Coons and Feeders

furtaker

Has anybody found an effective way to keep coons off a tripod or hanging bucket feeder? I have a hanging bucket feeder out for pigs and they are climbing the tree and hanging from the feeder and spinning the corn out. :banginghe I thought I had it fixed where they couldn't get to it but they never cease to amaze me. I'm not sure if tack strips or shark's teeth would work and I don't see grease or Vaseline lasting longer than about one night in the woods. And besides it not being coon trapping season the property is too far for me to check traps daily. Thanks.

PVC on the legs and and a cage around your feeder

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
Guy on my club mounts his to a 2 x 4 frame. Feeder sticks thru the frame. Frame has a cage mounted on the bottom.

Frame just has to be big enough were they cant reach it thru the wire.

Warning the lid and mounting of bucket to frame has to be bullet proof or they will tear it to pieces.

BornToHuntAndFish

We get more photos of coons than deer on our trail cameras. Hogs ain't good for deer hunting lands. Hunting can be the better ways to get rid of coon & hog problems.

sleepr71

Good luck. They are hard to keep away..once they find a steady food source. They are the worst at trough style feeders. They just lay in them,eating,sleeping,and running off any deer that wants to feed from it!

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
I’m thinking about a hanging gravity feeder. Hang it to where the deer can reach it. The reason I say hanging. Harder for coons to climb up to it. No legs for hogs to tear up getting it down.

frankwright

https://www.amazon.com/Wildgame-Innovations-Varmint-Feeder-Cage/dp/B07L5SHYYP
I have one of these cages on a steel 30 gallon tripod feeder. It is made for a 55 gallon feeder but it was easy to adapt with a few new holes. Coons climb all over it but they can't reach the corn. They can reach the wires for the solar charger and have tore it up several times.
I tried grease on the legs, carpet tack strips, pepper spray and probably some other things with no luck. During season, Dukes dog proof traps work really well but you have to be close to check them.
ON a small bucket feeder and even on a plastic tripod feeder, critters don't seem to like garbage bags. I put a heavy duty contractors garbage bag over the feeder and let it drape just below the corn spinner and I slash it a little bit there. Never had anything chew a feeder with a bag on but I forgot it one time and the next time I checked something ate a hole big enough to get inside.

roscoe54

I use a cage and I had coons stick there arms in still get to the spinner I added some rabbit wire on the inside does not throw the corn as far but works run the wire all the way to the top.

old florida gator

agree that those steel plates don't stop coons , and only Vaseline slows them down till we get a good rain. i fed more coons this winter than ever before.

Mark K

Banned
I know most say they don’t live close enough to check traps, but a dozen DP’s put out the day you show up (even if only out a couple of nights) will put a dent in the coons. Do that every weekend after Dec.1 that you hunt and you won’t have much of an issue the next season. Not saying you’ll get them all, but you’ll get enough you won’t notice them as much. Do it every year and your camera pics will just get deer instead of coons.