bow vs. crossbow

patchestc

if u don't like crossbows, don't hunt with them.
as for me, i like em, and use em.

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
use fire fox instead of IE. it will show you when a word is misspelled in any text field or text area. fire fox by mozilla is free. there are tons and tons of advantages of fire fox over IE... but that is a different thread ;)

gpig...this thread is from 04 I think and I dont think FF had a spell check back then:bounce:

I have been a loyal FF user for a bunch of years since

kry226

you guys are all trying ot talk yourselfs into the right by hunting with a crossbow. To many peopl ebought them at the local wal mart because they are to lazy to by a compound or long bow and practice. You cant just by a crossbow and then you are telling peopl ehow you killed a deer with a bow....not true. I agree they should be used....by handicapable peopl eonly durin gthe archery season. If all you other lazy people want to use them then wait till gun season then use them. You are under a big misconception if you think they are as leathal as a compound or long bow. Way too many people think they can hit an animal at 50 yards and do it with no problem because they can do it in the backyard......too many wounded deer since the whole crossbow thing came around..........It is nothing more than a sorry excuse for laziness just like many other things in our ever so dying society...............

Oh, yeah, it's SO much more work to pull a bow back. All that EXTRA effort require to pull a bow just made me wanna go down to the Gettin' Place and drop some serious coin on a crossbow. Hope my cholesterol doesn't hit the roof since I'm so lazy now that I own a crossbow. I guess I'll have to add an extra mile to my daily PT regimen since I own a crossbow.

But wait, I also own and hunt with a vertical compound bow. Of course to the traditional archers, I and and about two billion other people are lazy too.

It's a shame we're all so lazy. Matter of fact, why don't we just burn all our weapons, start wearin' loin cloths and killin' our deer the old fashioned way.

Since you're so un-lazy, I bet you shoot a flintlock smoothbore during muzzleloader season, don't ya?

OLEKAZ

a flintlock smoothbore during muzzleloader season, don't ya?[/QUOTE]

lol...tell ya what..i tried that. its harddddddd ya better be point blank thats for sure. forget about aiming.just point and shoot,it works out better.hahahahaha it also seemed like everytime i used flintlock,,,it rained.

i had no idea this thread was from o4...talk about raising the dead.lol..

i wonder why they dont close threads here after x-amount of time? seems almost pointless to bring up a 4 yr old thread. if i had read the date i would haev never posted,that for sure.

and as for spell checker..i really dont care as i type using the hunt and peck method. i am lucky to get most of my words spelled right trying to type woth 2 fingers as fast as i can.:) and i for sure aint gonna go back and fix an error as it take long enough to type for me as it is.:biggrin3:

DaddyPaul

bump! so where do we stand now? I just bought a crossbow because I naturally want to pull with my right hand, but I am left eye dominate.

A patch that could be worn over your left eye or a blinder on the brim of your cap would have probably been a little cheaper? :huh::bounce:

I have two buds (they are cousins) who are in the same boat, 'cept for the crossbows. They just use a patch to force them to aim with their right eye at full draw. :flag:

toolmkr20

We had exceptions for those with handicaps before the law was changed.

BTW, this was a "past" post that should have been left there!
Past post! Sounds like your just scared of someone standing up to people like you and highcountry.

Thunder

true bowhunting

I did not read any responses to your post except for yours due to the number, and probably many different views.

Here is mine without reading past the post:

I bow hunted for many years until my accident. I don't anymore....

I have hunted since I was a young boy, and still enjoy every moment in the woods (51 now). When I chose to bowhunt, I used a shoshonnee long bow with cedar arrrows and bird feather fletching, and honed my own single broadheads that I glued onto the shaft (man, I loved working that prior to the season!). MY CHOICE. I wanted to be a true primitive hunter when I was able. Yep, they had to get within 15 yards, but made me more aware of everything in my setting. Some of my friends hunted with state of the art compound bows with stabalizers, ect.and shot at 40 yards. NO PROBLEM, their choice. We were happy for anyone that was successful. They actually called me "Lucky leafy longbow Larry" due to my camo. Hey it is what it is...:cool:

Now I don't bow hunt at all, due to the fact that I can't do it my way....primitive, which is MY CHOICE.

I wait till gun now cause I have to. If I can't bow hunt the way I want, I won't do it at all. For those that want to use whatever is LEGAL, who cares? It is their choice.

Hope everyone has a great season which is right around the corner!:banana:

JMHO

O

Otis

A patch that could be worn over your left eye or a blinder on the brim of your cap would have probably been a little cheaper? :huh::bounce:

I have two buds (they are cousins) who are in the same boat, 'cept for the crossbows. They just use a patch to force them to aim with their right eye at full draw. :flag:

tried that, tried shooting left and right handed. I say 7 out of 10 hit the mark, the other 3 seemed to have minds of thier own. I even bought a lefty bow and practiced...never got to the point I was comfortable. So I am going with a crossbow

shadow2

To each his own...I think that thier are more improtant things to worry about. Are crossbow a premitave weapon. YES are they easer to shoot than a compound bow YES. Is there a misconception as to the fact that you do not have to practice as much with a crossbow YES. Crossbows do not realy give you any more range than a new compound bow. People still need to shoot as much to ensuer that they can hit their target as well as practice range estimation or have a range finder. It is up to all hunters to know their equipement and to be the best we can be at using it. As sportsmen we all owe it the game that we pursue to be the best that we can be. Either with a gun, bow, crossbow, muzzleloader, pistol or any other legal means to harves game.

RWK

I am having a hard time with this crossbow thing. Did I miss something. Can someone explain why a healthy hunter is allowed to use a crossbow with a scope during bow season but people that use black powder can't. They can by expensive muzzleloaders that group well at 200 yards and that is a primative gun???? The only people that should use a crossbow are the ones that are not able physically to draw a sufficient weight recurve or compound bow back. We are letting our society's lazy mentality take over our great sport. If you are a bow hunter great then bowhunt. All you able men out there that jumped on the crossbow bandwagon did the place where you bought them give you a camo skirt to go with it????? Step up to the plate and get the deer inside 20 yards then have to wait to draw. Go ahead and bash back I am ready..... If your not able to draw a bow do to physical reasons then by all means by one and use pin sights not scopes. Maybe for the lazy hunters we could start a club that has hitching post where you could have one tied up and waiting for you.

Because i want too!:stir:

RWK

Highcountry, look at a little bit of history you'll find out that in the 1400's they found out that a long bow was better than crossbows, they were faster to shoot and shot farther-less clumbersome to handle. Will us hunters PLEASE stop fighting amongst ourselves. Rich

Stephennick

weighing in

I am putting my two sense in. I started to hunt with a crossbow several years ago for one major reason. I really enjoy to hunt from the ground. I do not use a blind. I killed my first deer with a crossbow two years ago and it was very exciting. The thrill of sitting open in the woods and allowing a deer to get within bow range is exciting. I also hunt from the ground during firearm also. I have a climber stand and use it sometimes. I know you hunt can from the ground with a compound bow, but it is extremely difficult. I am also left eye dominant as someone else stated and that makes hunting with a bow difficult. I am right handed and shoot my rifle left handed.