Bug ID

pdsniper

I was at the boat ramp last week waiting on a friend and saw these little bugs crawling on a fence post and I had never seen these befor can one of you bug experts tell me what it is ?

Attachments

• Bug 1.JPG
    Bug 1.JPG
    450 KB · Views: 234

rip18

It's a lady bug! (aka ladybird beetle)

This is the larva that will metamorphose into a traditional ladybug - the adult & the larva look nothing alike, though both are predators of aphids and other small, soft-bodied bugs.

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova
I have never seen a bug such as this before. Rip18, thanks for educating me on this.

Now on a lighter side......it kind of reminds me of a '69 Camara, dark bluish colored with glowing flames painted on the side of it to make it really look sporty and bad !!!! I seem to remember one that a friend owned back in '69 painted that way. I remember being involved in a "Dukes of Hazard" airborne stunt in it one night and that was before the Dukes of Hazard made it famous!!! :D:D:D

pdsniper

Wow I never would have guessed that, I have seen lots of bugs in my day but this was a first thank you for the quick response

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR

This is the larva that will metamorphose into a traditional ladybug - the adult & the larva look nothing alike, though both are predators of aphids and other small, soft-bodied bugs.

Yep, lady bug larvae.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Those things are death on aphids. We used to order them by the quart and release them in the greenhouse to control aphids.

wvdawg

Staff member

Smokey

For real? That ugly things going to be a lady bug? Wow never would have guessed it. Thanks for the I.D. and thanks for posting the picture pdsniper.

By the way, how big was this critter?

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova
facepalm: I hope your young'ns aren't reading this Mike! :biggrin3:

Dennis, my Daughter is a member here and actually reads a lot of information on here too. I do my best to convince her that I am still 21 years old and bullet proof. :D Thankfully, she is a lot smarter than I am and she does a really good job in not trying to do some of the crazy things that I did back when I was growing up.

Who knew that a very large terrace was in that field that night. It surely made a nice launching pad but after ramming my head initially, then upon landing, it felt like my rear-end compacted down to my ankles!!! :hair: