BULLPIN! What bullpin!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dirtnap

The Braves not spending some serious cash on the bullpen from last year makes no sense. It’s almost like they don’t want to take the next step right now. The offense should be good this year but nobody in their front office believes that bullpen is good enough, at least I hope they don’t

DannyW

That was painful to watch. Tehran pitched much better than his number line shows, and he deserved better support. If Swanson and Freeman had been able to connect on that Segura ground ball in the 4th, a difficult play on both ends, his fate may have been different. Then the bullpen meltdown drove a nail in the lid.

It's only 1 game out of 162 but it's hard to forget their performance last year, so it makes me uneasy. Gotta find some answers in the bullpen...

ugajay

The Phillies lineup had to be a scary one to face, especially the second time through the order. I agree with all above. Can't send a good message to the young stars that the office doesn't seem to want to help

BornToHuntAndFish

Braves bullpen unravels in opening loss to Phillies

Braves lost their season opener 10-4 on Thursday in Philadelphia. The Phillies posted seven of those runs against the Braves’ much-maligned bullpen. It was a game within reach until disastrous sixth and seventh frames.

bullpen did little to mitigate concerns. Shane Carle relieved Teheran in the sixth, when he walked two and Maikel Franco launched a three-run homer

Luke Jackson was called upon in the seventh. He walked McCutchen and made a throwing error on Segura’s single that put both men in scoring position. Harper was intentionally walked.

Hoskins wouldn’t let the Braves escape. He belted a grand slam

Yep, the last few months I've heard unenlightened sports reporters bragging about the Braves bullpen & making surprising compliments & claims, but we continue seeing weakness, mistakes, & failures while not giving up much signs of hope.

Shane Carle giving up 3-run HR in the 6th-inning was disappointing.

Luke Jackson giving up 4-run HR in the 7th-inning was disappointing.

https://www.mlb.com/braves/news/julio-teheran-notches-seven-strikeouts-in-loss

concerns about the Braves’ bullpen grew as Shane Carle and Luke Jackson shattered hope for a comeback by surrendering crushing late-inning home runs

"We just couldn't stop the bleeding there," Braves manager Brian Snitker said. "It's situations where that part of the bullpen is going to have to come in and give us a crack at it. We couldn't do it today."

Making his sixth consecutive Opening Day start, Julio Teheran handed a 3-1 sixth-inning deficit to Carle, who issued a pair of walks before delivering an elevated 3-2 fastball that Maikel Franco tomahawked into the left-field seats for a two-out, three-run homer.

Jackson issued a leadoff walk and committed a throwing error that led Snitker to intentionally walk Bryce Harper ahead of Rhys Hoskins, who drilled a 1-0 fastball into the left-field seats for his first career grand slam

ackson probably shouldn't have been placed on the roster, let alone provided a chance to pitch in what was still a winnable game

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
Be nice to be able to look out to the Bullpen, and seeing John Smoltz warming up.

treemanjohn

Banned
The Phillies are going to be TOUGH to beat. McCutchen was a great get for them. He's going to turn it on in a big was. The Braves should've recognized it

BornToHuntAndFish

biggdogg

Once Folty and Gausman are back, put Fried and Wilson in the pen, Carle back in AA and Luke Jackson back at Subway or McDonald's. Pen will get a boost when O'Day gets back too. Bullpen is a dumpster fire right now though...

DannyW

Bullpen ERA is 10.23 through the first two games....:eek:

Sorry...figured that all wrong. Forgot that the Phillies did not bat in the bottom of the 9th in either game. The correct Bullpen ERA for the first two games is 12.90.

They have given up 11 earned runs in 7.2 innings of work....I would like to say it can only get better from here but I'm old enough to know how statements like that can blow-back on you.

livetohunt

The Braves don't have the cash to put a real contender on the field. Fans have to accept an average team with an above average team every 10 years or so if lucky. I think if we make the playoffs that should be considered a VERY good year.

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
The Braves don't have the cash to put a real contender on the field. Fans have to accept an average team with an above average team every 10 years or so if lucky. I think if we make the playoffs that should be considered a VERY good year.

I agree, but they should sell the team.

BornToHuntAndFish

Wonder what it would take for AA to take some serious corrective actions about improving the bullpen???

:huh:

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

BornToHuntAndFish

Actual pitching talent is a good place to start. :bounce:

You're right as usual, but I was not man enough yet to address the organization wide pitching talent weaknesses, even though there seems to be signs of potential among the youth. Gonna just hope for improvements as talent is being developed & gains needed experience.

Even though the new pitching coach from the last place Marlins sounds like a nice guy & I know he's just spent the last approx. 6-weeks getting to know Braves pitchers, I'm still not a believer in him, while when he speaks it sounds more like he's blowing smoke at us & does not sound very authentic to me.

DannyW

I agree, but they should sell the team.

You have to remember Liberty Media owns the Braves for one reason and one reason only - to make money. Last year the Braves earned Liberty Media $442 million in revenue with an operation profit of $94 million. They are a corporation who reports to stockholders, and they will only spend more money on payroll if they are sure they get at least 100% of that additional expenditure back in revenue.

They treat it like a business where John Henry of the Red Sox and Hal Steinbrenner of the Yankees and Larry Dolan of the Indians do it for a sense of accomplishment not measured in revenues and profits.

Liberty Media won't sell the Braves until either they lose money or the team doesn't fit their business model.

westcobbdog

You have to remember Liberty Media owns the Braves for one reason and one reason only - to make money. Last year the Braves earned Liberty Media $442 million in revenue with an operation profit of $94 million. They are a corporation who reports to stockholders, and they will only spend more money on payroll if they are sure they get at least 100% of that additional expenditure back in revenue.

They treat it like a business where John Henry of the Red Sox and Hal Steinbrenner of the Yankees and Larry Dolan of the Indians do it for a sense of accomplishment not measured in revenues and profits.

Liberty Media won't sell the Braves until either they lose money or the team doesn't fit their business model.

Arthur would be a great owner.

BornToHuntAndFish

Braves pitching may lead the MLB for giving up the most BB walks & HR's for at least the 1st month of the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.