Ethical Urban Hunting Please!!!!

paulito

Got a call from the wife while at work yesterday and she was VERY upset and in tears. Took the dogs out in back yard and discovered this old 6 point curled up outside the fence. Told her I would come home and take care of it. Called DNR who said to just call the local SO. SO got there before I did but bumped him and could not dispatch him. SO when he left said, Dude if you get a clean shot and can safely do it go ahead and drop him, there won't be an issue.

Long story short, he's dead. To be clear, i've got NO issue what so ever with someone sticking a deer in the Urban setting. Thought about doing it a time or two from my back deck but just didn't want to ruffle the feathers of the neighbors. I was even lucky enough to get chosen to hunt the blankets creek bike trails this year. That being said, please lets be ethical, responsible hunters about it. This guy was running around with a crossbow bolt stuck in his gut. I agree a lot can happen with archery but for a crossbow i would say this shot was really bad. Way back and very low. Now we come to my main issue.......IT WAS A FIELD TIP!!!:mad::mad::mad: Just a poor poor decision on someone's part. I know many of you will say that "this wasn't a hunter" that did this but i would counter with, as soon as they pulled the trigger they became a hunter and started representing the rest of us to nonhunters that saw this. We just have to stay vigilant in educating people to make better decisions so we can keep this sport/way of life we love.

OK rant over. Thanks for reading

Attachments

• 20230119_162606.jpg
    20230119_162606.jpg
    922.5 KB · Views: 381
  • image000000(4).jpg
    image000000(4).jpg
    728.7 KB · Views: 382

oldways

Did you use the deer? I am thinking you did if you knew it was a field tip. And if so thank you for doing your part. He didn’t go to waste

Buford_Dawg

I hear you... And agree. One of many reasons hunters continue to get a bad name. Alot of ignorance within our community. I hope you were able to salvage the meat.

Taco4x4

Wow sorry your wife had to experience that. I agree with what you said about the person that pulled the trigger representing hunters in general.
That looks like a Carbon Express Piledriver bolt which should have blown threw that deer even with a field point. 40 yards or less crossbows almost always pass through. My guess is someone saw that buck at a good distance and grabbed the first bolt they saw and went for it. Wrong in every way and needs to learn to respect the animal and adjacent land owners.

I’m gonna say it just as it is whoever shot that deer with a field point is a dang idiot ! No excuse for that… I suppose it’s possible it may have been dark and whoever could have grabbed the wrong bolt not realizing it.. having said that it’s your responsibility. Bad hits happen could been a limb or anything that may have deflected the arrow happens to us all there.

DynamicDennis

I was under the impression the season was over in GA. I would have to guess it was some under-educated kids, or at least I would hope it was.

across the river

I was under the impression the season was over in GA. I would have to guess it was some under-educated kids, or at least I would hope it was.
There are several counties in urban areas that stay open archery only until Jan.31.

Problem is, there isn’t a way to be an “ethical” urban hunter in most locations.
There are plenty of “unethical” people hunting in the boonies, they just aren’t as visible.

Taco4x4

Muscogee County in Columbus is open till 31'st
Monday morning shot my personal best 12 point at 23 yards with a crossbow. Complete pass through ran 30 yards stopped and fell over.
G5 Montec NOT a field tip. There are houses close by but they will never know I was there. I wont even field dress a deer till I'm far enough away the buzzards wont draw any attention.

across the river

Must be Cherokee county since he said he was drawn for the ridiculously overhyped bike trail hunt.
There are 20 plus counties in which the season is still in, most around Hotlanta. Scroll down to the extended archery section.

Sixes

There are 20 plus counties in which the season is still in, most around Hotlanta. Scroll down to the extended archery section.

Absolutely, but to be drawn for the bike trail hunt, you must be a citizen of Cherokee county.

So, if the OP said the deer was in his backyard and he was drawn for the bike trail hunt, then he should reside in Cherokee county

jbogg

I would hope that someone would never purposely use a field tip for hunting, but to suggest that it is inexcusable for a bad shot to occur when using a crossbow is naïve. Plenty of guys get buck fever, regardless of the weapon they are holding. I couldn’t begin to count the number of deer I have seen over 30 years that were hit poorly with a rifle shot.

bany

I’m not surprised some moron shot a little buck with a field tip. The moron probably thought it was a trophy!
Not sure why anyone would start in on urban hunters because some moron was being a moron.
This was maybe a punk kid or younger moron but most likely the same kinda moron that shoots a 4point on a quality wma and leaves it in the woods.

My guess is a neighborhood kid, on his way to being a class A1 adult idiot. Exact same story as the kids that shot the goose last year. In a Neighborhood.
Show is a good amount of folks who do some really ignorant things these days .. lord knows I was dumb at times growing up

Waddams

Just my humble thought - Urban Deer Hunting isn't hunting, it's just deer killing. I believe there's a place for it - the suburban deer populations in some areas are insanely high. Culling the herd and getting some deer burgers out of it is fine with me. Just do it in a responsible manner - ie don't use a field tip on a crossbow bolt. Maybe it was also a deflected shot but the field tip is a dead giveaway that the shooter was imbecile, shot deflection or not.