BULLPIN! What bullpin!

Status
Not open for further replies.

biggdogg

As much as it kills me to say it, if the pen disaster isn't addressed soon, we're going to be unloading some players come July as opposed to acquiring some.

BornToHuntAndFish

Unfortunately, pitching has made the Braves the only MLB team without a win & the bottom of the division. Gonna be tough catching up to the Phillies with a 3-game lead.

Braves opponent this evening, the Cubs, won their 1st game but lost the last 2 games so hope our pitching takes advantage of Chicago's losing momentum with their 2nd series on the road.

biggdogg

They have 159 games to make up 3 games. There is a lot that can happen between now and September. And I ain't ready to give the crown to the Phillies. They have zero pitching depth. One or two injuries or long slumps in the rotation can derail their season. Granted the Brave will still need to fix their bullpen. Winning 85-90 games with 60-70% being high scoring shootouts will be a tough go.

I gots no intention of writing them off after 3 games. Wilson started game 2 and was making his 2nd career start while Wright was making his 1st career start a day later.

dirtnap

They have 159 games to make up 3 games. There is a lot that can happen between now and September. And I ain't ready to give the crown to the Phillies. They have zero pitching depth. One or two injuries or long slumps in the rotation can derail their season. Granted the Brave will still need to fix their bullpen. Winning 85-90 games with 60-70% being high scoring shootouts will be a tough go.

I gots no intention of writing them off after 3 games. Wilson started game 2 and was making his 2nd career start while Wright was making his 1st career start a day later.
I agree but if they weren’t willing to fix the bullpen in the offseason they aren’t now. The beds been made, im afraid it’s gonna be a long sleep in it

BornToHuntAndFish

Hope the Braves upgrades, especially the pitching upgrades, work out as well as the Phillies upgrades are working out.

Philadelphia Phillies committed nearly $500 Million to upgrading their roster this offseason and it paid immediate dividends with a season-opening series sweep against the Atlanta Braves.

Atlanta Braves are the only winless team in baseball after a convincing three-game series sweep by the Philadelphia Phillies to open the 2019 season

Braves were outscored 23-11

last time a non-rebuilding Braves team suffered a season-opening sweep the team went on to win 94 games and capture the 2012 NL East crown

absence of pitchers Mike Foltynewicz, Kevin Gausman, A.J. Minter and Darren O’Day was also notable considering the circumstances

Dating back to Game 1 of the NLDS against the Los Angeles Dodgers, the Braves have walked 47 batters in their past seven non-exhibition games ... and they did not even have to pitch in the ninth inning for five of those games.

Braves hitters drew 16 walks in the series after ranking 21st in walk rate last season

Overreacting to three road games without three of the franchise's best arms makes little sense, but there's no denying that the 2018 pitching demons have yet to be exorcised.

Duff

Its a long season, I certainly hope things improve. Its gonna be a looooong season if they don't. Maybe some home cooking will get them kick started.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Braves pitching may lead the MLB for giving up the most BB walks & HR's for at least the 1st month of the season.

This. ^ It was the glaring weak spot last year and it doesn't look like they did much to fix it fo this year.

biggdogg

Pen looked much better against the Cubbies last night. They still need some better arms down there, but it was a nice rebound after the Philadelphia debacle. Looks like Folty will make two starts in AAA starting tonight and should be activated around the 14th. And Minter should be back Thursday.

biggdogg

Meanwhile.... Kimbrel is sitting on his couch not working

And because of his contract demands (5-6 years at $15-18 mil per...) and the draft pick the signing team would give up, he'll still be there until after the draft...

DannyW

Yeah, not signing Carter Stewart last year may very well be the reason that Kimbrel in not in a Braves uniform right now. The compensation pick in this year's draft for not signing Stewart means the 3rd pick for the Braves, the pick they would have to give up if they signed Kimbrel, is number 60 overall....a very high and valuable draft pick.

Personal opinion...Kimbrel is a good old boy from Alabama, grew up watching the Braves and began his career here. Most of his family is probably still in the area. I think he really wants to play for the Braves, and maybe even finish his career with them. He has probably received some interest elsewhere that, had he wanted to pursue it, could have lead to him already being signed by another team. Instead he has decided to wait it out until after the draft and sign with the Braves then...the Braves lose no draft picks in that scenario.

That way Kimbrel gets what he wants, to play for the Braves, and the Braves likely get some kind of home town discount for a solid closer who still has some left in the tank.

Kimbrel would still be a Brave save we had to find a way to get rid of Melvin Upton....

just watching that fool in a Braves uniform made me sick...Frank Wren was an idiot

biggdogg

Yeah, not signing Carter Stewart last year may very well be the reason that Kimbrel in not in a Braves uniform right now. The compensation pick in this year's draft for not signing Stewart means the 3rd pick for the Braves, the pick they would have to give up if they signed Kimbrel, is number 60 overall....a very high and valuable draft pick.

Personal opinion...Kimbrel is a good old boy from Alabama, grew up watching the Braves and began his career here. Most of his family is probably still in the area. I think he really wants to play for the Braves, and maybe even finish his career with them. He has probably received some interest elsewhere that, had he wanted to pursue it, could have lead to him already being signed by another team. Instead he has decided to wait it out until after the draft and sign with the Braves then...the Braves lose no draft picks in that scenario.

That way Kimbrel gets what he wants, to play for the Braves, and the Braves likely get some kind of home town discount for a solid closer who still has some left in the tank.

I believe the Braves would be more inclined to give up that pick if Kimbrel would take a 3 year deal. The annual salary has never been an issue with the front office, but 5-6 years is a long deal for a closer, or any reliever for that matter. And the luxury tax is why the Nats, Brewers and Dodgers have kicked the tires but made no offer and the sole reason the Sox let him walk. The Braves are really the only team with the need, interest AND financial flexibility to sign him. And from what I've read, if he waits till after the draft he will sign a pro-rated 1 year deal so he can give free agency another shot without being saddled with the draft pick compensation. Honestly, I think his agent is giving him some bad advise...

killerv

he's the youngest to 300 saves if I'm not mistaken and should have it in him for 300 more...he could be adding to that now. Meanwhile, we'll continue to allow lots of runs late in games. I can understand them waiting due to the draft pic. Do you really want him on the phillies, nats, or mets playing against us?

biggdogg

he's the youngest to 300 saves if I'm not mistaken and should have it in him for 300 more...he could be adding to that now. Meanwhile, we'll continue to allow lots of runs late in games. I can understand them waiting due to the draft pic. Do you really want him on the phillies, nats, or mets playing against us?

Phillies and Nats already passed because of the luxury tax threshold. The $15-17 mill a season he wants would end up costing them upwards of $23 mil a year after penalties. Mets traded the farm for their closer. And they already ponied up for deGrom and they still have Matz and Syndergaard to lock up. Like I said, no one is giving a reliever 5-6 years anymore.

BornToHuntAndFish

Reckon the Braves bullpen & starting pitchers will always be under development & an ongoing rebuilding work in progress.

48-seconds

MLB_2019_Atlanta.png

Status
Not open for further replies.