Deadliest calls on smart birds

RUNnGUN

I bought a trumpet been practicing for a month with it and getting pretty good. You can definitely get some range out of it! The only thing is how do yall camo them? I have tried painting but it keeps coming off. Do they make a paint specifically for brass?

I leave mine exactly like it is because it's not a call you can use when they are in close, besides most trumpets are made to be pretty so I wouldn't want to ruin the look either.

Melvin4730

Any kind of call the turkey doesn't hear a lot. Anything thats a little different...trumpet, wingbone, tube, scratch box...

hambone76

Whether or not a turkey gobbles is dictated by his mood for the most part. Most often the type of call is irrelevent.

humpback

When I was a young man I hunted a turkey for3 weeks every day an culdnt kill him I used every call in the book. Would always hangup at 80 or so yards. I one day got Ben Lee's number outa hunting book he wrote an I called him. I told him how I tried every call in the book. I asked him what call should I use an he said "son you beter use the.270."

M Sharpe

because it's not a call you can use when they are in close,

And why not???

I've called several all the way to the gun while call in one hand and gun in the other propped on my knee.

If birds aren't gobbling, they aren't gobbling. I don't care what kind of call you're using. Trumpets and wingbones are not some kind of magical call!!! If all of the turkeys are quite in the woods, what's the chance of one "hot hen" running throughout the woods yelping and cutting everywhere she goes?

Last edited:

Jody Hawk

When I was a young man I hunted a turkey for3 weeks every day an culdnt kill him I used every call in the book. Would always hangup at 80 or so yards. I one day got Ben Lee's number outa hunting book he wrote an I called him. I told him how I tried every call in the book. I asked him what call should I use an he said "son you beter use the.270."

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

gregg

Ben Lee said this about hunting beat-up turkeys: "When you try to hunt a turkey like this, you usually have to make one of two critical decisions. Do you want to call to the turkey, or do you want to kill it? Most of the time, you get the option to do one or the other, but not to do both. If you call to the turkey, you probably won't kill it. If you plan to kill the turkey, you probably don't need to call to him.”

And this: Lee also believed that two men had a better chance at taking a tough tom than one man did, especially if the hunters wanted to take one of those sent-from H___L gobblers that would gobble his head off as he walked-away from you. "Once I know I'm hunting a gobbler like this, I'll hoot to him early in the morning to keep-up with his location,” Lee explained. “Then I'll run through the woods and try to get ahead of the bird. I'll leave my buddy where we’ve heard the turkey gobbling. I'll ask him to give me 10 to 15 minutes to get into position before he starts calling to the turkey. Because the turkey will gobble as he walks to me and away from my buddy, I can get in the position to have that gobbler walk right in front of me, even though I’ve never called to him.”

Lots of truth to this, Ben Lee was a funny dude.

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
We killed a turkey last year that I had hunted about every weekend. He was never coming closer than 75 to 100 yards no matter what. There were 2 of them that always stayed together. I knew every move they were going to make by the end of April. If they roosted in a certain place I knew which direction they would go. Finally at the end, I had a hen walk by to roost one evening and heard 2 birds roost about 100 yards above me on a hardwood strip. The next morning me, my son, and nephew were in wait because I knew they would hit the top of a hill on an old logging road and gobble all his hens in. My son shot the closest of the two. 11 1/2 inch paint brush with 1 1/2 spurs. They were basically unkilllable with a call. It was my most enjoyable hunt in over 25 years and I didn't even pull the trigger. I finally outsmarted that sucker!

Carp

I'm sure that call would be even more effective, if the hunter first liberally sprays down the set-up area with Tink's Tom Turkey Scent (which also was an actual product you might remember about 15-20 years ago).

:

Yep.....

Attachments

• Turkey Scent (600 x 450).jpg.jpg
    Turkey Scent (600 x 450).jpg.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 471

ALPHAMAX

i like gettin to the woods and useing trumpet call for the range it has,they gobble back go set up & use slate clucks,purrs & yelps. if he is henned up-slate w/some scratching try to get the hen to come in or use a kee-kee to get her & maybe he'll follow. if not try to move your location on the bird & if that doesn't work then come back @ lunch time,set up & use slate call w/some clucks purrs & yelps

RUNnGUN

Looks like everyone has some different opinions for sure, however I definitely worded the title to this thread wrong. I should've called it "best call to get the smart birds in," but oh well.. Maybe people can learn from some of the stuff said on here. I know that I've learned a thing or 2.. Maybe 3

Timber1

BANNED
For the ones hating on the wingbone and trumpet, I'm sorry that you don't like them but I know from personal experience that they work I've seen it happen and have done it myself.. I've been around many old timers and they have all recommended to use those 2 calls if a bird won't answer to anything else, or come in to anything else for that matter.

Can't speak for others but I don't hate trumpets, wing bones, or tubes. I've tried most any type call that has come down the pike at one time or another. Best tube I ever used was an old home made snuff can. Tubes are hard to keep tuned, trumpets and wing bones tickle the crap out of my lips and are easy to lose and or break. MKW and Bram make some really good looking and I'm sure some fine sounding calls. I am rough on my equipment, why I don't carry a box either, and I'd hate to break or lose something someone has taken so much care to build. Howsomever though, if your original statement were true all I'd carry would be a wing bone or trumpet. Why would anyone use anything else?

MKW

Properly used, trumpets and wingbones are great turkey calls, but there is no magic call out there...be it type or one specific call.

By the way, Timber1, if a trumpet tickles, you're probably running it in the wrong place on your lip.

Mike

RUNnGUN

Properly used, trumpets and wingbones are great turkey calls, but there is no magic call out there...be it type or one specific call.

By the way, Timber1, if a trumpet tickles, you're probably running it in the wrong place on your lip.

Mike

Magic call, maybe not, but I bet if you use a kind of call that turkeys never hear such as wing bone, trumpet or tube your kill ratio will go up... I could be wrong though.

MKW

Magic call, maybe not, but I bet if you use a kind of call that turkeys never hear such as wing bone, trumpet or tube your kill ratio will go up... I could be wrong though.

Every turkey I've killed for the last 4 years heard a trumpet. I know what you are saying and that's exactly why I use trumpets...because not many people use them. To be honest though, I killed just as many before I started using one. The amount of turkeys that I kill is limited by the state, not the calls I use. :D

Mike

RUNnGUN

Every turkey I've killed for the last 4 years heard a trumpet. I know what you are saying and that's exactly why I use trumpets...because not many people use them. To be honest though, I killed just as many before I started using one. The amount of turkeys that I kill is limited by the state, not the calls I use. :D

Mike

HAHA yeah same here, but no one uses trumpets where I hunt so it works out in my favor!

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
I favor the box call. Deadliest call technique is to call about three yelps. If he answers, shut up and be patience.

Latest posts