DAD THINKING: My Son's first vehicle

JB0704

I Gots Goats
I currently own a '03 Diesel F250 which I hope will be my daughter's first vehicle here in about 2 years.

specialk

74 long bed chevy 2door, am radio, vinyl seats and floor board, nothing electric, bench seat, 350 2bl carb......it got 16 MPG, 8 on the hwy-8 in the city...lol....

JonathanG2013

In 1997 when he turned 16 we had a 1970, 2 door Jeep wagoneer, 4 wheel drive, with extra wide tires and rims. It looked big and wide. When you drove down county 2 lanes a lot of folks would get over and give you some room. So it was his first vehicle. I figured folks would give him some room and with all that metal and weight if there was an accident he would come out on the winning end.

What did ya'll do?

I am close in age to your son. I turned 16 in 96. I paid cash for my first vehicle. A 91 ford ranger 5 speed manual. Had it for like 4 years until an older gentlman pulled out in front of me 4 3 years later and it got totaled. Nice little truck.

krizia829

When I first started driving, I'd drive dad's 2008 Armada to school. I felt like a superstar lol but when it came down to owning my first car, I'm proud to say that I bought it myself! :)

It was a 2012 Hyundai Veloster. Fun little car to drive but not very safe now looking back. It got totaled when I was pregnant with my first born. Lady took a red light and hit my side. Got the money from the accident and got myself a 2017 Rav4 then traded it for my now 2018 Silverado :cool:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
My first vehicle was a 1970 Ford F-100. I bought it for $450.

jdgator

My first vehicle was purchased for me for 400 bucks in 1997. It was a 1980 Datson Sentra. Two-door box on wheels. Brown vinyl interior with tan exterior. My father called it “Birth control.”

My second vehicle was a late 70s Chevrolet Scottsdale. It spent a fair amount of time in the Appalachicola National Forest and Tate's Hill State Forest. Full-time four-wheel-drive.

It had rust holes in the floorpans which we repaired with fiberglass. Additional drain plugs were added because I occasionally took it swimming.

It had a Holley 4-barrel carburetor. It was a real pain to start in the winter mornings so we drilled a hole in the top of the carburetor and added a machine screw that could be removed so I could shoot a little starter fluid into it.

Lilly001

67’ Ford Falcon SW. With the 6 cylinder engine and auto trans.
Not really a hot car. I payed 75$ for it.
I bought it off the local radio swap shop. I had my dad tow me home because it wouldn’t stay running.
It was truly deserving of the junk yard but my dad and I rebuilt almost everything on it from the engine to the suspension and brakes. The transmission was ok but I had to patch the body and give it a spray bomb finish. I worked at a tire store so I put take offs on it. A lot of learning and memories came from that car. I sold it 5 years later for 95$.
Best car I ever owned
I bought my son an older doge pu. All in my name. Best discipline tool I ever had.

Timberman

I picked up a 2000 4runner when mine turned 16. He drove it until his senior year in college last year before he wrung all the usefulness out of it. Sold it to a Mexican whom I'm sure patched it up and is still using it. Incredibly tough vehicle.

buckmanmike

My first car I bought was a '71 Dodge Demon 340. I paid cash for it. Earned the money working at West Lumber Co and Winn Dixie. I wish I still had it, it would scoot.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
I wouldn't be happy either if my knucklehead of a son cut the back off my classic car to put a 911 engine in.:eek2:
Back then they had the same block (no cut'n) just a 4 bolt swap.

Pig Predator

Useles Billy’s Fishel Hog Killer ?
Back then they had the same block (no cut'n) just a 4 bolt swap.
Porsche hasn't ever put a 4 cylinder in a 911. The 911 6 cylinder is a 4 bolt swap in a bug but you gotta cut the part of the engine bay that secures the rear apron to make room for the extra 2 cylinders. The fan/shroud for the cooling is bigger and on the front of the engine instead of the vw doghouse fan/shroud at the firewall so you couldn't use the engine lid unless you cut it.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
Porsche hasn't ever put a 4 cylinder in a 911. The 911 6 cylinder is a 4 bolt swap in a bug but you gotta cut the part of the engine bay that secures the rear apron to make room for the extra 2 cylinders. The fan/shroud for the cooling is bigger and on the front of the engine instead of the vw doghouse fan/shroud at the firewall so you couldn't use the engine lid unless you cut it.
My bad had to look back and it was a Porsche 356 flat 4.

Latest posts