Clover, spring 2024

Jim Boyd

Interesting. The one time I combined 24dB with cleth I didn't get a good kill either way.

I know some in this thread have talked about mowing. I have settled on mowing once, after the clover has flowered and produced seeds. As a result what I have noticed is the stolons on my clover have become thicker and more hearty and that translates to thicker more healthy clover. Allowing it to go to seed before mowing makes a difference if you ask me.

I just finished fertilizing and liming mine but I'm of the opinion I could have skipped it. In the last two weeks the clover has exploded and was ankle deep. I sprayed 24dB for the thistle and other broadleafs and when I go back in the next few days I'll hit it all with Cleth.

Mine is all starting to flower so mowing is off the table until the clover is done doing what it does this time of year.

Superior report.

Good work

Bucaramus

I wouldn't ...... that is all free seed. If you feel you must mow, those seed heads will have matured by early June and mowing will spread the seed around, some. Clethodim will take care of your grass, now.

Did you plant any other clovers in there?
I wish I knew. It was planted last year before I got there. I did frost seed WI clover and some Domain clover mix.

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
I wish I knew. It was planted last year before I got there. I did frost seed WI clover and some Domain clover mix.

Even more reason to not mow right now. If you look close, you may see some young seedlings germinated. Spray with clethodim and a non-ionic surfactant soon. It will kill the grass, standing and continue to let the little clovers grow. Mowing might cover them up.

Jim Boyd

I have two 18 lb bags of imperial and a 25 lb bag of Durana.

Come early October I will drill the oats and broadcast the clover and walk away.

I have some clover plots that look decent right now and they will soon be sprayed.

Gonna start with the clethodium and see what happens.

Will use the Butyrac if needed

Gonna expand to some larger fields this year and will need this seed.

Gonna go pretty heavy with the AW Peas in with the oats.

I have not researched if imperial and Duranna should go together- i may experiment.

Got a two 3 acre fields to get going.

My 500 yard range is well laden with clover but the big powerline is not. May be a project too.

Have 50 lb bag of corn and I need to plant it soonIMG_5170.jpeg

Bucaramus

Come early October I will drill the oats and broadcast the clover and walk away.

I have some clover plots that look decent right now and they will soon be sprayed.

I have not researched if imperial and Duranna should go together- i may experiment.

My 500 yard range is well laden with clover but the big powerline is not. May be a project too.

Have 50 lb bag of corn and I need to plant it soonView attachment 1300832
When we planted, we drilled the oats and clover together. Seems to have done very well.

Canuck5

I have soooooooooooo many types of clover, I wouldn't worry about mixing more varieties. Imperial WI has 3 different clovers in there to start with.

Your germination will go down a little, from one year to the next. Just keep them in a cooler place if you can.

Canuck5

Just a thought on the corn, Jim .... do you know how many "day to maturity" that bag of corn is? Do you have any cotton or peanut fields around you? Those will take some pressure off your corn.

Yes, you will want to plant it sooner rather than later, but if it is "120 day corn", you may want to plant it in later May(?). It will be mature in late September, right when you want it. However, you will be praying for rain every day.

50 pounds will plant 2-2.5 acres or a tad more.

Corn loves and needs nitrogen .... whatever your budget will allow.

Is it RoundUp Ready corn?

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

Good plan Jim. Consider adding some Patriot clover to your mix. I have had great luck mixing Patriot and Durana. I'll take pics this weekend.

Jim Boyd

When we planted, we drilled the oats and clover together. Seems to have done very well.

My drill is a piece of crap I cobbled together and does not have a box to handle small seeds.

I gotta broadcast.

I try to do it well but I am pretty much a seat of the pants guy.

Jim Boyd

Just a thought on the corn, Jim .... do you know how many "day to maturity" that bag of corn is? Do you have any cotton or peanut fields around you? Those will take some pressure off your corn.

Yes, you will want to plant it sooner rather than later, but if it is "120 day corn", you may want to plant it in later May(?). It will be mature in late September, right when you want it. However, you will be praying for rain every day.

50 pounds will plant 2-2.5 acres or a tad more.

Corn loves and needs nitrogen .... whatever your budget will allow.

Is it RoundUp Ready corn

Ii don’t recall the days.

It is 2 years old but I have kept it dry and out of the weather.

My 309 is cantankerous as all get out, one side plants heavier than the other even though the hoppers and plates are the same.

I am gonna wait til the commercial ag goes in. I have cotton and corn fields all around this year.

Yep
Will need 34-0-0 and I am afraid to go price it.

In light of my current enthusiasm for the clover, I could even be talked into skipping the corn and just keep the fields clean til I plant in October.

Decisions, decisions and projects, projects!!!

Jim Boyd

Good plan Jim. Consider adding some Patriot clover to your mix. I have had great luck mixing Patriot and Durana. I'll take pics this weekend.

Can’t wait!!!!!!!

Canuck5

Jim Boyd

Jim ..... with 2 year old corn in the bag, you could do a ragdoll test on it to check the germination rate.

And you could plant the corn in some 6-8 row strips, where you want to sneak into this fall!

I have planted two year old corn in the past and was not able to see any loss in germination.

That, however, is to a very untrained eye!

davidhelmly

Have 50 lb bag of corn and I need to plant it soon
Jim, I know you’re getting plenty of good advice on your clover but I’ll add another 2 cents worth, but you a 50# bag of red clover and mix it with your durana and your IW.

Canuck5

Attachments

• Medium Red Clover 9-3-2021.jpg
    Medium Red Clover 9-3-2021.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 4
  • Medium red clover 9-3-2021-1.jpg
    Medium red clover 9-3-2021-1.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 3

Jim Boyd

Jim, I know you’re getting plenty of good advice on your clover but I’ll add another 2 cents worth, but you a 50# bag of red clover and mix it with your durana and your IW.

I will, sir.

Used 50 lbs last year from Welter.

Thanks for telling me about them.

I don’t recall now but think I bought just the standard MRC…,

IMG_5172.jpeg

Jim Boyd

$160 / 50 lbs this year

Jim Boyd

Anyone also adding crimson clovers to these mixes?

Guess I like it cause it is so pretty.

Jim Boyd

The state grows better clover on the side of the roads than I do in my plots!!

They are LUSH right now.