Big guy....getting smaller....considering new fun

Dub

Howdy everyone.

Been poking around in here a bit and think I'm going to join in on the fun.

Had a back in injury a year and half ago and decided to help it to heal in a big way.....by getting less big. I've lost a pile of weight and began cardio and some weight training again. Feeling really good already even though I have a long way to go.

6'4" tall. 285 lbs. 47 years old. Decent swimmer (not frequent, though).

Not the most coordinated guy in the world but enjoy the outdoors. Haven't hunted and fished like I've wanted to over the past few years.....but hoping that improved health will lead to much more time afield.

I'm a ten minute drive from river, lake and canal boat ramps. I've already enough older freshwater fishing gear that is screaming to be used.

You probably can see where I'm heading with all this......I wanna poke around some and see if kayaking would be something that appeals to me.

My 16 year old son has been a few times and really enjoyed it. We are going to rent a couple and have some fun with them either this weekend or next...depending on work schedules.

Being able to put in locally with ease and get out there and enjoy being outdoors and getting some fishing in really seems like it'd be fun.

The exercise is really appealing, too.

My son, ever the conservationist, likes the self propelled, zero emissions aspects, too. He's a bit taller and much more lean than I. He'll have less drag and probably be tough to keep up with.....which will be good for this old guy.

I've not really worked up a budget or anything.....but want to investigate different models that would be stable platforms for he and I.

I drive a Nissan Frontier and he drives a Jeep Renegade. Not sure if his roof rack would suffice....or if it'd simply be easier to add a trailer hitch and look into a tandem trailer or some type of receiver hitch extension rack. Not really sure what's out there and what works.

With both vehicles we can come up with some creative drop off points so we can enjoy some downstream river runs in the future.....assuming this is something that I can comfortably get into.

I'd be considering buying two of them and whatever type of trailer-rack systems that are needed. It's gonna sting so I need to get plenty saddle time in the rentals to ensure this is something that will be well used and enjoyed.

From the brief poking around it seems that a stable sit-on-top fishing model would be the ticket. The Vibe Sea Ghost 13 looks like it would work for us......but I'm wide open to ideas and suggestions once I get further along.

A couple questions that come to mind:

• Do you use yours year round ?
  • How do you transport yours ?
  • Are you able to stand up in one within reasonable conditions ?
  • I can see the fishing application.....but would one be of any value to use for huting....getting into a tight stand location or otherwise ?
  • Dog friendly for a retriver dog ?

Anyway.....thanks for the great posts and helping an old dog possibly pick up a new trick.

There is a lot about this that holds appeal for me....I'll know a lot more after getting out on those rentals.

Anvil Head

Really test out the rentals and pay close attention to different seats and how they affect your back. There's a "new muscle" learning curve that can aggrevate the lower back when you first start so go easy early.
I'd leave the "stand-up" option open and get real familiar with the yaks first. I have an old Jackson Coosa that I stand-up fly fish from, but it's a little fussy in chop. I understand the newer models out there are a lot more stable in design, but have no experience with them (yet).
Congrats on your efforts to get-er-down-to-fighting-weight. That's a tough road. Working a yak will definitely help with the upper body cardio.
Think you're gonna find the trailer a bit more versatile and convenient, but my buddy and I just stick them in the back of our trucks and tie them down. I'm looking at building a trailer for the longer trips.

I hope you find a good fit and enjoy yakking as much as the rest of us do.

fish hawk

Bass Master
The Sea Ghost have been selling out before they arrive at the dealers and are very,very hard to find,now to answer your questions:
1-I use my kayak year round
2-I put my kayak in the bed of my truck,full sized, and strap it down,I have a old piece of carpet i lay down in the bed to cut down the wear on the bottom of the kayak.With a frontier and a jeep a trailer might be your best option
3-I can stand in mine.I have a Ascend fs 12T,but am sitting most of the time,I like the option of being able to stand and stretch,go to the bathroom and such.I'll be 50 this year am 5'11" and 180 lbs but the older I get the less agile I am and just feel more comfortable sitting.I would suggest choosing a kayak that has a comfortable seat,a lot of dealers have a pool that you can test the different models out in.
4- Yes kayaks can get you into areas a power boat will never see
5- I see folks with their dogs on yaks all the time.
I will add this,try our several PFD's and have your dealer help you with choosing the right paddle

Last edited:

DSGB

A kayak will open the door to areas that aren't accessible otherwise. I have an older Tarpon 120, which is fine for me, but probably not for a bigger guy. The seat is not as good as what comes in most of the newer boats, either. I can stand up in it in calm or slack water, but only do so if I need to stretch or get a better view of the water. I drive a Tacoma with a toolbox and I just throw it in the back with a bed extender that goes in the trailer hitch. I do not use mine year round, but I'm hoping to change that.

Randy

Look at wilderness Ride 135, Old Town Predator XL, ocean Kayk Big Game II,

I use mine year round, stand most of the time, of course they can and are used for more than fishing, and yes the bigger yaks allow for dogs. I have both trailers and a pickup. I prefer using the Pickup unless I need to take more than a few kayaks on a guide trip. And yes paddle every boat you can.

Randy

Also not sure where you live, but I am willing to take you fishing and see if the sport is for you...I live about 50 miles south of ATL.

leoparddog

So yes, where abouts are you located? There are a few kayak shops in GA that will let you sit in different models and feel how stable they are to you. Not a bad idea.

I just bought my second kayak and sat in, on the water, a Pescador Pro 12, Jackson Kilroy, Coosa HD, Tarpon 12X and a few others. I thought, they'd all be similar w/r/t stability but I was wrong. I think I made the right choice for me.

