Changeing times we live...

Everyone knows it's not like it used to be. Places I used to go are now private owned or simply a subdivision. Do you guys think that DNR has us the hunters in their thoughts or do you think that it is all about the mighty dollar just like everything else. EXP: I rember hunting in the TNT plant in Chattanooga TN. Now it is a VW plant. TWRA had that property for us hunters to use and enjoy. Now the only ones that hunt it are the wounded warriors. I for one am totally fine with our millitery vets getting opertunitys that the standard public does not. By my opinion they deserve it and much more for the sacrifice. THANK YOU .. Now back to the point. When that transaction happened what did we the hunters get in return. Do you think that slowly but surely all public WMA lands will disappear?

strothershwacker

Keep public lands public! And yes $ corrupts everything. History has proven that the wildlife always comes second to commerce. As far as V.W. goes, the DNR never owned any of that property. They only managed it. The DNR has our interest in mind. Most DNR from admin to techs all have pursued their careers because of their passion for wildlife & wild places. Most are under paid because wildlife falls much too low on big brothers priority list. In short, support the DNR because they are the ONLY department in government that gives a hoot about your hunting opportunities! When it comes to public land being sold, it's Washington you should keep your eye on!

Well put..I believe you are correct. Not trying to go all political that is a nightmare in it's self...lol.. always worried about what will be left behind all the new generation coming up to fill our shoes. Just makes you wonder what will be left for them to enjoy.

Taco4x4

I hunt Standing Boy WMA and last year the government was trying to get the land to use as they saw fit. Luckily enough of us spoke up and it was denied. For now at least. As a constellation they are still putting in a mountain bike trail. It is bow only and I just hope that new trail don't run through my favorite little honey hole. Next year bike trail then what. We are getting pushed out with nowhere else to go.

Well in my opinion places like that . That are a bow only area should be non public use during season. In the least. In Tennessee we have north chickamagua Creek units . It is huntable Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday only public use is not allowed. I truly think before it is all over that most WMA areas will go bow only in the future.. like I said on the greetings page I haven't hunted in 10 yrs . I went to a lease that me and 109 outher people we're on 5,000 ach and now it's been sold there is a house sitting on a spot I have taken some nice deer on.. it is just about if you don't own it you can't hunt it.... .

Garnto88

The day is coming that only the rich will be able to afford to hunt. WE are seeing it already in ga. Many private leases are taken up by out of state hunters that don’t allow locals in? The locals are the reason the deer are even in existence on the property.

Tadder

With all that being said , I wonder what the beating around the WMA's and National forest has had on the population. :unsure:

Well that is a good question.. I have always wondered is the population growing or is the habitat shrinking to the extent of now we can see them.. they talk about deer density by square mile but in a few places there aren't too many square miles of timber for them to live In in some areas .?... Don't get me wrong in national Forrest like Cherokee national Forrest. Or royal blue WMA there are several square miles but the annual harvest isent that high due to them being able to spread over a vast area.. I mean we can't be everywhere all the time. So when they do a analysis how much is really checked and how much do they not access..

killabig1

Part of the problem is getting permission to hunt. I ask all the time and most landowners don't want the perceived 'liability' or have a negative view of hunting and/or hunters.
I think the DNR should give some incentives, tax credits, or something to private landowners who do allow hunting on their lands.

I agree.. I have done a lot of walking door to door. And it's hit or miss. Most of the time if you can offer some soret of compensation they are good with it.. not money but free labor yard work bushhogging.. I work in the houseing indrestry and work with tons of builders across the Chattanooga area.. so a lot will let you hunt new subdivisions if u ask the right way.. but yes for the every day home owner it would if they did that. Some want them gone beasouse of property damage.. plants trees ECT ECT.

Mexican Squealer

The day is coming that only the rich will be able to afford to hunt. WE are seeing it already in ga. Many private leases are taken up by out of state hunters that don’t allow locals in? The locals are the reason the deer are even in existence on the property.

How are the locals “the reason deer even exist on the property?”

Garnto88

The local landowners and hunters were ones who managed the deer on properties for years before commercialization . Area I live I remember when there wasn’t a deer track on the land 35-40 years ago. I remember the first track we saw on property we quail hunted on. A lot of people don’t realize that Georgia has not always had a huntable deer population in all areas of the state. Deer sightings were rare. Locals watched and monitored the property for poachers and those that didn’t want to follow stricter game laws concerning deer than we do now. Killing a doe was taboo then and for many years.