Urban Deer

Tight Lines

I think it's all kind of subjective. Elfi's example of hunting in the swamp behind the office. He was hunting somewhere that people don't typically go. If there were human activity constantly in that swamp, then the deer wouldn't have been nearly as easy to spook. I used to live in a neighborhood on Lake Jackson and shooting the "pet" deer in the neighborhood was off limits. Momma's rule. But they would let us come outside and get within a few feet of them while they were feeding. Wouldn't ever spook and could have easily been killed. My hunting club was across the cove on 300 acres and it was a totally different story over there. In these neighborhoods where they are being hand fed by every other neighbor and are accustomed to people being in the "woods" they are 100% easier to kill.
Exactly. That pinch point in my back yard is never devoid of human scent, and there is always a leaf blower, kid, or dog yet they slink through there every day, twice per day. If they were as skittish as the deer on my lease, never happen. If I was trying to walk into their bedding areas up and down the creek, I suspect a different story.

My in-laws live on Lake Jackson and the deer actually follow them in the golf cart like dogs or chickens...while they toss corn out...and if they don't toss the corn out the deer get real aggressive and close trying to get to the buckets...

Them must be short bus deer... :)

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
I have to fence and/or electric wire all my plants I don't want eaten by deer here at Lake Seminole. A fence plus a solar electric wire is required to keep them out of my small garden. I've tried having a loud radio playing, sweaty shirts hanging around and neither worked long. Deer ate my fig trees, citrus, hibiscus, plum, pear and tomato plants. Mostly at night, but we do see them often during the day.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
I think it's all kind of subjective. Elfi's example of hunting in the swamp behind the office. He was hunting somewhere that people don't typically go. If there were human activity constantly in that swamp, then the deer wouldn't have been nearly as easy to spook.

Exactly. Did you notice the "Suwanee Creek Trail" literally across the creek bank from the swamp? People are on that trail all day every day. There are people all around that swamp all the time. The deer don't pay any attention to them. A human in the swamp is a completely different matter.

I could sit in my stand and see the rooftop of the building behind me and hear people talking in the parking lot. Deer walking through that pinch would pay no never mind but if I so much as batted one eyelash it was helter skelter.

Mike 65

Just my opinion but I`m positive that deer and other prey type critters can see posture in a person or other predator and can also possibly sense attitude. A good way to see this is to watch predator - prey interactions on the African plains. I`ve also proved it to myself that even if you are hidden and downwind of deer if you stare at it nonstop, it won`t take long for it to get nervous and jumpy. Turkeys are even more so.

Try it for yourself and see.
I was thought early on to never look them in the eyes.

Jim Boyd

I am never going to understand the hysteria, whining and arguing that any deer - including urban and suburban ones - generates.

They are just that - a deer - no matter where they live.

A dead one is just that… a dead one.

Where there are too many, some should be removed.

Where there are not enough, we should work to protect them and help them multiply.

It ain’t much more complicated than that, at least IMHO.

Gbr5pb

Was sitting on couch watching Georgia game in November. Looking out living room window 4 picking up acorns under big white oak beside driveway! At halftime stepped out basement door with crossbow looked through rangefinder 40 yards raised crossbow and they had vaporized right in front of me

Tight Lines

I am never going to understand the hysteria, whining and arguing that any deer - including urban and suburban ones - generates.

They are just that - a deer - no matter where they live.

A dead one is just that… a dead one.

Where there are too many, some should be removed.

Where there are not enough, we should work to protect them and help them multiply.

It ain’t much more complicated than that, at least IMHO.
Well said Jim...