As a guy who weighs over 250#, the weight capacity of the kayak will also make a difference in how it feels to you (stability and maneuverability) when you sit in it. I'd recommend a kayak with at least a 375# limit if not #400.

I ended up with a Jackson Coosa HD.

It's great to hear that you're health is headed in the right direction. I'm sure your family appreciates it. I love kayak fishing because it's a great way to stay active and enjoy the outdoors. Very "New Southern" IMO. I always liked the saying: "Your life is as complicated as the number of internal combustion engines that you own" and I might sell my powerboat if I could figure out another way to tow the kids on a tube. My kayak advice is to get solo boats as long as you are comfortable loading onto the car or trailer. If you're committed to the sport, then I think Werner paddles are worth the money and so are Stohlquist PFD's. If you're fishing calm water with a buddy, then a canoe is probably your best option. Have fun, be safe, and I hope to see you out on the water!

And to answer your questions: I don't kayak when its really cold, but occasionally wear my waders in fall and spring. I transport on top of my car with crossbars, pool noodle, straps and a bowline. I'm 6'3", usually fish the Gulf and can't reliable stand in swells and fish in any kayak I've been in including a Hobie PA14 (Thats more of a SUP type activity for me). I wouldn't plan to stand and fish much and don't see much advantage when you're in a kayak fishing regular gear (not fly fishing). I don't see problem carrying a dog but it could tun into a real firedrill with big fish and treble hooks.

Last edited:

Dub

Crazy workday today.....beat tired....gonna read through the threads and digest everything a bit better over morning coffee tomorrow.....or maybe a cup of afternoon coffee today...lol.

I really appreciate all the insight from everyone. Randy, thanks for the fishing offer, too. I may make the trip one day and give it a go. Thank you !

Weather permitting....wife and I are going to hop on a pair of kayak rentals tomorrow afternoon and ride the Augusta canal.

Looking forward to it. She seems to be up for it. It's looking like a 100 degree day.....hope she's okay with that kind of heat.

I'll let you guys know how it goes.

I'm really excited about the prospects of this new way for us to enjoy the water and the outdoors.

Bream Pole

I've had wilderness system, ocean and jackson. I really like the Jackson because of back problems. Back never bothers me in the jackson. Old Town Predator looks good from a seat stand point, but never been in one. Jackson has a full line I'm 260 6' My jackson is a hybrid called a Tripper 12 and I love it. Very stable and paddles really well and of course has the Jackson seat.

Dub

I've had wilderness system, ocean and jackson. I really like the Jackson because of back problems. Back never bothers me in the jackson. Old Town Predator looks good from a seat stand point, but never been in one. Jackson has a full line I'm 260 6' My jackson is a hybrid called a Tripper 12 and I love it. Very stable and paddles really well and of course has the Jackson seat.

Back problems......and avoiding such are a high priority for me.

TyGeR

as another good size fella, (6'3 down to 269 from 280!) I can attest that it can be a pain to find gear we need to fit people of our size. If your 285, once you pack some gear, poles, small cooler for drinks/snack, you can add up another 50lb easy. So that would put you close to 350lb in your kayak. You asked about being dog friendly for a retriever, so that could be another 40 to 60LB depending on how big he is. So now your sitting at 400+LB for wight. These are just things to consider when looking at what to buy.

If you would be taking your pup with on often you may look at a two seatter.

Dub

I'm seriously leaning towards a Jackson Big Rig for me and a Coosa for my son.

Just need to win the lottery first, lol.

Anvil Head

as another good size fella, (6'3 down to 269 from 280!) I can attest that it can be a pain to find gear we need to fit people of our size. If your 285, once you pack some gear, poles, small cooler for drinks/snack, you can add up another 50lb easy. So that would put you close to 350lb in your kayak. You asked about being dog friendly for a retriever, so that could be another 40 to 60LB depending on how big he is. So now your sitting at 400+LB for wight. These are just things to consider when looking at what to buy.

If you would be taking your pup with on often you may look at a two seatter.

Wise words here.......way to easy to "overload" a yak. My policy is to never load more than I want to lose. You might also want to consider a stowable "Here I am" flag incase the water traffic gets a little busy. Yaks are hard to see when you're not paying attention.

Apex Predator

The Jackson Big Rig is an awesome boat, and perfect for you!

Dub

Took a vacation day from work today and spent it having fun with my son. We timed the weather perfectly as we go in a 6 mile paddle trip.....home and fired up the grill and were eating when the bottom fell out and cooled off the grill and washed our cars. :cool:

Stability not the greatest in this rental....not way I could stand.....even with an assist strap. Could've easily fished sitting, though. I'll take a rod'n'reel next time and have some fun.

Learned that hand placement has a big impact on how efficient things run. Placement position in pic...but obviously upside down. Found some centering marks on paddle and went equidistant outward from there....palms down. I found a position that didn't hurt my torn rotator cuff in right shoulder a bit. I could pull on that thing all day. Very encouraging.

Plenty of fishy looking spots on our short trip today.

Teenage T-Rex was a natural. He's done this a few times before.

DSGB

Looks like you were in a Wilderness Tarpon (120?). I can stand up in mine, but I seldom do and only in flat water.

Dub

Definitely cooler room on them @thc_clubPres

I looked at some FeelFree Lure 13.5 models today. Looked at the Jackson CoosaHD yesterday.

Nice to know there are some big-guy-friendly options out there. Lot's of stuff to ponder as I make up my mind.

Last edited: