Clover, spring 2024

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I’ve never measured it that way. I know that I spray 25 gallons to the acre so I put 16oz of cleth and 16oz non ionic surfactant per tank.

So if you’re using a 25 gallon tank that’s about 2/3 oz per gallon.

davidhelmly

I run 16 oz/ac clethodim but a lot less surfactant. I will put 1 % of total volume In surfactant. Maybe a little light but it does kill grass.
Andy, how many gallons do you spray per acre? Just curious because I use 1/2% surfactant of total volume.

WishboneW

I do about 5.5 ac with a 100 gal 3 point sprayer. Probably get +|- 20 gal per ac.

I use AN 80 non ionic surfactant. Use to use crop oil

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I have been using 1/2 oz Clethodim, 1/3 oz surfactant, and 1 oz dye per gallon. I get good grass kill except if there’s a thick spot of crabgrass.

I’ll increase the Clethodim rate a little.

Bucaramus

I used 16 oz of cleth per acre in a 45 gallon tank. I spray 22 1/2 gallons per acre but I only used 8 oz of surfactant. Recommended at 1/2 teaspoon per gallon. We'll see I guess. Also sprayed 2 1/2 qts per acre of 24DB.

WishboneW

I used 16 oz of cleth per acre in a 45 gallon tank. I spray 22 1/2 gallons per acre but I only used 8 oz of surfactant. Recommended at 1/2 teaspoon per gallon. We'll see I guess. Also sprayed 2 1/2 qts per acre of 24DB.
Let us know how it works.

I have never tank mixed the 2.

Bucaramus

Let us know how it works.

I have never tank mixed the 2.
I've seen where some say not to tank mix and some that say it's fine. Some say it doesn't mix well but I didn't see that as a problem. I don't have a close water supply so I had to make due. I've read a lot on the web about mixing and the opinions seem to be all over the place. Fingers crossed and we shall see.

davidhelmly

I've seen where some say not to tank mix and some that say it's fine. Some say it doesn't mix well but I didn't see that as a problem. I don't have a close water supply so I had to make do. I've read a lot on the web about mixing and the opinions seem to be all over the place. Fingers crossed and we shall see.
I have mixed them many times and had zero problems. I have heard you lose a little strength of the cleth when you mix but never noticed it.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
I have mixed them many times and had zero problems. I have heard you lose a little strength of the cleth when you mix but never noticed it.

Interesting. The one time I combined 24dB with cleth I didn't get a good kill either way.

I know some in this thread have talked about mowing. I have settled on mowing once, after the clover has flowered and produced seeds. As a result what I have noticed is the stolons on my clover have become thicker and more hearty and that translates to thicker more healthy clover. Allowing it to go to seed before mowing makes a difference if you ask me.

I just finished fertilizing and liming mine but I'm of the opinion I could have skipped it. In the last two weeks the clover has exploded and was ankle deep. I sprayed 24dB for the thistle and other broadleafs and when I go back in the next few days I'll hit it all with Cleth.

Mine is all starting to flower so mowing is off the table until the clover is done doing what it does this time of year.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Interesting. The one time I combined 24dB with cleth I didn't get a good kill either way.

I know some in this thread have talked about mowing. I have settled on mowing once, after the clover has flowered and produced seeds. As a result what I have noticed is the stolons on my clover have become thicker and more hearty and that translates to thicker more healthy clover. Allowing it to go to seed before mowing makes a difference if you ask me.

I just finished fertilizing and liming mine but I'm of the opinion I could have skipped it. In the last two weeks the clover has exploded and was ankle deep. I sprayed 24dB for the thistle and other broadleafs and when I go back in the next few days I'll hit it all with Cleth.

Mine is all starting to flower so mowing is off the table until the clover is done doing what it does this time of year.

The one time I mixed 2,4 db with Clethodim and surfactant it tried to gel on me. I won’t try again.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
The one time I mixed 2,4 db with Clethodim and surfactant it tried to gel on me. I won’t try again.

I didn't have that particular problem. Mine was just spraying money on the ground for nothing. :bounce:

Bucaramus

Mine was flowering too but when I mowed I did it high just to knock the tops off of the grass and thistle. Seemed to work well because when I sprayed a week later it was all still blooming.

On another property I hunt, the red clover is going nuts after lime and fertilizing.860322065796952_file20240417145403JFMO7.JPG

Last edited:

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
Crimson Clover :)

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Mine was flowering too but when I mowed I did it high just to knock the tops off of the grass and thistle. Seemed to work well because when I sprayed a week later it was all still blooming.

On another property I hunt, the red clover is going nuts after lime and fertilizing.View attachment 1300590

Mine was just starting to flower last weekend but the thistle was going gangbusters. I gave everything a serious dose of 24dB. Cleth this coming weekend unless it's too wet from the rain we're supposed to get tomorrow.

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
Should I mow it? Everything is getting pretty tall.

I wouldn't ...... that is all free seed. If you feel you must mow, those seed heads will have matured by early June and mowing will spread the seed around, some. Clethodim will take care of your grass, now.

Did you plant any other clovers in there?