Best type turkey call

turkeyed

What ever type you are confident in.

Myself I prefer diaphragm and pot calls. Every call in my vest is made by Kevin @ Pecker Wrecker Calls.

DBrannon

Any call you feel comfortable using that will make the majority of turkey sounds. Pot calls are easy to learn and contain a variety of different surfaces that can be user friendly. Box calls can be good locators or luring in calls. Mouth calls when he's close. Suction yelpers and scratch boxes can produce realistic sounds and great additions to your arsenal. I really can't put my hand on the "best" call to use. Just depends on what call the bird is responding to at that given moment.

sman

Mouth call.

But i do love my slates.

Pneumothorax

If I had to choose just one type it would be a mouth call.

Same here. But that's just wishful thinking for me. I've tried everything I could think of but I just can't seem to control the gag reflex I get from them.

So for me, the answer is a combination of my old Lynch Foolproof box call and an old slate I picked up years ago from somewhere. I'm no calling expert, but I make reasonable enough turkey sounds with them that gobblers seem to fall for them! That, and I often throw in the old scratching in the leaves trick and sometimes wings-simulating-flydown.

I bought one of Pecker Wrecker's glass calls several months back for my young son's first ever turkey call. And it sounds fantastic. Mr. Farr also sent mouth calls with it that my son likes to practice with.

burkehunter

I don't consider myself a good caller but have called them in with a box and mouth calls. I love a box but mouth calls once you get comfortable are hard to go without. My problem has been consistent calls from a mouth call.

Jody Hawk

For a newbie I always suggest a pot call. They sound very realistic and the yelp, cluck, cutt and purr are easy to make on this call.

Bucky T

GONetwork Member
Mouth Call for me.

Hands free, soft, loud, raspy, high pitched, can yelp, cut, purr, kee kee, cluck, heck some guys can even gobble with one. Lol!

gregg

I've killed 99% of my birds with mouth/pot calls....but, I am really digging box/scratch calls these days. The scratch calls have a very realistic, deep, popping, hollow cluck/cut sound that is hard to duplicate on any other call. They do take a bit more practice, but offer a unique tone to Mr. Tom. Try a scratch call, they are cheap and not many are used in the woods.

The mtn man

You should start out with a pot call, in the mean time master the diaphragm , and you should be good. I like some box calls , but havnt toted one in a few years, have a lynch world champion I handed down to my son that has over 2 dozen marks on it.