Court ruling Turns NIL into Free For All ... Athletes Can't be Required to Negotiate through the School.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

ATLFalconsfan80

Sorry but nope, I won't. Money has ruined amateur athletics so I'm out. Deer season is a lot more fun than going to a CFB game anyway. Enjoy your NFL Lite and pretend it's still all about glory and love of the game for tOSU.

:LOL::LOL: He's out people....up until the season starts that is :LOL:

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

bullgator

Because the value that generates the revenue is the "UGA Bulldogs". The team is not worth 100's of millions without that License and the school owns that license and the fan base that goes with it. I'm not guessing. The University will generate 100's of millions from the Licensing agreement.

Title IX will be a toothless monster without the golden goose supporting it. We will see just how much the NCAA and the universities really care about the "student athletes" who aren't bringing in Billion$ on an annual basis ,and I don't think I'm going out on a limb to project: not very much.

The "I told you so" schtick is pretty stale also. I've been saying this for years and a simple search will back that up. It wasn't and isn't a very popular view around here, so I've gotten a lot of flack about it.
You have been promoting this abomination for years,….I’ll give you that.

weagle

I understand some of the sentiment for the good 'ol days but round about the Herschel Walker era is the time frame when "amateur" CFB became a fantasy perpetuated by the NCAA and folks gleaning Billion$ per year from the sport. For the last 40+ years at least, Big time college Football has been a professional sport and the difference now is the players are getting paid based on market value vs the wage set by the NCAA (tuition, room and board) Because the NCAA stuck with their fantasy right up till the end, now a complete financial restructuring will take place.

I have the same sentiment for the NCAA as I do for the IRS.

That being said, the average fan will not notice any difference in the game day product and their enthusiasm for the Dawgs, or the Tide or the Tigers etc. will not suffer.

I actually see some positives for the fans:

- The new extended commitments (trust me they are coming) between players and teams will stabilize the teams and fans can watch the same players for several years.
- The pay potential will keep a lot of talent from jumping into the NFL meat grinder. Making really good money and living the life of a College Player is the definition of living the dream. See: Bo Nix.
- The talent will also probably be more distributed. It won't be just the NFL factories that can offer future earing potential. There will be good earning potential while playing in "college"

bullgator

Yes, we who buy tickets and merchandise with our hard earned money realize how Carson Beck was so deserving of his $270,000 Lamborghini instead of being taken advantage of with a free education and the perks of a college athlete. Oh wait, he gets all that too.

weagle

Yes, we who buy tickets and merchandise with our hard earned money realize how Carson Beck was so deserving of his $270,000 Lamborghini instead of being taken advantage of with a free education and the perks of a college athlete. Oh wait, he gets all that too.
Yes. If that's the market rate. Just like you and I or any Engineer etc. at UGA gets to negotiate what we are paid based on the scarcity and value of our talents.

bullgator

When did we as adults become so jealous of kids?? Green is not a good color for alot of you guys.. :bounce:
I don’t have wealth envy. I have a healthy dislike of greed. When the players were being compensated with valuable educations and the perks of athletes, I felt that was a good deal for both sides.
Minor league sports has zero interest to me.

ddgarcia

Mr Non-Libertaw Got To Be Done My Way
Because the value that generates the revenue is the "UGA Bulldogs". The team is not worth 100's of millions without that License and the school owns that license and the fan base that goes with it. I'm not guessing. The University will generate 100's of millions from the Licensing agreement.

Title IX will be a toothless monster without the golden goose supporting it. We will see just how much the NCAA and the universities really care about the "student athletes" who aren't bringing in Billion$ on an annual basis ,and I don't think I'm going out on a limb to project: not very much.

The "I told you so" schtick is pretty stale also. I've been saying this for years and a simple search will back that up. It wasn't and isn't a very popular view around here, so I've gotten a lot of flack about it.
Problem is that you refuse to acknowledge,.is that it will NO LONGER be the Georgia Bulldogs COLLEGE football team. It will be an NFL Lite team leasing the name and that will only be worth so much to the NEW owner(s) (and even LESS to many fans of COLLEGE football).

Also MOST of the kids (some may still choose to attend, but it will be at their own expense, as the schools are no longer ger benefiting from their "services" and they'll have high paying "jobs", and oh yeah, that pesky Title IX) will no longer be students of the schools. There will no recruiting, there will be a High School draft (in order to keep the league competative just like the NFL) and the kids will have no option in where they play, same as NFL rookies. And most likely, as tuition paying students there will be no paid tutoring, "Easy A" classes, etc to ensure their sports eligibility. Most that do choose this path most likely won't be students for long.

weagle

Problem is that you refuse to acknowledge,.is that it will NO LONGER be the Georgia Bulldogs COLLEGE football team. It will be an NFL Lite team leasing the name and that will only be worth so much to the NEW owner(s) (and even LESS to many fans of COLLEGE football).

