Brandon wants hunters to use copper ammo

Jester896

Senior Clown
Just ::ke:, I don’t drink a lot but do enjoy a libation on occasion. But us Anglicans are allowed to recognize each other at the whiskey store, no pressure.:rofl:
you all see I slur my works regular here now...magine ifn I drank.

honestly the owner of the Mexican Restaurant I frequent drops a shot of Tequila on the table once in a while and I don't let it go to waste.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I carried a #3 in 45/70 for many years. Loaded hot it was comparable to a .458. It didn’t compare to the unpleasant recoil of a 3.5 inch 12 gauge.

Big7

The Oracle
Just another federal mandate I can ignore.
I guarantee anybody that lead kills waterfowl just as dead as non- tox at at least 1/2 the cost and wounds a LOT less than steel.

I'm not convinced non- tox is helping anything. To the contrary, lead works better on everything except the heaviest African game.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I guarantee anybody that lead kills waterfowl just as dead as non- tox at at least 1/2 the cost and wounds a LOT less than steel.

I'm not convinced non- tox is helping anything. To the contrary, lead works better on everything except the heaviest African game.
Good rhetoric but just not the complete story.

The premise is straight forward, when the density is increased, the shot size can be reduced without losing knockdown performance. Lead has a density of 11.34g/cc giving it more inertia and energy at impact than steel shot which comes in at 7.86g/cc. That is why lead was predominately offered in smaller shot while our common steel loads are in larger sizes; mass of the pellet making up for the lack of density. Alternative non-toxic alloys have been created with densities as high as 13-15 g/cc. None, however, have ever come close to our TSS, which has the ultimate density of 18.1 g/cc. This superior alloy allows the versatility to put more shot in unmatched payloads creating the most effective pattern.

There’s also copper rifle bullets that out perform lead. I do concur it comes at a generally higher cost.

Jester896

Senior Clown
I shoot 3.5" #6 Winchester and they don't compare to a .458 Lott

I'm not 100% sure but I don't even think you are supposed to shoot a rifle across a creek if the lead could fall in it

Lilly001

As I understand the hazards of lead ammo it is almost exclusively from wildlife ingesting the lead. Ducks that feed off of the bottom of a water feature can ingest it when they are sifting through the bottom vegetation. That is why non lead shot is mandated for water fowl hunting.
Other game being at risk is much more of a stretch. IMHO.
We know it’s just a veiled attempt to control and discourage the US citizens Constitutionally protected fire arm ownership by a dictatorial tyrant.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I shoot 3.5" #6 Winchester and they don't compare to a .458 Lott

I'm not 100% sure but I don't even think you are supposed to shoot a rifle across a creek if the lead could fall in it
Never shot one those, don’t think I want to. :bounce:

Rackmaster

Political Forum Town Crier
Y'all can have all them fancy dan bullets you want. Winchester Power Points have never failed me in any caliber.

::gone:
:cheers: :cheers: My choice in .270 & 30-06

Federal Nosler Partitions in .280 have never failed me either!

Ugahunter2013

3 1/2" turkey load out of my 12 Ga. will rattle my shoulder noticeably more than anything out of my 45/70

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
As I understand the hazards of lead ammo it is almost exclusively from wildlife ingesting the lead. Ducks that feed off of the bottom of a water feature can ingest it when they are sifting through the bottom vegetation. That is why non lead shot is mandated for water fowl hunting.
Other game being at risk is much more of a stretch. IMHO.
We know it’s just a veiled attempt to control and discourage the US citizens Constitutionally protected fire arm ownership by a dictatorial tyrant.
But you can hunt dove over a cut cornfield one day with lead, then hunt waterfowl over it the next day but have to use nontoxic shot...

Big7

The Oracle
But you can hunt dove over a cut cornfield one day with lead, then hunt waterfowl over it the next day but have to use nontoxic shot...
Yes.

It's ANOTHER useless circular firing squad.