Caping a Deer Head

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Ok Woody has just finished this and we moved it out. WOW! remind me to not kill a deer in a cwd state. I think I would prefer to leave the head intact and stop after the first photo:D

huntnnut

GONetwork Member
Same here Jim, I assure you it's easier said than done. I've seen it done and I wouldn't attempt it on a deer I wanted mounted.

I guess if I had a chance to practice on a few that I didn't have to worry so much on how they turned out it might be alright and I might could get to the point that I'd feel comfortable doing it on a trophy.

Till then, I'll leave it to the pro's.

Woody

Founder - Gone but not forgotten.
huntnnut said:
I'll leave it to the pro's.

Believe me -- it only looks hard.

15 minutes and you're ready to kill another one.

Anyone going to a CWD state this season should print these directions. -- You may need them or risk losing your entire deer when you return?

Super Dave

I was wondering how you caped a deer head. Thank goodness I have a father in law that use to do taxidermy work. But then it will be off Woody's for the mount.

huntnnut

GONetwork Member
Woody,

A good thing about the way you showed folks that will also make it easier on them is the fact that they would not be skinning out the ears. The ears are probably the toughest part to skin out, though it appears that's being left for the taxidermist in the way you have shown. Is this not correct or did I miss something?

Woody

huntnnut said:
is the fact that they would not be skinning out the ears. The ears are probably the toughest part to skin out, though it appears that's being left for the taxidermist in the way you have shown. Is this not correct or did I miss something?

You are correct Milton. -- This way of doing it leaves reversing the ears --- turning the lips -- and all the tedious work for the Taxidermist.

If you've skinned a deer -- you should not have any problem following this.

As I said -- 15 minutes tops.;)

Flintlock1776

I am glad there are folks like you and Taxis that can do that well. I'd be afraid of messing the job up. Nice to see the effort involved. If I get one worth mounting I'll just do the first cut of the cape and ruch that bad boy to a pro to finish the job. Great post!

huntnnut

GONetwork Member
Woody,

After looking over your directions more carefully I do believe I could do it w/o much fear of ruining the cape. However, it would probably be more like an hour and 15 minutes verses 15 minutes...:D

Btw, you may want to include your guidelines for cape storage in this thread.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
caping a buck deer

Woody, hope you don't mind me adding: I like to take a measurment from top of the black on the nose to the end of each main beam to assure a correct tilt of the antlers when mounted. Old school maybe, but I also like to leave more skullcap attached behind the antlers. Do your taxidermist a favor, rinse the hide well before bagging and freezing. Keep 'em accurate as possible with measurements and digital reference photos. Measure from tip of nose to tear duct, tip of nose to back of head, smallest cir around the throat. Good instructions Woody.
Folks you can practice on those you aren't going to mount, then when the big one comes along you'll have experience. You might even perfect the short incision method, for less sewing and a slicker neck.

crowe1187

Woody, i work at mcmicken in cartersville, are you puting this on here for the people bringing deer from cwd states or from ga too. i know how much of a pain it can be to make the skin fit how it should around the burs when someone has hacked it up. these are great instructions

Woody

Woody, i work at mcmicken in cartersville, are you puting this on here for the people bringing deer from cwd states or from ga too. i know how much of a pain it can be to make the skin fit how it should around the burs when someone has hacked it up. these are great instructions

crowe -- thanks, and yes this is an effort to help those who hunt CWD states.

If they print this out and have it with them on the hunt -- it could keep them from possibly losing their entire deer.

I know what you mean "around the burrs" -- looks like a twelve year old skinned it with a chain saw??;)

Dub

Thanks for the detailed information, Woody.

You really opened my eyes as to what is needed. I now have even more appreciation for the work that a quality taxidermist does.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
I could do it, but if I get one worth hanging on the wall, I'm just gonna' bring him to you Woody.

OkieHunter

Great Post woody, It's amazing how many guy's ruin a cape by not properly caping it, this is usually done by getting in to big of a hurry and not paying attention to what they are doing

Jorge

Thanks for the great post Woody! DocGlenn and I just got back from a successful mule deer hunt in Colorado. The only taxidermist that was willing to cape our deer wanted $150 per deer ($300 total) to cape them. :hair: Luckily Glenn had printed your instructions and we were able to cape both deer fairly easily ourselves. I would guess it took us about 2 hours to do, but we were going pretty slowly. I feel certain I could accomplish it in about an hour next time.

Thank again.:cool:

Woody

Thanks Jorge ---- that makes the time and effort worthwhile.;)

Jorge

I will add that one tool that I found particularly helpful is one of those utility knives that has the push-up blade that you can snap off a section when they get dull and push up a sharp blade. Absolutely the best skinning tool I ever purchased and the best $1.89 I ever spent. :bounce:

brofoster

Bout like a European mount with the skin attached. I could have done that myself instead of wasting $14.00.

99Roadking

With the season close, I wanted to be sure I got a refresher on caping a deer.
Maybe I'm not the only person...TTT