Also MOST of the kids (some may still choose to attend, but it will be at their own expense, as the schools are no longer ger benefiting from their "services" and they'll have high paying "jobs", and oh yeah, that pesky Title IX) will no longer be students of the schools. There will no recruiting, there will be a High School draft (in order to keep the league competative just like the NFL) and the kids will have no option in where they play, same as NFL rookies. And most likely, as tuition paying students there will be no paid tutoring, "Easy A" classes, etc to ensure their sports eligibility. Most that do choose this path most likely won't be students for long.
You have me mistaken with someone else. I have always said that the teams would have to separate from the College proper and would be associated with the school as a licensing agreement only. You will notice that I often use "college" in parentheses, because it will still be referred to a "college" football.

You obviously don't understand the value of the "UGA Bulldogs" "Crimson Tide" "Auburn Tigers" etc. licensing agreements, because you are just guessing based on emotion. They are worth 100's of Million$. I'm not guessing. Projections are for the schools to actually see increased revenue. Don't forget that the expense for Coach's multimillion dollar annual contracts along with the expense for the facilities etc will also be carried by the new business entity. The pie will be cut into more pieces, but it will be off set by growth.

Since the schools won't be forced by title IX to spend the money on female scholarships, we will get to see exactly how much the schools value those programs. My projection is: not much.

Last edited:

Waddams

Have the schools (that have the chops for it) partner with the NFL so they become developmental programs for the NFL. Said athletes can also take classes that count towards degrees while in the program, but don't fund them via scholarships. Fund them via revenues created by the game (TV money, ticket sales, etc.) and the NFL can chip in. Make the players and coaches all employees of the school. Players then pay for their own schooling out of their salaries, and they pay for their own room and board.

The schools that participate withdraw their football programs from the NCAA, and they would no longer be non-profit programs. Players and coaches would sign contracts, get paid, have agents, get endorsements, and be exposed to being cut and out of a job, all same as NFL players. Player contracts say player is on the team, gets paid (unless/until cut), has to go to bowl games as part of the deal, they can transfer between schools per whatever contract terms they have with their employers, or they can transfer if they get cut - just like finding a new job if you get laid off. If they can't find a new school team to join, the dream is over

Then let the college football programs that don't want to participate all go be D2 and be amateur athletic programs.

ddgarcia

You obviously don't understand the value of the "UGA Bulldogs" "Crimson Tide" "Auburn Tigers" etc. licensing agreements, because you are just guessing based on emotion. They are worth 100's of Million$. I'm not guessing. Projections are for the schools to actually see increased revenue
I understand the value just fine, but that value is for the COLLEGE team. Will that value transfer to the NFL Lite team? You seem to think it will, I don't, and many agree with me.

Also, it will take a rich person/group of people to "purchase" these teams/images and one thing I know about rich people is they ALL want to be even richer. And they don't get that way by giving away more than they earn.

And you still don't want to acknowledge the part that Title IX will play in this. I guarantee that lawsuits WILL be filed, and the courts WILL side with the athletes if they think for one minute that the schools are trying to skirt Title IX.And you can forget congress changing it. They'll get to that just as soon as they get done with SS reform and securing the southern border.

weagle

I predict a 20 year run much like NASCAR had in the 70's ,80's and mid 90's when the big money came in and there was nothing resembling a "Stock" car on the race track.

The fans will be there as long as the "Dawgs" run out of that Sanford tunnel on Saturday and won't care what's going on behind the scenes.

ETA: I have repeatedly said that title IX will be a toothless tiger re the Football programs (And some Men's Basketball programs) once they are separated from the school proper. The Schools and the NCAA will decide going forward how they will handle the other sports. I have no doubt they will screw that up too.

Last edited:

ddgarcia

The fans will be there as long as the "Dawgs" run out of that Sanford tunnel on Saturday and won't care what's going on behind the scenes
SOME fans will be there, yes, but as you can tell from the pushback you're getting here, some WON'T. Maybe it's a statistically insignificant minority, but maybe it isn't. And when the team no longer has the connection to the school but for the name, how much support will it continue to bleed? Just look at minor league baseball. How much support does it really have compared to MLB?

