Brandon wants hunters to use copper ammo

BriarPatch99

Just to clarify.... I have shot just about every type bullet made except the Hammer ones ... Nosler, Federal, Remington, Winchester, Hornady, Barnes, Norma ... even some the over seas brands....

I have found not one that will not kill GA size deer....if you put it in the right spot and sooner or later you gonna lose one even though the deer is dead.... It is just part of hunting.

On the other hand... If you find yourself losing more than a small percentage of shots ....then it is time to look at the SHOOTER... something is wrong...

Now if You are interested in shooting copper bullets ...in my opinions.... There are several that I would avoid(speaking GA size Whitetail)... The Barnes TSX, Hornady GMX, Hornady CX...

Just remember to shoot copper bullets it is best to shoot light for caliber bullets and reloaders get the advantage of being able to pick and choose the proper bullet.... Speed is nesscary for copper to work correctly....

Barnes is partially at fault for not being more up front about the lighter weight and claiming too low expansion level limits .... And claiming that bullets expand while not offering what level of expansion ... there is multiple levels even in lead core ...copper is no exception...

The Ammo makers are also at fault for loading the same weight copper as lead core and calling it good... the shame is they don't load the proper weight/caliber for whitetail.... or if they do...the supply is so limited as to be not ready available for hunters....

Last .... I am NOT in favor of any Federal Mandate ...NOT in any fashion or form ... My use of copper is strictly "performance" aimed ....

As a very last note ...copper bullets allows lighter caliber cartridges to kill Whitetail like the the larger caliber/cartridge combos... being easier to shoot ....lot less recoil....and allows better shot placement because of the combos.....

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
You can have my portions.... just give me some primers ....
Lawd, primers are like gold. I did get 2K of the SRP recently on sale at Powder Valley. Need to find some large rifle primers, same price range or cheaper.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I need to apologize .... I was having a bad night ...running a fever of 102°.... I guess either a virus or after effects of the prostate surgery... local doctor says virus.... just feeling pretty bad ....

I should not even have been online ....and NO I don't drink....

My bad...
For what? Having an opinion isn't a bad thing. My expansion issues with those copper bullets probably stem from shooting heavy, standard weight for caliber bullets, as you said. 180 grains in a .300. I just have absolutely no interest in shooting light for caliber bullets, or I'd just go to a smaller caliber. I don't want to turn my .300 into a .270, when I can get the performance I want from bullets that cost half what the copper ones do. :) I will say that they are the most accurate bullets I've shot. :cheers:

furtaker

I need to apologize .... I was having a bad night ...running a fever of 102°.... I guess either a virus or after effects of the prostate surgery... local doctor says virus.... just feeling pretty bad ....

I should not even have been online ....and NO I don't drink....

My bad...
No hard feelings here. All of us, myself included, can have strong opinions about things we like. I do enjoy your posts and knowledge on here. :cheers:

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Them large rifle and large rifle magnum are really hard to come by right now. I need some 209 CCI’s.
I may break down and do like Dub and bank some small primer .308 brass in case things don’t change.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Speculation, but I believe the vast AR market will drive SRP to be the priority in production. It’s just business and makes sense.

BriarPatch99

For what? Having an opinion isn't a bad thing. My expansion issues with those copper bullets probably stem from shooting heavy, standard weight for caliber bullets, as you said. 180 grains in a .300. I just have absolutely no interest in shooting light for caliber bullets, or I'd just go to a smaller caliber. I don't want to turn my .300 into a .270, when I can get the performance I want from bullets that cost half what the copper ones do. :) I will say that they are the most accurate bullets I've shot. :cheers:
I just wish you would give me and the right TTSX bullets a real whole hearted chance...

I would just love being able to see a smile of satisfaction own your face... even you can't swallow the concept ....and please don't forget I have .300 WSM shooters killing deer with 110 TTSX grain and 130 grain TTSX ...the 110 grain at over 3800+ fps....

If I could only get you to step forward.....

01Foreman400

Staff member
I just wish you would give me and the right TTSX bullets a real whole hearted chance...

I would just love being able to see a smile of satisfaction own your face... even you can't swallow the concept ....and please don't forget I have .300 WSM shooters killing deer with 110 TTSX grain and 130 grain TTSX ...the 110 grain at over 3800+ fps....

That 130 gr. in my 300 WSM is wicked with an average fps of 3,578 in a 22” barrel.

furtaker

Now if You are interested in shooting copper bullets ...in my opinions.... There are several that I would avoid(speaking GA size Whitetail)... The Barnes TSX, Hornady GMX, Hornady CX...
What's wrong with the Hornady CX? I always heard that the GMX wasn't too favorable because it was too hard, even harder than Barnes. I think the CX replaced the GMX?

I've never shot any mono Hornady bullets.

BriarPatch99

What's wrong with the Hornady CX? I always heard that the GMX wasn't too favorable because it was too hard, even harder than Barnes. I think the CX replaced the GMX?

I've never shot any mono Hornady bullets.
The CX from all the reports I have heard is still too hard to get good expansion... not sure why Hornady didn't learn from the GMX... they choose a different alloy than Barnes did....

The GMX would not shoot accurate for nothing in any of my guns....

BriarPatch99

It is my hope that Hornady realizes that they need annealed those some more ... they are made from guilding metal(more less cartridge brass alloy)....and the steps to make work harden the metal ... there has to be a annealing step before seating the tip... they just need to make it softer...

The Hornady bullets normally are more available to purchase....

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

I killed a good many deer with them, no doubt. And hogs and coyotes. Never lost one, but had to track a couple way more than usual. My only issue was the lack of expansion in soft tissue, and the explosive damage on scapula hits. I am a lung shooter, not a shoulder shooter most of the time, because my trophy is the meat. Those Speer Hot-kors are what I'm shooting in it now, and they perform great.