Build A Gambrel

BuckFever1613

I was curious to if anyone had plans on building a gambrel to hoist deer and if these actually helped the process of field dressing a deer. thanks for any help

Quercus Alba

I think gutting them on the ground is probably just as easy. It does make skinning much easier.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Here ya' go. You can get an idea from the picture.

1 4x4x12 PT
1 4x4x16 PT
1 2x4x8 PT
Assorted hardware and winch.

Cut the 16 footer to 12', use the 4 ft section as your crossbar, brace with the 2x4 cut in 2' lengths. Add two screw eyes, two threaded links, two pulleys, the winch and two bags of concrete, and you're in business.

IMG_0511.jpg

DSGB

They make skinning easier, but as for field dressing, it's easier to hang them by the neck.

Handgunner

Here is my skinning rack. I got about $70 into it and as of right now, in two years, it's held 43 deer.

Nothing fancy and needs a roof, but it's work very well so far...

Here is a link to a whole lot fancier and nicer ones, though.

http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=47988&highlight=skinning+rack

As for gutting a deer. We simply don't do it. We hang them like Elfiii has his, take the shoulders, backstraps and tenderloins out, hacksaw the carcass into a #5 wash tub, and then knuckle out the hams.

Attachments

• skinningrack.jpg
    skinningrack.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 9,928

Chickenjohn42

As for gutting a deer. We simply don't do it. We hang them like Elfiii has his, take the shoulders, backstraps and tenderloins out, hacksaw the carcass into a #5 wash tub, and then knuckle out the hams. That's what I am talking bout ,the only way to go .:flag: :flag: :flag:

DLS

here is what we use works just fine just a 4x4 between two trees & the winch
DSC02290.jpg

DSC02569.jpg

BRYAN T

WE DON'T SEE ANY BENIFIT FROM GUTTING DEER.

KILL IT, TAKE IT BACK TO CAMP, HANG IT BY ITS REAR LEGS, SKIN IT, LOB THE BOTTOM OF THE FRONT LEGS OFF, CUT THE SHOULDERS OFF, CUT OUT THE BACKSTRAPS, CUT JUST ENOUGH TO GET THE TENDERLOINS OUT(LEAVING THE GUTS AND INNARDS INTACT), LOB OFF THE SPINE JUST BELOW THE HAMS, CUT THE HAMS IN TWO WITH A MEAT SAW, LOB OFF LOWER PART OF THE REAR LEGS, PUT IT ALL IN A COOLER AND THATS IT.

THE CLEANING SHED TOOK 3 YEARS TO EVOLVE TO WHAT YOU SEE IN THE PICTRES. IT STARTED WITH (2) 4"X6" POSTS AND A 4"X4" POST ACROSS THE TOP. THE SPAN IS 8 FEET ACROSS, WHICH IS PLENTY OF ROOM FOR TWO PEOPLE TO WORK AT THE SAME TIME.

IT HAS A DOUBLE SINK, A 12'X12' ROOF, AND WE ADDED A 100 WATT HALLOGEN FLOOD LIGHT AT EACH ROOF CORNER - ANGLED DOWN TOWARD THE CENTER WHERE THE DEER HANGS. THERE IS NOT A PROBLEM WITH SHADOWS AT NIGHT WITH 4 100 WATT FLOOD LIGHTS.
IF YOU NOTICE IN THE PICTURES, WE HAVE 2 CAM BUCKLE STRAPS THAT ATTACH TO EACH SIDE OF THE GABRIEL - THIS KEEPS THE DEER FROM SPINNING.

Attachments

• SKINNER.jpg
    SKINNER.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 20,025
  • SKINNER1.jpg
    SKINNER1.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 9,767
  • SKINNER2.jpg
    SKINNER2.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 10,321
  • SKINNER3.jpg
    SKINNER3.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 14,553
  • SKINNER4.jpg
    SKINNER4.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 9,692

whitworth

Some of us use Shank's Ponies

"WE DON'T SEE ANY BENIFIT FROM GUTTING DEER."

Well, unlike you, many a hunter doesn't have those $8000 All Terrain Vehicles, to haul out the deer!

When you're using shank's ponies ( the feet), it helps a little to reduce the weight of the deer, by gutting it on the spot of the harvest.

doenightmare

Gone But Not Forgotten
I haven't gutted a deer in 20 years - just do whats already been mentioned.

"WE DON'T SEE ANY BENIFIT FROM GUTTING DEER."

Well, unlike you, many a hunter doesn't have those $8000 All Terrain Vehicles, to haul out the deer!

Amen brother. Drag one a quarter mile up a 30 degree slope, and you will see a lot of benefit to gutting one.

DaGris

Banned
my father in law uses his engine puller, it works great. I have 2-2x12's nailed to each side of a tree with a smaller piece of 2x12 across the top with a small winch on the side. works great.

BRYAN T

(Well, unlike you, many a hunter doesn't have those $8000 All Terrain Vehicles, to haul out the deer!

When you're using shank's ponies ( the feet), it helps a little to reduce the weight of the deer, by gutting it on the spot of the harvest.)[/QUOTE]

WHEN THE 4 WHEELERS WERE NEW, THEY WERE ABOUT $5000.00 EACH.

I ALSO HUNT IN FLORIDA ON WMA'S AND YOU CANT USE 4WHEELERS. AFTER DRAGGING A COUPLE OUT, IT DID NOT TAKE LONG TO FIGURE OUT THAT WE NEEDED TO DO SOMETHING DIFFERENT. WE DID NOT WANT TO BUY A CART, SO WE BUILT ONE FOR ABOUT 30 DOLLARS.

Attachments

• 100_0340.jpg
    100_0340.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 11,727

BRYAN T

Amen brother. Drag one a quarter mile up a 30 degree slope, and you will see a lot of benefit to gutting one.

WHERE WE HUNT IN SOUTH LAURENS COUNTY IT IS PRETTY MUCH FLAT. THERE IS A LITTLE BIT OF ROLLING TO THE TERRAIN. THE ONLY 30° SLOPES WE HAVE WOULD BE ABOUT A 5 TO 10 FEET DROP OFF FROM THE PINES TO THE CREEK BOTTOMS.