The schools will only be able to claim so much affiliation before that pesky Title IX gets in the way. And it will no longer be the "University of Georgia" Bulldogs but simply the Georgia Bulldogs for that reason. Should be interesting for "THE Ohio State" Buckeyes. facepalm:

ddgarcia

Have the schools (that have the chops for it) partner with the NFL so they become developmental programs for the NFL. Said athletes can also take classes that count towards degrees while in the program, but don't fund them via scholarships. Fund them via revenues created by the game (TV money, ticket sales, etc.) and the NFL can chip in. Make the players and coaches all employees of the school. Players then pay for their own schooling out of their salaries, and they pay for their own room and board.

The schools that participate withdraw their football programs from the NCAA, and they would no longer be non-profit programs. Players and coaches would sign contracts, get paid, have agents, get endorsements, and be exposed to being cut and out of a job, all same as NFL players. Player contracts say player is on the team, gets paid (unless/until cut), has to go to bowl games as part of the deal, they can transfer between schools per whatever contract terms they have with their employers, or they can transfer if they get cut - just like finding a new job if you get laid off. If they can't find a new school team to join, the dream is over

Then let the college football programs that don't want to participate all go be D2 and be amateur athletic programs.
The NCAA is irrelevant in this. It's Title IX that is the problem and why the schools haven't done this already. I'll post something on that after work to maybe help you understand it better.

Too much to process in the limited stops I get on the job.

weagle

The NCAA is irrelevant in this. It's Title IX that is the problem and why the schools haven't done this already. I'll post something on that after work to maybe help you understand it better.

Too much to process in the limited stops I get on the job.

Title IX is the reason the teams will separate from the school. It won't be (for the football programs) once the teams separate from the schools. It will still apply to the sports that remain.

The courts have ruled that the schools can't control the player revenue. The newly formed "college" league can make it's own rules (within the law) and will bring organization to what is now chaos; multi year contracts, non-competes etc.

You basically agree with me re the big picture except that you think paying the players will result in the destruction of the fan base, and I don't. The money and control mechanisms are being worked out and the fan base (except for a tiny minority) will neither notice nor care.

bullgator

Minor league baseball and basketball players make about 60k a year. They have much less overhead and fewer players to pay. Neither sport is paying them Lamborghini money. This is unsustainable and had better get corrected to the fans approval.

ddgarcia

Title IX is the reason the teams will separate from the school. It won't be (for the football programs) once the teams separate from the schools. It will still apply to the sports that remain.

The courts have ruled that the schools can't control the player revenue. The newly formed "college" league can make it's own rules (within the law) and will bring organization to what is now chaos; multi year contracts, non-competes etc.

You basically agree with me re the big picture except that you think paying the players will result in the destruction of the fan base, and I don't. The money and control mechanisms are being worked out and the fan base (except for a tiny minority) will neither notice nor care.
No. We agree on separation but THAT is what will destroy the fan base. It will no longer be "college" football, it will be NFL Lite.

There will be ZERO affiliation with the schools except for the leasing of naming rights, and this may become a sticky situation in the courts if they determine that they are merely attempting to circumvent Title IX, and the use of the stadiums for games. The players won't be students, a FEW may try it without the benefit of all the added bennies they have as STUDENT athletes, as the school will not care if they fail, since their eligibility to play will not be dependent on them maintaining passing grades.

The new owners most likely will, at the least, reduce the size, and likely eventually do away with, "student sections" as that is lost revenue that paying fans could be utilizing, and that will further distance the teams from the schools.

As with this whole thing, it won't happen overnight, but it very well may come to pass. And to say definitively that it won't is just foolish. I haven't missed yet, but this is pure speculation.

It will negatively impact the non NFL Lite schools first as the TV, Bowl Game, and "payday" games dry up. Someplace in there someone will sue for the schools attempting to circumvent Title IX, and when the schools get slapped for that, the full separation will become reality and the revenue to THOSE schools will start drying up.

Then we'll see if NFL Lite survives or not.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I predict a 20 year run much like NASCAR had in the 70's ,80's and mid 90's when the big money came in and there was nothing resembling a "Stock" car on the race track.

The fans will be there as long as the "Dawgs" run out of that Sanford tunnel on Saturday and won't care what's going on behind the scenes.

ETA: I have repeatedly said that title IX will be a toothless tiger re the Football programs (And some Men's Basketball programs) once they are separated from the school proper. The Schools and the NCAA will decide going forward how they will handle the other sports. I have no doubt they will screw that up too.
I’m not sure you’re right, NASCAR has struggled mightily. IE, tracks shutting down large sections of seating to make it look full for TV.

The Stetson story would likely never happen. No walk on taking a “job” away from a contract boy. I’m just not seeing it. I been a diehard fan for decades. Nothing about this appeals to me.

Just take the Braves farm team and stick the UGA label on them. College athletics?