Buck Knife Model 110 Now vs Then

Big7

The Oracle
Moved to a new storage unit yesterday and "found" a bunch of stuff that really wasn't lost.

Found a USA made BUCK 110 I bought my Daddy sometime in the very early 80s. I don't remember what I paid for it but Bucks were super expensive at that time.

The "new" one I bought at Walmart a month or two ago for 20$ + Tax.

The shape is the same dimensionally but the new one sports a glass filled nylon handle.
(if that's even what you call it)
And... It's USA Made and all the workings are exactly the same as the old one.

I'm going to clean up the leather case and polish everything with Brasso and put some tru oil on the wood.
20231110_134406.jpg20231110_134431.jpg20231110_134454.jpg20231110_134521.jpg20231110_134525.jpg

Big7

The Oracle
I have several of the older models. That newer one is probably easier to pocket carry. What’s the weight difference?
It's noticeably lighter.

I'll get it on the scale.
If my math is right, it's less than half the weight @ .453%.

And.. After a better second look, the blade and whatever you call the "spine" that runs through the handle to lock it are thinner. Ima' have to get something to measure it with.
16997166453376652873600616170614.jpg1699716826000208612429326950447.jpg

Last edited:

Anvil Head

They may have changed the steel and the thermal cycling methodology. I have an early model and a newer one. Old one holds an edge much better, but harder to sharpen. Newer one is just the opposite.
No telling how many of the original 110's that I reshaped the point due to being broken off about 1/4". Never the less, I preferred the old ones. Just don't care for a knife that has to be sharpened after each deer or hog.

Big7

The Oracle
Happened to be close to Loganville today so I went to the Walmart to see if I could buy one of the "new" plastic handle 110s.

They didn't have one on display but they did have the "original" for 65 $.

I asked for some help but evidently the people "authorized" to work the gun/knife counter had gone for the day.

I wanted to put it side by side to the one on my belt and see if the "original" maintained the thicker blade and locking leaf or mechanism or whatever you call it. It was hard to tell with it being inside the case. Maybe next trip as I did see a Camillus knife and bone/limb saw I wanted.
20231115_205309_HDR.jpg

F.A.R.R.

The 110 is an iconic deer knife for sure. I have one from 1974 and another from I believe late 80’s. The one from the eighties is rounded off more in the handle and bolsters- both are fine deer knives.

Also have serveral other Buck models made in the eighties. Sometime later I picked up a Special and looking at it side by side next to an older Pathfinder you can tell they moved to CNC machining.

It’s fun to see some of the Buck Knife collections on display at the Blade show

Big7

The Oracle
They may have changed the steel and the thermal cycling methodology. I have an early model and a newer one. Old one holds an edge much better, but harder to sharpen. Newer one is just the opposite.
No telling how many of the original 110's that I reshaped the point due to being broken off about 1/4". Never the less, I preferred the old ones. Just don't care for a knife that has to be sharpened after each deer or hog.
That old one I remember being extraordinarily hard to sharpen and holding the edge better like you said.

You actually need to know HOW to sharpen something before you jump on that one.

Hillbilly stalker

Different metal in the old ones, I have both. I much prefer the old one. Best knife ever made in my opinion. A little heavy, but you can tell you got ahold of a knife.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
I have a Buck 110 that’s never been out of the box. Have a couple of Hank’s knives that do most of my skinning chores.

Anvil Head

That old one I remember being extraordinarily hard to sharpen and holding the edge better like you said.

You actually need to know HOW to sharpen something before you jump on that one.
Being a knifemaker, I have the tools. Just seemed like for several years, word got out I could fix/regrind the tips they started showing up at the door. Fixed a lot of them back in the 70's and 80's. Finally just started turning them away, too much other work to do and belts aren't cheap.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
I also have the 105 fixed blade I used on most of my skinning chores. The blade on that one is getting thin.
Backstory on my use of knives for skinning animals. I’ve cleaned more deer than most people have as I worked for a processor on the side for around fifteen years. I averaged around three hundred deer a year processing. I had an Old Timmer Sharpfinger I used for several years prior to working for the processor. That little knife worked great for my personal knife chores but wore my wrist out once I started skinning several back to back. That’s when I went to the Buck 105.

F.A.R.R.

I also have the 105 fixed blade I used on most of my skinning chores. The blade on that one is getting thin.
Backstory on my use of knives for skinning animals. I’ve cleaned more deer than most people have as I worked for a processor on the side for around fifteen years. I averaged around three hundred deer a year processing. I had an Old Timmer Sharpfinger I used for several years prior to working for the processor. That little knife worked great for my personal knife chores but wore my wrist out once I started skinning several back to back. That’s when I went to the Buck 105.
I like the 105 for field dressing and skinning better than a 110. I also like a Sharp Finger but have never used it on more than one deer at a time.

You’ve skint a lot of critters !

Geffellz18

I had two very similar to both of those years ago.
The brass/wood one my dad still uses to this day. Ours has interchangeable blades.
Two different knife blades & a saw.