Chants

drtyTshrt

Jeff,
Thanks for the video link.
It was too good to be true. I did not have a chant and realised it by the gills like the video said but then confirmed by cutting the stem. Orange inside.

Thanks again.

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
It looks somewhat deteriorated. Monitor the spot and see if you can get a better specimen fresh and check the stem again. Gil

GLS

Couldn't get to the usual spots this morning so I did a little scouting in some turkey woods. Didn't see any chants, but saw this. Hard to see, but it's in the center of the photo, between the rotten log and brown mound slightly above the pine branch to the right. Hint: some triangular markings can be seen and it tastes like chicken. It never buzzed. Photo quality isn't great but it was highly visible when I first saw it. I did have on my snake gaiters and left well enough alone. Gil
P.S. One common two word nickname of the creature rhymes with "Pain" and "ache" in that order.
IMG_20170610_110336491_zps5wlnah3e.jpg

Last edited:

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
Couldn't get to the usual spots this morning so I did a little scouting in some turkey woods. Didn't see any chants, but saw this. Hard to see, but it's in the center of the photo, between the rotten log and brown mound slightly above the pine branch to the right. Hint: some triangular markings can be seen and it tastes like chicken. It never buzzed. Photo quality isn't great but it was highly visible when I first saw it. I did have on my snake gaiters and left well enough alone. Gil
P.S. One common two word nickname of the creature rhymes with "Pain" and "ache" in that order.
IMG_20170610_110336491_zps5wlnah3e.jpg

I`ve been studying this since you put it up, and I still can`t see it. :D

GLS

Look between the brown mound on the right and the rotten log on the left. You'll see a bright area with four opposing dark spots. Those are bits of the chevrons. The top dark spot looks triangular. I saw no need to get any closer to the snake, discretion being the better part of snake photography. He was in a resting coil the size of 14" cast iron skillet with his/her head on top. He wasn't well camo'd in the sunlight. His colors were bright as I suppose it had shed recently. Gil