Ethical Urban Hunting Please!!!!

Resica

I’m not surprised some moron shot a little buck with a field tip. The moron probably thought it was a trophy!
Not sure why anyone would start in on urban hunters because some moron was being a moron.
This was maybe a punk kid or younger moron but most likely the same kinda moron that shoots a 4point on a quality wma and leaves it in the woods.
Who cares how big the rack is? Be just as bad if it was a doe.

Resica

Just my humble thought - Urban Deer Hunting isn't hunting, it's just deer killing. I believe there's a place for it - the suburban deer populations in some areas are insanely high. Culling the herd and getting some deer burgers out of it is fine with me. Just do it in a responsible manner - ie don't use a field tip on a crossbow bolt. Maybe it was also a deflected shot but the field tip is a dead giveaway that the shooter was imbecile, shot deflection or not.
What's your definition of urban? I live in southeastern Pa. and used to bow hunt and gun hunt in suburbia. It's been suburbia here for a long time. Weren't hunting near neighborhoods normally. Around commercial buildings and highways and such. The deer were not pets for sure!

westcobbdog

I thought a field tip is illegal to even possess much less use it on a deer kinda like having a spinner with a treble hook in your box fishing Waters Creek.

krizia829

Wow.. what a shame.. Beautiful buck too! Anything could've caused a bad shot but to use a field tip? That's just straight up careless and stupid. Glad he isn't suffering anymore.. I'd euro mount him on the wall to give him his respect he deserves!

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
My guess is a neighborhood kid, on his way to being a class A1 adult idiot. Exact same story as the kids that shot the goose last year. In a Neighborhood.
This.^

sprewett

I really want to hunt my back yard because I know they are there and it would be a good way to fill the freezer, but that is what I am afraid of. I definitely would be using an expandable broadhead but it could easily run into my neighbor's yard. So probably for that very reason I will not do it. I will say that even though I live basically in the city they are still skittish and not tame by far. The meat is enticing but being in a stand hearing traffic, ambulances, and the city life kind of overshadows the appeal. Plus lots better exercise hiking over the mtns to get to your place. But to each is thier own.

bany

Who cares how big the rack is? Be just as bad if it was a doe.
The moron shooting? I wasn’t implying except for maybe a motive. It could have been a fawn or someone’s dog or anything for that matter.
Sorry, I’m not giving any benefit of doubt. I don’t believe it was an accident using a field tip.

srb

Nothing to be proud of there
What person in the right mind would do something like this?

paulito

Sorry for delayed response. As luck would have it, i had already planned on taking a half day from work today to run down to hunt camp and bring the golf cart back. Took him down and did my best to salvage as much meat as i could. Its sitting in a cooler aging on ice. Time will tell if he was septic an the meat is still any good. Theres just no telling how long he had been crawling aroun with that bolt in him. He was gut shot for sure and it was very "aromatic" to say the least,

Yes i'm in cherokee and yes we can still hunt til the 31st with archery. I don't have a spot up here so i'm done. I live by the lake so we are covered up in deer to say the least. To be clear i don't have an issue with someone taking a shot at a deer over here. They need to be thinned out bad cuz it is getting almost as bad as it used o be a redtop. My issue is and was the field tip. just not a smart choice at all. I would think it woudl need to be nearly perfect hit and pass thru for a field point to have even a chance at making a clean and what i consider an "ethical" kill.

Yes, i hunted one of the blankets creek hunts. I actually had a good time and would do it again. Didn't have a shot but it is archery only so tougher than people think even tho there are a bunch of deer over there. Really pretty woods so it was fun just to have the opportunity to sit and try. Bumped two when i got in to my grid and saw another later in the hunt but was out of bow range. It happens. Still a fun hunt.

basshappy

BANNED
You'd think if you were going to hunt in an area where non-hunters live, work and play, you would bring your A-Game, no excuses. Why risk tracking a deer, especially if it drops on private property and they forbid you from stepping on their property to recover the deer. Let alone chance poor shot placement and have non-hunters watching a wounded Rudolph / Bambi.

