Deadliest calls on smart birds

GA DAWG

I could Prolly use my wingbone call to scratch in the leaves with and bring him on in. Since I can't make any other turkey noise with it.

RUNnGUN

For the ones hating on the wingbone and trumpet, I'm sorry that you don't like them but I know from personal experience that they work I've seen it happen and have done it myself.. I've been around many old timers and they have all recommended to use those 2 calls if a bird won't answer to anything else, or come in to anything else for that matter.

RUNnGUN

I would have to say that 99% of the time if a bird won't gobble to a pot, box, mouth etc.. He will gobble to a wingbone or trumpet.. What do ya'll think?[/QUOTE]

That you are being sarcastic.

I'm not being sarcastic at all, I'm only 20 and have seen this happen plenty more times than not.. Apparently we don't associate with the same breed of turkey hunters.

RUNnGUN

On a more serious note, a tube call gobble can bring in a hung-up boss tom better than anything else I know. It scares away 2 year olds, but the bigger ones often come in strutting. The biggest I've ever killed with my bow came in to 20 yards, strutting, side-by-side with another equal-sized 4-year-old.

I've also watched this happen before. Both my dad and the guy I mentioned earlier have their gobbles perfected and it will get them every time!

bull0ne

Banned
I would have to say that 99% of the time if a bird won't gobble to a pot, box, mouth etc.. He will gobble to a wingbone or trumpet.. What do ya'll think?

I don't feel anyone is handicapped by NOT using a wing bone or a trumpet. As long as you sound realistic with your calls in regards to tone, cadence, volume ......and provided you're not over calling to the bird. You'll be fine on the calling aspect of turkey hunting. ( I feel we all, myself included, call too much too loud and too often when working a bird. )

I feel whats more important than call type, is being in the bird's personal zone before making a serious attempt to work the bird. The closer you are, the more serious the bird will react to possibly meeting the supposed hen.......if........he's in the mood to begin. ( if he has hens, you're prolly done before you've even started, and the bird wants/expects you to one to join his harem )

Merely yanking a shock gobble out of a bird at 300 yards with hen talk or cutting, only means a gobbler is there. Gotta get close to " take his temperature " by gauging his reaction to your calling, then see what's really on his mind.

No matter what call you're using......some birds are gonna dummy-up, cool off and leave you wondering why. Just part of the spring game one has to accept.

RUNnGUN

I agree with everything you just said, but last year I called 3 different gobblers away from their hens out of a miracle I'd guess. If I get a bird to answer me and he sounds like he's coming I'll quit calling and maybe call once every 30 minutes, I do not call much at all. But I can not think of a single person that I've talked to that has not said the wingbone and trumpet are the most effective, simply because most people don't know how to use them or just chose not too

thebreeze

Banned
I've also watched this happen before. Both my dad and the guy I mentioned earlier have their gobbles perfected and it will get them every time!
and out of 'EVERY TIME', how many times are you referring to? 1, 2, maybe 3, i guarantee you there ain't a call made that will get them EVERY TIME....

fullstrut

My motto is call less kill kill often! I carry all in my arsenal,but feeling a bird out is the key to a bird in the truck or going home empty handed.

bull0ne

Banned
I agree with everything you just said, but last year I called 3 different gobblers away from their hens out of a miracle I'd guess. If I get a bird to answer me and he sounds like he's coming I'll quit calling and maybe call once every 30 minutes, I do not call much at all. But I can not think of a single person that I've talked to that has not said the wingbone and trumpet are the most effective, simply because most people don't know how to use them or just chose not too

Laying a good dose of silence on a bird and giving him time to drop that foolish gobbler pride by coming to the setup is what's nearly impossible for people to do. Especially when the hunt is on a short timetable due to hunting before work.

You're showing much restraint by cutting back on the calling once you feel the bird is committed. :cheers:

What I've started doing, especially on short hunts, is heat the bird up as much as possible. Then go silent and sit the last 30 minutes in total inaction.

One of 2 things will happen. The bird will break and come in. ( albeit some times silently ) Or he'll lose interest and wander off. ( then I can hopefully slip out without buggering him up. With hopes to work him another day. )

One day.......when time and self discipline allows such, I intend to master the trumpet and wing bone. Then pull one out when all else isn't working. Then I'll have my own side by side comparison. ( as I've never seen either in action in the turkey woods till now )

RUNnGUN

and out of 'EVERY TIME', how many times are you referring to? 1, 2, maybe 3, i guarantee you there ain't a call made that will get them EVERY TIME....

