DAD THINKING: My Son's first vehicle

basstrkr

In 1997 when he turned 16 we had a 1970, 2 door Jeep wagoneer, 4 wheel drive, with extra wide tires and rims. It looked big and wide. When you drove down county 2 lanes a lot of folks would get over and give you some room. So it was his first vehicle. I figured folks would give him some room and with all that metal and weight if there was an accident he would come out on the winning end.

What did ya'll do?

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
In 1997 when he turned 16 we had a 1970, 2 door Jeep wagoneer, 4 wheel drive, with extra wide tires and rims. It looked big and wide. When you drove down county 2 lanes a lot of folks would get over and give you some room. So it was his first vehicle. I figured folks would give him some room and with all that metal and weight if there was an accident he would come out on the winning end.

What did ya'll do?
Dad "loaned" me his 1953 35hp VW Beetle with the slide back top. When he "borrowed" it back to go deer hunt'n it had a Porsche 911 motor in it.. he was not happy.

JustinR06

My first was a 78 Z28 me and my dad restored so completely opposite. However my oldest got my 06 silverado 1500 4x4 and the youngest will get my 98 1500 4x4. Same line of thinking with a little more size and metal around them. Plus once the youngest gets the 98 it'll give me good reason to finally get something else after all these years.

Hillbilly stalker

Dad put me in a 1961 Apache 10 pickup ( around1982) with a straight 6 and 3 on the tree. I was a wild one, he always said I could tear up a steel anvil with a rubber hammer.:biggrin2:. He saw me ride mini bikes, dirt bikes, dune buggy and knew I had some Evil Knevil in my blood. After loosing most ever race with my buddies, I drove it home one Saturday night in second gear just to blow the motor, I knew he had a spare 283 V8 sitting in the corner. I never wrecked that truck showing out……and I twisted it doing bootleg turns and everything else. Had alot of ice on the road one night and smacked a tree, bent the frame. Dad wanted metal around me for when I wrecked. I waited almost 30 years to tell him I intentionally blew up that motor, he still got madder than a wet hen.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
I had a 75 firebird.

My dad was nuts, huh?
Oh, I don't know about that. After "we" put the 35hp motor back in the bug and sold the 911 motor.. Dad "helped" me buy a '70 & 1/2 split bumper Z-28 beater and "helped" with the bumper to bumper rebuild. He figured that if I could drive the bug with 911 in it for 8 months without wreck'n I could drive what ever I wanted. :bounce:

GeorgiaGlockMan

Oh, I don't know about that. After "we" put the 35hp motor back in the bug and sold the 911 motor.. Dad "helped" me buy a '70 & 1/2 split bumper Z-28 beater and "helped" with the bumper to bumper rebuild. He figured that if I could drive the bug with 911 in it for 8 months without wreck'n I could drive what ever I wanted. :bounce:
Ohhh.

I loved a 70.5 Camero.

Knew a girl in hs with one. The firebird was lots faster...lol

heggy

In 2018, my daughter paid half and wife & I paid the other half for a 1998 Volvo S70 with 275,000 miles on it. We wanted daughter to have skin in the game. The car was registered under her name.
That car was nice!!! It had heated leather seats, great stereo and other nice amenities.

20191109_100858_Film3.jpg

Last edited:

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
In 2018, my daughter paid half and wife & I paid the other half for a 1998 Volvo S70 with 275,000 miles on it. We wanted daughter to have skin in the game. The car was registered under her name.
That car was nice!!! It had heated leather seats, great stereo and other nice amenities.

View attachment 1292360
And being one of the safest vehicles you could wrap around her didn't hurt your feelings either, did it Dad?

bilgerat

Senior
My first car was a 67 Buick lesabre wildcat 400, Had a lot of fun in that land yacht. 3 days before I turned 18 I took a curve too fast and rolled it down a hill 3 n a half times.

leroy

Mine was a 78 cutlass calais, white. Parents bought our first vehicle for each of us, kept it about 1.5 years then sold it bought me a Nissan 4x4 pickup, dad cosigned with me think payments were like 150 dollars, then borrowed enough to buy me a older ranger bomber style bass boat, paid both off early.

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
My parents loved me, apparently. They put me in a Ford Pinto.

I, on the otherhand, put my son in my 'hand-me-down' '96 Toyota T-100 in 2007, which kept him safe through several fender-benders, some his fault, some not.

My daughter first got a used 2000 Izusu Trooper as her first vehicle in 2009, and later, in my supercrew F150. I later took that back from her when she bought herself a nissan altima.

JB0704

I Gots Goats
I gave my son a '94 Bronco I had bought when he was 3 and held onto for him. He n I did a lot of work restoring it, and it got him through college (kinda, it spent about half the time in a shop). He got a Tacoma when he graduated, and just sold that old Bronco two days ago. It hurt seeing it drive off outta the driveway. A lot of good memories wrapped up in that Truck from when he was a little kid and when he was older restoring it with me. Some of the Billys who were around about 2017 n 2018 prolly remember seeing a lotta pics of what we were doing with it back then.