Cart Charger

T.P.

Banned
A few months ago I had new batteries put in my cart. I ran it for a good while before the batteries ran down and I tried to charge them and the charger isn't acting right. The needle goes up, then goes right back down, and doesn't charge.

Can I check the charger somehow?

T-N-T

I had a huge dirt dobber nest in my charger that stopped from charging.
I opened it up and cleared the dirt off the capacitors and whatnot.
Open and look for obvious nastiness.
I hope this helps.

chadf

Yes

Voltmeter !

You have made sure battery's didn't dry up ? Hope! First time this has done this or haven't charged new battery's yet ?

T.P.

Banned
Yes

Voltmeter !

You have made sure battery's didn't dry up ? Hope! First time this has done this or haven't charged new battery's yet ?

They are new batteries. I had taken the cart to a shop to get worked on and he installed new batteries. After I brought it home it ran like a top until I needed to charge it.

K80Shooter

Not sure what type charger you have but it is not uncommon for a charger to read high for just a little bit then come back down to just a trickle of a charge. This keeps from getting the batteries from getting too hot and boiling out the acid/liquid inside then.

Now all the above is assuming you have a 12 volt system and a 12 volt charger. Different voltage work similar.

To check with a volt meter; check voltage before you turn on the charger (for instance lets say it is at 10 volts), now hook up and turn on the charger and check voltage again. (it could read high say maybe 13 to 14 volts). When the needle comes back down recheck the voltage a third time, anything over 12 volts even 12.2 or so means they are charging. It might take a while but it will charge. If you had a hydrometer you can check the specific gravity of each cell to tell you when it's charged or if it's a automatic charger it should cut off on it's own. This could take days not hours if your charger is just a trickle charger.

It's best to never try to "fast" charge your batteries, this only shortens the life of them. Try keeping your batteries charged as you use your cart rather than running them down all the way.

I hope this is not too much info.

southernman13

If it's really dead that how the charger will act. If it's charging it will start down low on the meter and work its way up until it peaks and go back down to zero upon full charge. As stated above you can verify that it's charging with a multi meter. If we're in a charged state already then the meter/gauge would go up and come back down fairly quickly but then shut off. Yours as you know is in need of a charge so that's not the case here. Good luck

K80Shooter

Check the voltage at the charger plug?

At the batteries. Also note that a bad battery will not charge and will keep the others from charging, does not matter that they are new. I have saw lot's of new batteries that were bad.

chadf

These boys nailed it. I check the charger from the cart side (female) of the charger plug.
On a bad boy, it's 8 or 9v battery's, can't remember. I don't know what charger or battery's your setup has.

Keep them battery's charged !

Might have to check each one to find your bad battery, if you have one. Might have to help "jump start" the charger as stated above.

Cmp1

BANNED
Are they deep cycle batteries, they should be, if so you should run them down and then recharge, check voltage at charger output, should really check amps also,,,,

T.P.

Banned
This cart sat for several years because it quit charging for whatever reason. This past summer I took it to a shop and he said it just needed batteries so he replaced them. I ran it a good bit and attempted to charge them before they ran down but the charger wasn't acting right and the batteries were eventually drained down.

It appears to be a 48 volt charger by Lester.

K80Shooter

To check the charger only, unplug it from the batteries, check the connections at the plug for voltage then tell us what it say's. If nothing then the charger is bad.

You might also try cleaning the connection at the plug just to make sure.

chadf

Check out Diversified power for a new charger.
Best deal I've seen when shopping for one.

T-N-T

If the cart sat a while and the batteries drained down th3 charger doesn't recognize it's hooked to anything and won't charge

Mine is a 36 volt, and from my research anything under around 33 vlots won't kick the charger on at all.
This is likely what's wrong now.
You will need to trick your charger to get it going.

southernman13

Normally cart chargers will come on no matter
What voltage is present. There are many chargers that won't and they do require jump starting. However what you decribed shows that there is voltage present because your charger is responding. Check voltage at batteries. Whatever system voltage is put meter on CensoredCensoredCensored/neg terminals see what it reads. Turn on charger them take a reading. Youll know if charger is putting out. Also your cart probably won't work if charger is plugged in

chadf

I'll get one from the shop tomorrow and report back!

Might have to pull each battery, charge seperate, then replace and see if charger kicks on then....

Need to know your battery specs first. After u get the meter.