Check your arrows...

fountain

..yes, another one of these threads. I've often brushed these types of threads off myself, until recently.

Back about January I missed my target and sent an arrow into some planted pines, which I couldn't find. Fast forward to last week. The straw rakes found my arrow. I was excited to have it back in my possession.
I shot that same arrow today for the first time. After the shot, I decided to give it a flex just for safety checks...Snap. it broke clean in the middle. I guess after sitting buried in the woods for a few months it became brittle. I should have had enough sense to check this BEFORE the shot, but I didn't. Glad I did check it none the less.

Another story goes back a few weeks. This time I had just shot a group and one of the arrows took a pretty tough hit and I inspected all of them well to ensure that no harm was done. To the eye, all looked well. The flex text told a different story. This was my very first flex test failure ever.

I surely am not blaming my arrows one bit. They are great arrows, but can only withstand so much abuse. For those interested these are gold tip pro hunters. They are great arrows and are very tough. One of the toughest I have ever shot. It just goes to show that there are limits to what abuse arrows can take.

Check your arrows, and check them frequently. Either of these instances could have turned bad in an instant. With the power strokes of today's bows, the slightest weakness in any arrow (any brand) can be magnified and the results could be catastrophic to both the shooter and bow.

Don't take the flex test lightly guys, it could save you.

BowanaLee

Thats scary and why I got in a habit of flexing arrows as I pull them. Even if they ain't mine.

fountain

It is. It's now became a self-practice to check them as I walk back from the target.

To add to this..I was shooting my recurve Sunday evening and had a nock break and the arrow kinda came off of the tip of my nose and the split nock went across the bridge of my nose and off cheek. I kept awaiting the blood shed, but quit for the evening with a red streak across my nose.

It can happen at any time and sometimes you just can't control that. What you can do is check and be as preventative as often as possible.

littlenorth

Two reasons why I do not shoot carbon arrows: 1)carbon generates heat causing them to bond to foam in some targets. 2)flexing the arrow, checking for flaws, one is asking to get carbon particles in to your hand.