Chattahoochee Buzzer Board Hog

Unicoidawg

Staff member
Nice pig Kyle, now shoot about a 100 more.

j_seph

Nice and congrats.............next time put that bullet right behind the shoulder in the heart. That 50 will drop em DRT

Killer Kyle

Nice and congrats.............next time put that bullet right behind the shoulder in the heart. That 50 will drop em DRT

Yep! That's where I normally shoot them. I call it the pit-pocket. I was just making a split second decision. I shot her free handed and running, and in that split second, I guess all I thought to do was aim for that big ol' head.

Killer Kyle

Nice pig Kyle, now shoot about a 100 more.

It ain't fer lack of tryin'! I kill every one I can. I have a love/hate feeling about hogs. They taste great, and they're fun to hunt, but boy they can ruin your hunting spots, and wreck the environment. Luckily, by the time December rolls around, they pretty well stay out of my deer spots. They more or less have moved off of the high ridges and mountains, and seem to be more in the creek bottoms by that time. That's just my personal observation, anyway. They seem to move off the high ridges by the time late season rolls around. Has anybody else noticed that, or is it just me?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Good deal! Nice hog, and a pile of good meat. Sounds like you earned that one for sure.

ripplerider

Great story! Congrats on youre success with these mtn. hogs, I have a hard time patterning them. Their movement seems pretty random to me, seems like Im usually a half-day behind them though I confess I havent put a whole lot of effort into chasing them. Killed a 200 lb. boar a couple of yrs. ago on the north (open Forest service) side of the Chattahoochee area and it had a strong musky taste that kinda turned me off of hunting them. Maybe I cooked it wrong, I dont know but you could smell the musk all through the house when it was in the crock pot. What kind of pack are you using?

bowhunterdavid

congrats man great story and a very nice hog. You ever bow hunt them? Nothing like slipping up on one and putting a rage through one, I missed one up at Chattahoochee a few years ago , that is a beautiful place God created, Thanks for sharing.

Killer Kyle

Great story! Congrats on youre success with these mtn. hogs, I have a hard time patterning them. Their movement seems pretty random to me, seems like Im usually a half-day behind them though I confess I havent put a whole lot of effort into chasing them. Killed a 200 lb. boar a couple of yrs. ago on the north (open Forest service) side of the Chattahoochee area and it had a strong musky taste that kinda turned me off of hunting them. Maybe I cooked it wrong, I dont know but you could smell the musk all through the house when it was in the crock pot. What kind of pack are you using?

Sounds like you got one of the rare "tainted" hogs. Specific to boars, I believe. This was my 18th hog killed. I haven't had a bad one yet. When BBQ'd, mine always just turn out like store bought pork. I wouldn't shy away from them. You just got a bad apple. I even leaned over and smelled this hod in the pics, and she was virtually 100% odor neutral. She was clean as a whistle, and had literally no smell whatsoever. Don't hang it up just yet! Get out there and get some more!

Killer Kyle

congrats man great story and a very nice hog. You ever bow hunt them? Nothing like slipping up on one and putting a rage through one, I missed one up at Chattahoochee a few years ago , that is a beautiful place God created, Thanks for sharing.

I do hunt them with a bow. Most of my hogs have been killed by bow. I find it pretty easy to get on them right as the white oaks start dropping. I shot two with my bow in one evening last September on Chattahoochee. Last week in September, I believe. Chattahoochee is special indeed. Not only do you get to hunt, you get beautiful hikes into your hunting spots. It's two great things in one!

Killer Kyle

Good deal! Nice hog, and a pile of good meat. Sounds like you earned that one for sure.

Worked up the meat today. Trimmed it, and purtied it up. Packaged, and got it in the freezer. I am headed out this evening and am taking some of the meat in a cooler with me to my sister's in-law's place. They feed us all the time and have been wanting some wild pork for a while, so I'm taking them a whole hindquarter, a shoulder, and a backs trap loin.Forgot how much room a big pig takes in the freezer. Most of the ones I've killed have been much smaller than her.

Killer Kyle

Thanks for the kind words guys!

Ripple Rider, my pack is an Army CFP-90 (Combat Field Pack) pack manufactured by ROTHCO. for the DOD. It was an Army issue, and very limited issue at that. It is much lesser known than our old ALICE packs. It was mainly issued somewhere between '95, and 2002. Kind of an experimental thing when the Army started messing around with internal frame packs, as opposed to the external frame packs like ALLICE packs. Some guys love ALLICE packs and swear by them, but others, like me, wear eternal scars because of them and the way they wore. As a common name, a lot of guys refer to the pack as rhe "Ranger Pack", as most of the issue went to Army Rangers. The CFP-90 is a 3,800" CI pack with massive storage capabilities. She stands taller and narrower than today's military packs. Mine is woodland camo and ghillied out with lots of burlap strands I stripped myself. Nowadays, the hunting wear has taken it's toll on her, and the burlap ghillie is all but gone. Seems like the Army and Navy have adopted the idea that wider is better. Not so. I hope they will steer away from that packing philosophy soon. Relatively light, mostly water proof, tough as iron. Has hauled a lot of blood and meat for me, including packouts in excess of 100 lbs. She has been my closest hunting companion. Here is a direct link to the manufacturer's website:

http://www.rothco.com/product-details/rothco-gi-type-cfp-90-combat-pack