Better results this time dropping the string...

Barebowyer

I decided to mix it up a little and take a very hot stroll at a local WMA this afternoon. The heat was brutal but I wanted to return to where I had gotten on some pigs a couple of weeks ago. I had seen a group with some smaller pigs, a big fat sow, and a boar with kind of a white band of color on him. I had gotten within thirty yards of them twice during my last encounter and got winded sending them to another county.

Today would be different. After about sweating to death i thought, I decided to work my way back towards my truck near a lake as I had seen some fairly fresh sign there earlier. I was working a palmetto edge with a couple of higher spots containing sporadic oaks when I thought I had seen two automobile tires lying in the woods up ahead. I thought, "those weren't there earlier" just about the time one of them turned. "Duh." pigs! The wind was good for me(for once) and I moved in to within 25 yards or so fairly easily. I stood still against a tree trunk as one of the smaller pigs fed towards me. I could now see a bigger hog's(probably mama) back in the palmettos. The smaller pig continued to feed closer and got to about ten yards or so, facing me. Now, I had passed a couple of shots at real tiny pigs in Ga already trying to shoot the bigger in the group to no avail. I decided if one got sideways, I was going to let it rip, these lil guys were fat too! Pig turned sideways, I let it rip, pass through, pig crashes into palmettos and three others near the same size run out of there and across the opening. I wait a few minutes, sent a couple of texts, etc. I then see my arrow, walk over pick it up, stick it in ground, looks good. I hear something in the palmettos up ahead, bird possibly? Nope. I then see another pig looking at me from the edge, I assume trying to regroup with it's siblings. Okay, I knock another arrow. Pig #2 walks out about 16 yards broadside, I let it rip. Shot looks good and the arrow stops inside of the pig at the fletchings. I watch this one run 25 yards or so and flop. I track the first one and have about a 20 yard recovery. These are my first two pigs in Ga. with the tradbow and I am happy to have them. They are not monsters by any means, 37 and 44 lbs only, but I am happy to break that ice. Pics to follow when I can get them to post. Shoot straight and be safe everyone!!

Dakota Pro Hunter Recurve, 50@30.5"
Easton FMJ 400, 150 Gr. Muzzy Phantoms

jekilpat

Enjoyed the story. Sounds like an exciting hunt. Don't sweat the small stuff - heck, they're harder to hit. Congratulations.

dpoole

Those small ones making the dragging out job lots easier. congrat !!

deast1988

Congrats, well earned

Barebowyer

Pic

Pic

Attachments

• IMG_20160923_145534190.jpg
    IMG_20160923_145534190.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 282