Deadliest calls on smart birds

Brad

I like calling turkeys,that's why I hunt them. I also like learning new calls. I don't think there's any magic call but I do feel like when you take so much time learning to run one you can't help but put mote feeling into it when your hunting. I will say the trumpet in the woods just has a distinct sound unlike any other. I will kill one using it this year. Could I kill the same bird with another call? Sure,but its something new and its addictive learning it.

RUNnGUN

I like calling turkeys,that's why I hunt them. I also like learning new calls. I don't think there's any magic call but I do feel like when you take so much time learning to run one you can't help but put mote feeling into it when your hunting. I will say the trumpet in the woods just has a distinct sound unlike any other. I will kill one using it this year. Could I kill the same bird with another call? Sure,but its something new and its addictive learning it.

Could you kill the same bird with a different call?? You never know, I've had turkeys that wouldn't come to anything but a certain call before.

But yes, learning the trumpet has been very entertaining!

JimLandt

I use a couple of wing bones that have saved the day a couple of times. What kind of trumpet? Who made it that is?

RUNnGUN

Gobbler's ghost custom calls, no website or anything. Been making for about 6 years but just started trumpet this year because I love them so much. My dad can't call on one to save his life!

RUNnGUN

haha I knew that was coming, yeah I can but I honestly have no clue on how to do it..

MKW

If you have one on your computer, you can just use the "manage attachments" button under the reply window.

Mike

RUNnGUN

Ok, Let me take one real quick and I'll email it to myself and try and put it up for ya

RUNnGUN

here ya go, we've made 4 and this is 2 of them. They even sound like a turkey!

Attachments

• trumpet 1.jpg
    trumpet 1.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 93
  • trumpet 2.jpg
    trumpet 2.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 92

M Sharpe

I would have to say that 99% of the time if a bird won't gobble to a pot, box, mouth etc.. He will gobble to a wingbone or trumpet.. What do ya'll think?

This is good to know. I'll have to leave my homemade wingbone and MKW trumpet at home most of the time. I don't want to limit out this early in the season.

There are days birds won't gobble even if you have a live hen in your vest!!

RUNnGUN

Those look pretty good.

Mike

Thanks, It's definitely a work in progress. These were the 1st 2 we made. I've got a few things I want to try and some different wood as well.