Caping a Deer Head

brkbowma

Mod's, this thread would make a very good sticky for all of us. Thanks Woody

fountain

this should be a sticky at the top

great info and can save a lot of $$$.

thanks woody for the instructional

BornToHuntAndFish

Appreciate the good instructions, photos, and time & effort to post this. Thank God for Woody.

TR Call Maker

Great explanation, I have done this and he is right about it not being that hard but I didn't finish in 15 minutes it was more like 45. I think the more you do the better you get.

Hammack

Woody, Thanks for the details that is pretty much the way I was taught to do it as well with one exception. I was taught to cut just far enough down the back of the neck to get the skull out (a few inches. I'm not criticizing your method, just curious for my own knowledge why it's beneficial to cut all the way down the back of the neck? I've seen it done by alot of others as well, but never understood what they liked about doing it that way. Again, thanks for the post....

dj5play

Thanks a lot Woody, your time is very much appreciated and your expertise is invaluable.

RipperIII

Thanks Woody,
I'm a rookie and this is well above my skill set. But I love the info.
If I happen to get a wall hanger, I'll find your place...I'll skip a few dinners so that I can have you do it right!
Thanks again for your efforts.

Woody

Founder - Gone but not forgotten.
Woody, Thanks for the details that is pretty much the way I was taught to do it as well with one exception. I was taught to cut just far enough down the back of the neck to get the skull out (a few inches. I'm not criticizing your method, just curious for my own knowledge why it's beneficial to cut all the way down the back of the neck? I've seen it done by alot of others as well, but never understood what they liked about doing it that way. Again, thanks for the post....

The method you mentioned is called the "Short Incision"

I tried that method for a couple of years but found I had trouble getting the neck size back to where I wanted it.

While the long incision method requires more work for the Taxidermist --- it gave me more freedom in restoring the neck to it's original size. -- More stretch.

Since the neck appearance can make or break how a buck looks I normally want to make the neck one inch bigger and the long incision gives me that or more.

Glad to see people still using this info.