bow vs. crossbow

this guy is against crossbows but in gun season hes probally hunting with a gun . cant get much easier than that

jneil

Go back about thirty years and this discussion would be about the compound bow.

mikey

wow this one was covered in dust. if its legal, and you want to use it, guess what you can. have fun be safe and dont worry about the small stuff.

O

Otis

bump! so where do we stand now? I just bought a crossbow because I naturally want to pull with my right hand, but I am left eye dominate.

Cleankill47

A little something for the pot...

Just a thought, but if you really wanted it to be 'fair chase', then why not track one particular deer, and then stalk it and take it down with a knife hafted to a short shaft at contact distance? People used to do that, you know. :bounce::banana::bounce::whip:

I have a compound, and I have absolutely no problem drawing and taking the shot (no sights, no release, thank you), but I would love to have a recurve, and a longbow, and a crossbow, etc, etc... Basically, the point is, isn't it nice to have a few types of weapons in your house that you can pick based on what you feel the best with on that particular day? Isn't that just great? I like the fact that I could use a crossbow if I had one, because it would probably be a lot of fun. And I don't care what other hunters use, as long as it's legal and they use it responsibly. Isn't that the whole idea?

Just my $.02

firebreather

My Excalibur is a recurve crossbow. I restring it each season. Its good out to 40 yards max. I also have to practice with it and pick out the best bolts and broadheads. Its one shot.

My Fred Bear vapor 300 I can

shoot 4 arrows 20-40 yards and be on target before I could recock my crossbow.......Now which one has the advantage over which....:whip:

Pls give me a break one shot one kill and for as. Four to one maybe some people but not me with my setup any day 5ollar for dollar

gpigate

Robert,

Search for Ispell, it is a freebie that checks pretty well.

Jim

use fire fox instead of IE. it will show you when a word is misspelled in any text field or text area. fire fox by mozilla is free. there are tons and tons of advantages of fire fox over IE... but that is a different thread ;)

brkbowma

I bought me a crossbow Saturday, 1 in. groupings at 40 yards! That's what I'm talking about!:shoot::shoot::shoot:

bowtie

A big fat Nanny doe - Double-lung takedown... Of course, I guess I'll be called lazy since I did drive the 4-wheeler into the foods to pick her up... :rolleyes:

yep you are lazy..........................me too...i don't drag nothing anymore....love them 4-wheelers:bounce::bounce:

toolmkr20

Ignorance

Can I weigh in on this? Remember this is my opinion only but.......

I think gun season should be for firearms and bow seasons should be for bows. Personally I don't even agree with seperate seasons but that's the way it is.

As for crossbows well they don't really fit either season. But they are held like a gun, fired like a gun and they are closer to a firearm in action and accuracy than a bow so I think that is where they belong. I feel sorry for those who can't pull a bow but you still have gun season. I mean what if I have a handicap and can not take the recoil of a rifle? Can I get a tank season?

How far do we divide this stuff up? Let's have one season and you use what you want or we could have a firearm season and a bow season but all this primitive seasons, crossbow stuff is getting to be too much.

Can I get a 7mm-08 season?
Why should someone that is handicaped have to wait till gun season to hunt. My father is a normally active person but has Degenerative disk disease that doesn't allow him to pull back a compound. For years he wouldn't bow hunt because of people downing him for wanting to hunt with a crossbow. Anyone with a handicap should be allowed the same amount of time in the woods as everyone that is healthy. He has missed a lot of time in the woods because of ignorant people that do not:banginghe:banginghe:banginghe:banginghe:banginghe have the problems of others!

whitworth

Tough hunting in Georgia for the traditionalist

I mean there is no tradition, to speak of.

In Pennsylvania, traditionalists are happy. No Sunday hunting. No using crossbows in archery season. I think there is still a primitive hunting season where only flintlock rifles, with open sights are used.

Tough to use the "still" hunt method when so many ambush a deer from a tree stand, perched and hidden in a tree.

Why the archery season starts in the heat of "summer". Won't even wait til the leaves ever change colors.

In the immortal words of Chester A. Riley, "What a revoltin' development this is!"

OLEKAZ

lots of interesting replies here. but unless i missed it no one stated this about using scopes or red dots. i wear glasses now. which means i can not see the sites of my muzzle loader. so i use a scope. why because i have to if i intend to be able to hunt.

i also hunted with a bow for 20 yrs,both recurve and compound. i never used any form of sites on the bows. all instinct and i could outshoot most people that used pins. braggin,maybe,but i practiced every day which meant i got good at shooting it.

i now use a crossbow. why..was in a plane crash in the early 70's. back and neck really messed up. could no longer use a bow. i also have a red dot on the crossbow.why cause i cant see the pins.

so some of you can make all the remarks you want against scopes,red dots and crossbows. but the bottom line is that there are many people out there,myself included that would not be able to hunt any more had it not been for these other "choices" to use. and i love to hunt and i will also use what ever it takes to make that hunt happen.

your day is comming when the eyes fail or if you get injured. then its either pick up a crossbow or put a scope on your muzzle loader or stay home..whats it gonna be then? i bet you will change your attitude then. that day will come and you will remember what you said here to i hope.

Randy

Why should someone that is handicaped have to wait till gun season to hunt. My father is a normally active person but has Degenerative disk disease that doesn't allow him to pull back a compound. For years he wouldn't bow hunt because of people downing him for wanting to hunt with a crossbow. Anyone with a handicap should be allowed the same amount of time in the woods as everyone that is healthy. He has missed a lot of time in the woods because of ignorant peoplethat do not:banginghe:banginghe:banginghe:banginghe:banginghe have the problems of others!

We had exceptions for those with handicaps before the law was changed.

BTW, this was a "past" post that should have been left there!

jimmystriton

you guys are all trying ot talk yourselfs into the right by hunting with a crossbow. To many peopl ebought them at the local wal mart because they are to lazy to by a compound or long bow and practice. You cant just by a crossbow and then you are telling peopl ehow you killed a deer with a bow....not true. I agree they should be used....by handicapable peopl eonly durin gthe archery season. If all you other lazy people want to use them then wait till gun season then use them. You are under a big misconception if you think they are as leathal as a compound or long bow. Way too many people think they can hit an animal at 50 yards and do it with no problem because they can do it in the backyard......too many wounded deer since the whole crossbow thing came around..........It is nothing more than a sorry excuse for laziness just like many other things in our ever so dying society...............