Coyote trapping question...

davel

Is there a way to trap just coyotes and not bobcats? We don't want to trap the bobcats and I certainly don't want to try and release one either.
Thanks.

Doug B.

They are both predators and as a predator they are always hunting and looking in the same places and for the same prey. I've caught a bobcats in a lot of sets that I just knew there would be a coyote or I just caught a coyote the day before.

The first one you release can sometimes be a rodeo, but it's no big deal after you turn two or three loose.

davel

Haha! Yall are too funny! I think I will just shoot the coyotes. I know we won't affect them much that way but I've had cats and know what can happen when they are mad!

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Haha! Yall are too funny! I think I will just shoot the coyotes. I know we won't affect them much that way but I've had cats and know what can happen when they are mad!

Ain't no mad housecat even close...:rofl:

Seriously, if you have an interest, I would 100% tell you to learn to trap. It's tons of fun, and yet another excuse to get in the woods. You'll learn a lot, catch some coyotes, and improve your woodsman skills.

There are good folks here that will help out, cheer you on, and be as happy as you are when you roll up on that first bouncing coyote!!

I've gone from curious rookie to a guy who can catch coyotes in a year. It's rewarding work, and my grandboys love it too.

There's no reason not to, and if I can do it, you can too!

Get out there and pinch his foot, man!!

davel

Ain't no mad housecat even close...:rofl:

Seriously, if you have an interest, I would 100% tell you to learn to trap. It's tons of fun, and yet another excuse to get in the woods. You'll learn a lot, catch some coyotes, and improve your woodsman skills.

There are good folks here that will help out, cheer you on, and be as happy as you are when you roll up on that first bouncing coyote!!

I've gone from curious rookie to a guy who can catch coyotes in a year. It's rewarding work, and my grandboys love it too.

There's no reason not to, and if I can do it, you can too!

Get out there and pinch his foot, man!!
Thanks!!

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Bobcats aren’t hard to release ! Everyone needs to get to ol heart rate up ever now and then anyway . I’m a rookie trapper and know the cats probably need control also but I really like em and have released 6 in the past 2, years .

CritterCatcher

As has been said, you can't eliminate cat catches, but you can do things (or not do things) that make it a little less likely. Keep in mind that cats are primarily visual hunters, where coyotes hunt with their nose. When a cat comes to a two track, it will look both ways, and if it doesn't see anything interesting, continue across. A coyote will likely run up and down that two track.

So, how does that info help you to reduce cat catches? Keep your sets less visual and more scent oriented. If you mark your sets, use subtle markers. A piece of orange flagging will give a cat something interesting to check out. Then when he gets to your set, he will smell it, and you'll have to release him. If you make a dirthole set, keep it small. Flat sets work better this time of year anyway. If I am targeting cats, I make a dirthole about 4 or 5 inches in diameter because that's what cats like. So, if you don't want to catch one, use a small hole, or no hole.

None of this will guarantee you won't catch a cat, but it should help.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
As has been said, you can't eliminate cat catches, but you can do things (or not do things) that make it a little less likely. Keep in mind that cats are primarily visual hunters, where coyotes hunt with their nose. When a cat comes to a two track, it will look both ways, and if it doesn't see anything interesting, continue across. A coyote will likely run up and down that two track.

So, how does that info help you to reduce cat catches? Keep your sets less visual and more scent oriented. If you mark your sets, use subtle markers. A piece of orange flagging will give a cat something interesting to check out. Then when he gets to your set, he will smell it, and you'll have to release him. If you make a dirthole set, keep it small. Flat sets work better this time of year anyway. If I am targeting cats, I make a dirthole about 4 or 5 inches in diameter because that's what cats like. So, if you don't want to catch one, use a small hole, or no hole.

None of this will guarantee you won't catch a cat, but it should help.

That's good stuff, CC!! Makes perfect sense!