Crows...

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
I've always had a keen interest in their intelligence and social behavior.
A pair nested in a tall pine in my neighbor's yard above my back patio and had a few bitties this spring.
I have a befriended them with raw peanuts in the shell and various food scraps. They are now getting to where they will show up on the patio while we are there to grab or wait for a handout. Still pretty shy though... I would like to see them much less shy.
I did a little bit of google-foo wondering if they would affect my good population of regular songbirds in my feeders. From what I have read and my empirical observations, apparently not. I have enjoyed them chasing the hawks away from hunting my little pet chipmunks.
It's only the adult pair and two or three young birds, not a whole murder hanging around. They will sit in various spots in my and my neighbor's trees where they can see if there are any offerings in the little spot I feed them.
I don't want to make them dependent but I am wondering if they will grow out of this and visit less or will they hang alround long term.
My wife is a little leary of this but I enjoy them hanging around and squawking and talking.
Anybody have any experience with this?

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
We feed a lot of dogs and sometimes discard old dogfood. I put it in a spot where whatever wildlife that wants it can get it. Crows have been very regular at checking the spot for years. When it has not been there for a while they seem to move on to other food without difficulty.

In my experience, crows are pretty smart birds and the variety in their vocalizations is amazing.

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
They'll eat the other birds eggs or kill the chicks.
Or? Oh they will. They will take a chick one by one and eat them while the parents attack and they will empty the nest.

I speak Crow. It's BANG, BANG, BANG and BANG! reload....

The OP already knows what I think about them.. :bounce:

Last edited:

slow motion

Good luck with em. You'll probably change their behavior a little. The adults already know how to forage. The young might learn bad habits. Crows are egg eaters and eat young birds but so does a lot of other animals like snakes and coons. Just part of nature.

Pig Predator

Useles Billy’s Fishel Hog Killer ?
Good luck with em. You'll probably change their behavior a little. The adults already know how to forage. The young might learn bad habits. Crows are egg eaters and eat young birds but so does a lot of other animals like snakes and coons. Just part of nature.
Oh yeah. They gang up on snakes and everything else too!

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
After the last nuclear holocaust there will be a select few critters left alive and thriving. Brush wolves-coyotes, palmetto bugs, possums, and crows.

And skeeters.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
I've always had a keen interest in their intelligence and social behavior.
A pair nested in a tall pine in my neighbor's yard above my back patio and had a few bitties this spring.
I have a befriended them with raw peanuts in the shell and various food scraps. They are now getting to where they will show up on the patio while we are there to grab or wait for a handout. Still pretty shy though... I would like to see them much less shy.
I did a little bit of google-foo wondering if they would affect my good population of regular songbirds in my feeders. From what I have read and my empirical observations, apparently not. I have enjoyed them chasing the hawks away from hunting my little pet chipmunks.
It's only the adult pair and two or three young birds, not a whole murder hanging around. They will sit in various spots in my and my neighbor's trees where they can see if there are any offerings in the little spot I feed them.
I don't want to make them dependent but I am wondering if they will grow out of this and visit less or will they hang alround long term.
My wife is a little leary of this but I enjoy them hanging around and squawking and talking.
Anybody have any experience with this?

I've got a group of five that pretty much live at my place. Been here a few years.

They seem to play nice with everyone else that lives nearby, and not get too aggressive.

They will not tolerate hawks or strange crows, though.

I've been saying since they moved in that if I caught them screwing up I'd shoot em. So far they have caused no trouble, and probably prevented some, from hawks and other crows.

Latest posts