Brunswick Stew and corn bread over the fire

bruceg

I put on a kinda sorta Open Hearth cooking demonstration for Factory Days at Sweetwater Creek State Park. Since we were out of open hearths, I really did a Dutch Oven cooking demonstration. I got a lot of help from the Primitive Skills group, and picked up a book printed by The Atlanta Historical Association called Tullies Receipts.

Brunswick Stew, Mary Stuart Smith, from the “Virgina
Cookery-Book” published in 1885

This stew is famed for its excellence throughout the State, and takes its name from the county where it
originated and is found in perfection. Squirrel forms its basis, and hence it is especially the huntsman's dish, and seen most often during the early fall, when the squirrels throng and fatten in the corn-fields, and vegetables are still plentiful.

For eight or ten persons allow four squirrels, skinned and well cleaned ; cut them up into six pieces each, and as early in the morning as possible put them on the fire in a covered stewpan, with a seasoning of salt and pepper, both red and black, and an onion chopped up fine.

After the meat has cooked for several hours withdraw it from the fire, and extract as many of the bones as it is practicable to do ; then return it to the fire, adding some of every vegetable that you can get, except rice as there must be none of that. Especially see that there is a pint of green corn, cut from the cob, a quart of tomatoes, half a pint of Lima beans, a pint of Irish potatoes, one cucumber, one cymling, one carrot, and half a pint of okra. Cut them all up into small pieces ; cover your stewpan up closely, and, adding a good table-spoonful of butter, let the stew cook gently, without burning, until dinner is to
be dished, when it should have cooked until the ingredients of which it is made cannot be distinguished
the one from the other. When done the gravy should be nearly absorbed. Serve in a regular plated stew-dish that is kept heated by an alcohol-lamp ; but if you have not this convenience, arrange the stew in the centre of a meat-dish, and garnish with rings of carrot and sprigs of any green herb you fancy.

A Brunswick stew may also be concocted in a similar fashion from a cold joint of mutton, beef, or veal, and is a very popular dish wherever introduced. It has been served at gentlemen's dinner-parties instead of soup.

Since small-game season is over, and I'm short on squirrels, I substituted chicken.

Attachments

• StewAndCornbread.jpg
    StewAndCornbread.jpg
    301.3 KB · Views: 1,112
  • BrunswickStew.jpg
    BrunswickStew.jpg
    277.3 KB · Views: 1,117
  • BrunswickStew2.jpg
    BrunswickStew2.jpg
    293.8 KB · Views: 1,118
  • Cornbread.jpg
    Cornbread.jpg
    222.3 KB · Views: 1,117

Doe Master

Banned
That's some real fine looking Brunswick stew right there not tomatoe stew like most Brunswick stews you see made on here. I bet that was some awsome stuff send a bowl on over LOL.

bruceg

It was really good, and nothing came out of a can. All fresh and prepped the night before. (well, I did use Worcester sauce - but that became popular in the 1840's, so I figured I'd use it)

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Looks Good!

specialk

awesome man! looks like ya'll had a good time and eat good too!!

gtparts

Did you include the cymling? I didn't see it in there. I also noticed you didn't follow the original instruction, "when it should have cooked until the ingredients of which it is made cannot be distinguished." I can still tell the difference between the limas, the potatoes, and the okra.

::ke: Why, it's practically raw.:D

blood on the ground

Cross threading is better than two lock washers.
Bruceg,
pay no attention to the negative post in here, that is a fine looking meal sir. good job and I hope next time I can make it out!

bruceg

A cymling is a squash. I think it's a summer squash, but could be wrong - and I sure did use a summer squash!. No vinegar - but Worcester Sauce has vinegar in it - so there was a little bit in there. And finally - I'm not sure where I stand on the "when it should have cooked until the ingredients of which it is made cannot be distinguished." deal. I like to know one vegetable from another. But there was a little left, and it was very good the next day and cooked down some more.

It might be time to hit the Brunswick Stew trail and compare recipes and techniques! Road trip! In need of pulled pork and stew!

droptine06

Official Supper Thread Starter
Bruceg,
pay no attention to the negative post in here, that is a fine looking meal sir. good job and I hope next time I can make it out!

X2, pass me a bowl of that! Looks great.

TNGIRL

Yumo!!!!!!!

specialk

you eat stew with a fork, soup with a spoon.....that you got there you can definalty eat with a fork! :cool:

Sterlo58

Looks mighty good to me. :cool:

There are as many recipes for Brunswick stew as there are legends of the first version. I don't mind trying any of them. :cheers:

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
Everything looks great! Don't I see a pot of boiled goobers,you should put them in the spotlight too. I may try your recipe out this fall,when the squirrels start eating my pecans.

bruceg

Yep - after looking at old recipes from The Virginia Housewife and The Virginia Cookery Book - I paid a little more attention to my .22. I'm definitely heading out in the fall for some small game to put in the pot. And those were boiled goobers. The President of the Friend's group brought them out, and a lot of folks went for them.

Hard to beat fresh cornbread from a dutch oven with fresh-churned butter, stew from over the fire and a cup full of peanuts.

Doe Master

Banned
A cymling is a squash. I think it's a summer squash, but could be wrong - and I sure did use a summer squash!. No vinegar - but Worcester Sauce has vinegar in it - so there was a little bit in there. And finally - I'm not sure where I stand on the "when it should have cooked until the ingredients of which it is made cannot be distinguished." deal. I like to know one vegetable from another. But there was a little left, and it was very good the next day and cooked down some more.

It might be time to hit the Brunswick Stew trail and compare recipes and techniques! Road trip! In need of pulled pork and stew!

Bruce next time save some beef and pork and chicken from when you cook on your grill or smoke it and use it in your stew you will like it I promise. That makes it have a great flavor to it. I use all three meats in mine when I make it.

Doe Master

Banned
Yep - after looking at old recipes from The Virginia Housewife and The Virginia Cookery Book - I paid a little more attention to my .22. I'm definitely heading out in the fall for some small game to put in the pot. And those were boiled goobers. The President of the Friend's group brought them out, and a lot of folks went for them.

Hard to beat fresh cornbread from a dutch oven with fresh-churned butter, stew from over the fire and a cup full of peanuts.

You are joking right? Who can eat just a cup full of boiled P nuts? LOL I love those things.:cheers:

Howard Roark

Retired Moderator
The stew looks great. The corn bread looks even better.