Broadhead Question

sadler2

How many times do you use the same blades on the head? I shot a deer this weekend with the Ram Cat 100.Complete pass through. Inspected the head after cleaning the deer blades were in great shape and they were still pretty sharp.

Kris87

If they can be resharpened, then many times. On my Ramcats, I typically replace them but I have a stone that I can resharpen them on. I wouldn't want to pass one through a deer, and reuse it without touching it up. It may still work fine, but I would err on the side of caution.

chefrific

As long as the blades are not bent, resharpen them.
I use one of those cheap "Smith's" broadhead sharpeners and it works great.
I've shot 2 with the same head, hoping to make it 3!

Jason Stringer

I've shot 4 with a grim reaper whitetail special and just touched it up a little each time

catch22

this may seem like a dumb answer. but never. but I have a reason.

I dont exclusively bow hunt so if I shoot 2 deer a year with my bow, thats alot. I have never re-used a broadhead. To me its not worth the time, money or my expertise for only 1-2 animals a year.

also, when it passes through, maybe it hits a rock, a stump, a root......maybe its slightly bent.....too slight to tell with eyes......just too many ifs, for me to chance it on another animal.

Those who have the tools, time and knowledge and those who kill alot of animals each year may see the need in it.......I dont

Last edited:

Bob Wallace

I have always kept every cartridge from my rifle and pistol kills and since I got my first bow kill a couple weeks ago, I'll put the arrow and broad head up and not use it again. Each one has a story and that story is worth more than the $20-$30 that arrow, nick and braodhead cost.

JJhunts

I replace the blades on my ramcats every deer.3 or 4 dollars buys significant peace of mind.

Tmpr111

I used the Ramcat 100's and would replace them.

Now I use the NAP Spitfire Maxx and won't be going back.

sadler2

I have always kept every cartridge from my rifle and pistol kills and since I got my first bow kill a couple weeks ago, I'll put the arrow and broad head up and not use it again. Each one has a story and that story is worth more than the $20-$30 that arrow, nick and braodhead cost.

I always just write the date of a kill on the fletchings. Now if I ever kill a good buck for the wall I will retire that arrow and broadhead.

1990chevy

ive killed 4 this year with the same schwacker. just touched it up after each shot. a big 8 point and 3 does

Bwright

Ive killed 2 does and coyote this year with the same thunderhed and never touched it but to clean the arrow.

The Arrow Guru

"Pretty sharp" isn't sharp enough. I change the blades on my heads after each use. You need scary sharp blades.

Ihunt

With all we spend on hunting we owe it to the animals to replace the blades IF we do not sharpen the used ones. I understand some people may be on a tight budget, if so, buy heads that can be resharpened.

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
On my DRTs...as many as I want to shoot as long as they are not nicked up from rocks in the ground. Just run them through the sharpener and make sure they pass my visual inspection