Urban Deer

Tight Lines

This guy was out in mid-day today. We talked to him, whistled, yelled, dogs barked, all while we are on the back deck 25-35 yards from him. He flashed his tail a bit, but just kept right on eating. Never alerted, never snorted, didn't run off, ate until he was done and then just moved on down the creek. He was there yesterday morning with 6 does. He kept running them off the feeder...same thing...we whistled, yelled, dogs barked, talked to him...nothing. Just kept eating and was more worried about running the does off than us.

Keep in mind, we are still in season, I could have arrowed him no issue...

Folks that say the city deer are as wild as anything on their leases haven't been around here is all I can say...

I'll shoot some video but it's more work than it's worth to upload video...

IMG_6461.jpeg

bany

I suspect if it was very quiet and you eased down for a 20 yard shot there may be a different outcome.
I walked past one this morning about 60 yards away. If I would have stopped walking it would have bogeyed. If I was picking my nose in a tree it wouldn’t be pleased either. But it looks like your deer may eat out of your hand!

Good looking buck ! What hanging bracket is that for your feeder ? Interested in how it’s attached to tree and do you winch it up and down ..

BamaGeorgialine

I suspect if it was very quiet and you eased down for a 20 yard shot there may be a different outcome.
I walked past one this morning about 60 yards away. If I would have stopped walking it would have bogeyed. If I was picking my nose in a tree it wouldn’t be pleased either. But it looks like your deer may eat out of your hand!
The outcome would have been much different. For the deer anyway because I'd be eating fresh backstraps

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Folks that say the city deer are as wild as anything on their leases haven't been around here is all I can say...
Go actually hunt them and then come back and tell us your results. I'm not talking about "hunting" them over a feeder in your backyard from your deck. Put yourself in a tree in a woodlot and let that fella walk by. He'll be in Forsyth county before you can get your bow up.

Waddams

I have to say, I'd see if I could spread some feed closer to the deck, get him or a lady friend to come in just a bit closer, and put a broadhead through one. I have no objection to being non-sporty if it results in more backstrap, roasts, and deer burgers. Extra antlers can be a memorial to that guy getting too comfortable if he follows the trail of food into easy shot range.

Hunter922

I have to say, I'd see if I could spread some feed closer to the deck, get him or a lady friend to come in just a bit closer, and put a broadhead through one. I have no objection to being non-sporty if it results in more backstrap, roasts, and deer burgers. Extra antlers can be a memorial to that guy getting too comfortable if he follows the trail
Careful that type of attitude will get you in the next Sneek One video... :)

Tight Lines

Go actually hunt them and then come back and tell us your results. I'm not talking about "hunting" them over a feeder in your backyard from your deck. Put yourself in a tree in a woodlot and let that fella walk by. He'll be in Forsyth county before you can get your bow up.
If I wanted to hunt them I'd be processing a deer right now. These ARE the urban deer that hunters hunt...I have those deer in the woodlot...it's called "hunting" in the "wild" and thank you for making my point!

Tight Lines

Good looking buck ! What hanging bracket is that for your feeder ? Interested in how it’s attached to tree and do you winch it up and down ..
And yes it is a hoist...the feeder is like a 30 gallon barrel and will hold about 100 days of corn or so...I feed the deer and squirrels corn, sunflower seeds, feed blocks, etc. out back year around...

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
If I wanted to hunt them I'd be processing a deer right now. These ARE the urban deer that hunters hunt...I have those deer in the woodlot...it's called "hunting" in the "wild" and thank you for making my point!

Those are not the urban deer I have hunted and I've done a good bit of it. The deer that will walk across the parking lot and not give you a second look are the same ones that will come out of their skin if they see you in a tree stand.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member