Cogon grass

reflexman

Snake Dodger
I’ve been reading in a couple articles lately about Cogon grass they say it’s the seventh worst weed in the world.I have not seen it but have not been looking for it either does anybody have it on their land or lease. If so how have you dealt with it. Unfortunately they say it loves fire and is terrible for habitat etc.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Some has been found in Seminole County. It`s bad stuff.

baddave

there's an article about it in Georgia magazine says call georgia forestry commission . this magazine is put out by GEMC --- Rayle EMC.. been hearing about this for a few yrs. sounds serious

swamp hunter

Fella that dog hunts my Lease said the hogs really like it.
Said Farmers planted it at one time...that's all I know bout it.

reflexman

Snake Dodger
Been reading some more thank God they say round up kills it y’all keep an eye out for it I’ll put some pics up

buckpasser

GFC will kill it for free. Florida is ate up with it and offers no government help, so unfortunately it will be a forever problem for us. Unlike something like privot it offers no positives. It is almost ALWAYS brought in by a logging crew that brings it back from north Florida. It has been found in basically all south GA counties. The only good news is that, though it seeds out fluffy seed heads in May (that’s when it’s easiest to ID for a rookie) they are largely nonviable (1/10000 germ rate).

If you think you’ve found a patch, it’s usually very round in shape. The leaves are rough and sharp like sawgrass with a slightly offcenter midrib. The most common variety is about waste high and very dense. There is another variety that is about head high. It burns very hot.

GFC kills it for free!

reflexman

Snake Dodger
Here is a couple pics of cogon grass

Attachments

• FD7FF05B-C839-4090-A5C0-504A255F0486.png
    FD7FF05B-C839-4090-A5C0-504A255F0486.png
    573.3 KB · Views: 77