Stop with the "it happens to all of us" because that is just inaccurate. Poor shot placement, shot deflection due to unseen branch, etc., does NOT happen to all of us. Nothing happens to everyone in life aside from death. However that buck came to be with that arrow in his gut is the responsibility of the one who let that arrow fly. That person chose to pick up the arrow and bow/crossbow, chose to go hunt deer, chose to harvest that deer. Branch got in the way? 100% on the archer. Deer moved too quickly? 100% on the archer. Wrong arrow / tip? 100% on the archer. No matter how you paint this picture the sole responsibility lies on the archer.

ucfireman

Stop with the "it happens to all of us" because that is just inaccurate. Poor shot placement, shot deflection due to unseen branch, etc., does NOT happen to all of us.
I read these posts every year. "Hunt long enough and you will lose one". The posts on here are for archery, crossbow, rifle handgun and any combination. Some are scope was off, Some are shot was too far, others are bad angles.
Everyone is bashing this as the person made that bad shot on purpose.
I don't know what happened here. The only thing I can say is the field tip is wrong. And illegal.
As for the shot placement? Who knows. As for why it was tracked and recovered? Who knows. Only the person who shot it and we will never know the true story.
Everyone is an expert when they are speculating.

Big7

The Oracle
Prolly the worst shot ever with a crossbow.

Sickening.

basshappy

BANNED
I read these posts every year. "Hunt long enough and you will lose one". The posts on here are for archery, crossbow, rifle handgun and any combination. Some are scope was off, Some are shot was too far, others are bad angles.
Everyone is bashing this as the person made that bad shot on purpose.

I just find it extremely difficult to understand how there can be so many poor shots bow and bullet combined every year. Especially bullet.

Traveling more than 2,000 FPS few deer are going to move so quickly that a proper shot is displaced into a poor shot. It has to be the shot should have never been taken in the first place because the actual shot before release or squeeze was bad (poor). So why take a bad shot to begin with? Just does not make sense.

ucfireman

I just find it extremely difficult to understand how there can be so many poor shots bow and bullet combined every year. Especially bullet.

Traveling more than 2,000 FPS few deer are going to move so quickly that a proper shot is displaced into a poor shot. It has to be the shot should have never been taken in the first place because the actual shot before release or squeeze was bad (poor). So why take a bad shot to begin with? Just does not make sense.
Im not disagreeing with you. Im just pointing out that every season you hear it, "it happens", especially during the early season. People post about losing one and looking all over to find it dead a few days/weeks later. or to shoot it again a month later or just not finding it.
They "rush the shot" on the biggest deer of their life etc. He just wouldn't present "the perfect shot". And all sorts of other.
And most post are supportive of the bad shot or lost animal.
The only thing I know for sure (and that is what was reported) that happened wrong was it was shot with a field tip, everything else is speculation.

Sixes

Other than the stupidity of the field point usage, the shot looks to me like it was only about 3 inches from perfection.

3 inches to the left takes out the heart, 3 inches up and to the left takes out the heart and lungs. 3 inches higher still takes out the liver, which I assume is what killed this buck.

If a hunter tells me that he hits an exactly perfect shot every time, bow or gun, then he either hasn't killed more than a couple of deer or he isn't telling the truth.

Here is something else to ponder on. Yes it’s a field tip we are told. With that being a crossbow and a field point, that isn’t very much penetration for a gut shot. That was either a really long shot, a weak old crossbow or shot Through something that slowed that bolt down so much it got very little penetration. Gut, field tip, crossbow yep should have blowed straight through that and been stuck in the ground some where. None of that changes anything juss sumpn surely seems a miss with this scenario. You could expect that maybe with a bone hit but with that area of the body there isn’t much resistance that’s gonna slow down a bow or crossbow with a field tip ..

cowhornedspike

If a hunter tells me that he hits an exactly perfect shot every time, bow or gun, then he either hasn't killed more than a couple of deer or he isn't telling the truth.
Well said.
Stop with the "it happens to all of us" because that is just inaccurate. Poor shot placement, shot deflection due to unseen branch, etc., does NOT happen to all of us.
Not so well said... JMHO

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
What bugs me is Ga can have 400 thousand awesome everything goes wonderful hunts and 1 bad poor hunt, (and the general non hunting community), will always talk about the poor hunt. The stories spread like a wildfire or a zombie virus in the non hunting who don't choose a side and in the aniti hunting communities.
I'm glad the op as a hunter knew what to do and put that fine buck ta rest finally