Ok ya got me, I forget some people don't know how to take sarcasm.. But 75-80% of the time is a lot closer to every time than it is to never, am I right?
Sorry if you think I'm bragging, boasting or whatever because I'm not trying to at all.. The group of guys I hunt with all like to use different calls though, so we get a good chance to see what really works and what doesn't.
If you find a turkey that is really desperate you can just about say "here mr. turkey" and kill him.

deast1988

Hard smart birds, find another. Lol

I like knowing the property and a good dose of woodsmanship.
Calls tubes and copper just a unique sound that they might not of heard before.

People with time could map with trail cams and check in time to time the heat of spring smart birds make mistakes. It's a matter of being there when they do.

I've seen birds that go silent at the first hint of a man made call. Trumpets are different and can be deadly in there own right. Haven't ever messed with one but love that sound. Sometimes a gobble can mess up birds demeanor even if he's silent or not speaking much.

RUNnGUN

Laying a good dose of silence on a bird and giving him time to drop that foolish gobbler pride by coming to the setup is what's nearly impossible for people to do. Especially when the hunt is on a short timetable due to hunting before work.

You're showing much restraint by cutting back on the calling once you feel the bird is committed. :cheers:

What I've started doing, especially on short hunts, is heat the bird up as much as possible. Then go silent and sit the last 30 minutes in total inaction.

One of 2 things will happen. The bird will break and come in. ( albeit some times silently ) Or he'll lose interest and wander off. ( then I can hopefully slip out without buggering him up. With hopes to work him another day. )

One day.......when time and self discipline allows such, I intend to master the trumpet and wing bone. Then pull one out when all else isn't working. Then I'll have my own side by side comparison. ( as I've never seen either in action in the turkey woods till now )

If you're a silent soft caller I really feel like you're going to kill more birds, or call in more birds for other people to kill than the loud over calling hunter, IMO.

I am by no means a master of the trumpet or wing bone, I can cluck, cut, and yelp, but in reality thats all you really need besides maybe a purr here and there, and I only know of one guy who is trying to learn to purr on one. This is also the only call the guy uses.

All in all there's really nothing to it, I picked one up and started doing it and after several pointers from frequent users they had me calling on it in no time. Most of the time it's just practice, practice, and more practice.

RUNnGUN

Hard smart birds, find another. Lol

I like knowing the property and a good dose of woodsmanship.
Calls tubes and copper just a unique sound that they might not of heard before.

People with time could map with trail cams and check in time to time the heat of spring smart birds make mistakes. It's a matter of being there when they do.

I've seen birds that go silent at the first hint of a man made call. Trumpets are different and can be deadly in there own right. Haven't ever messed with one but love that sound. Sometimes a gobble can mess up birds demeanor even if he's silent or not speaking much.

That's the kind of turkey hunting I'm used to right there, after all everyone on here could argue about calling all day if they wanted to, but sadly for some calling is only 10% of the game plan. Being a wise woodsman, knowing the birds, and having the want to is the major parts of turkey hunting.

deast1988

The games over if your your set up is wrong. Sometimes the deadliest call is the one that's never made.

RUNnGUN

Amen! sounds like we do the same kind of hunting for sure!

deast1988

I've cut my teeth on these birds hard for the last few years. I've played the tag along game trying to stay with the flock till his ladies play out and he's lonely.

I've played the check back before lunch and see if he's lonely.

I've messed with the bird you call too and heads the other way regardless of what you do.

It's the game we choose to play.

I've read some of Ray Eyes stuff he talks about a method that worked last year for me. When your roosting a bird trying to get a shock gobble use your sweetest hen call ya got. After you know he's flown up for the night. Because he will go to sleep thinking about the new girl he left on the ground. It's worth a shot!

When your talking about a bird you threw everything you had at and he still seems to be playing out.

RUNnGUN

That makes perfect sense! I've always heard that if you can get one to gobble at you around lunch that he's going to be committed, because his hens have left him for the day.. never really tried it though. I know I will this year though with so many people lined up to take hunting!

mossyoakpro

I could Prolly use my wingbone call to scratch in the leaves with and bring him on in. Since I can't make any other turkey noise with it.

I thought the same thing but I decided I was NOT gonna let it beat me so after threats of divorce and some injuries I think I can make enough noise to try a gobbler with it this year.....only when I hunt by myself though.

MCNASTY

Im with full strut, less is better on an educated turkey. Some may think you can't educate a bird or you can call in any bird given enough mornings and evenings. But personally if I can pattern a turkey and just get where he wants to go I'll try to kill him with just a cluck or two. There's not a cure all call, but there is being a woodsman.

fishnfool

I bought a trumpet been practicing for a month with it and getting pretty good. You can definitely get some range out of it! The only thing is how do yall camo them? I have tried painting but it keeps coming off. Do they make a paint specifically for brass?

Latest posts