Bird attack!

doe shooter

I have been hunting for forty years and this morning while sitting in my climber, about 20 feet up a pine, a bird attacked me. It was right at 7 a.m. and the bird flew from behind me, just over my right shoulder, close enough i felt the wind from its wings. It lit in a tree right in front of me. It was too dark to tell what it was. Then it flew right at me and as i moved, it veered off. Then less than a minute later, it came from behind me again, hitting my left shoulder. At this point, I put my gun in front of my face and as i did that, the bird flew past and lit in a tree about 20 feet away. That was the last i saw of it. It was brown, no bigger than a blue jay. It was not a barred owl. That has never happend to me and since it was relatively dark, i could only see the bird when it was moving. Does anyone have any ideas what it was and what it was doing? there were no droppings around the tree to indicate it was roosting.

fatboy84

It was looking for a place to use the bathroom and you kept it from going on you, so it probably exploded and died. :hair: ::ke:

I would guess it had a nest somewhere close and was trying to run you off.

hnter270

it was a distration attempt. bambis daddy hired him to distract you while he walked under your stand

SADDADDY

a turkey almost got me

when I about 19 I was sitting on an edge of a chop and had the sun in my eyes and noticed something coming at me, dang old tom flying to roost about knocked me out of my climber :hair:

I don't know which one was more scared me or him :eek:

fatboy84

Never had a bird attack me in my stand, but had a squirel jump into the tree I was in. He started climbing down the tree and never saw me. When he got about 3 feet over my head, I figured I didn't want him to climb in the stand with me or own me, so I moved my hand a littel to shoo him away.

It scared him so bad that when he turned to run up the tree he left behind couple os small surprises. Had to flick Squirrel poop off my camos. :mad: :rofl:

slightly grayling

Mocking Birds and

Brown Trashers will do that...I've seen a Mocking bird nail (beak) a guy in the back for getting too close to it's nest.

doe shooter

i have had brown thrashers and mocking birds buzz me when i got too close to their nest. But this has me puzzled since it was too early for those birds to be out and they have long quit nesting.

308winchester

just last sunday evening i had a small hawk land in a tree behind me :hair: scared the bejevous outa me . then he took off another thirty yards . hunting squirrels i guess :eek:

Skipper

Banned
I had a great horned owl scare the jeebers out of me in a tree last year. Darned thing wouldn't leave even with me poking it with a rifle. Them thangs got a beak on them that'd open up a #10 can.

Skipper