boiled okra

35 Whelen

Fried okra - Delicious
Stewed okra with tomatoes - Fair, not my favorite
Raw okra - Never tried it, probably won't
Boiled okra - Feed it to the hogs

crackerdave

I like the baby pods steamed.Fry the bigger ones.
I also like some cut okra in my hushpuppy batter.

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
As much as I love fried okra a d okra in a veggie soup, man I can't stand it boiled.

Although it's been probably 35 or 40 years since I've been force feed it (and chitlins so I guess I could possibly like them now. No reason to find out though

gadeerwoman

When boiling you have to avoid over cooking. Boil until a folk goes in fairly easily and it's done. Too big a pods and over cooking creates that slime. But still it's good for folks with no teeth...slides right down. (and Yes, I still have all my teeth..my dentist can vouch for me)

Big7

The Oracle
I like it boiled whole with some vinegar or pepper sauce and salt.

Fried is good too if you catch it right out of the fryer while it's still crispy.

Big7

The Oracle
Okra is good in stews and gumbo because the "slime" thickens the stock. Same with skin- on squash and zucchini.

fatback

We eat a bunch around my place. Pan fried in bacon grease is probably our favorite. We also eat it breaded and deep fried, pickled and stewed down with tomatoes. I vacuum sealed 15 quart sized bags today for the freezer. Also got a pot going with some and some tomatoes. That will be served over rice as part of supper tonight. Love it in gumbo and vegetable soup, just not a fan of the boiled preparation.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Can't stand slimy boiled okra, but I can eat half a dishpan full of it fried.

This right here. ^ Save the other half of that dish pan for me. I'm on the way!

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I can eat a heapin helpin of okra anyway but boiled. Can’t do that slimey stuff, my Mom cooked it boiled. :sick:

ambush80

Tossed in an olive oil and herb drizzle and grilled is awesome. Split the big ones lengthwise.