decreasing turkey load effectiveness

hawglips

Banned
All this talk in recent months about decreasing pattern density and effectiveness in turkey loads is reversing a long term trend, and is quite interesting.

Since the beginning of modern spring gobbler hunting, the goal of ammo manufacturers and turkey choke manufacturers has been to come up with better turkey loads and chokes to give you a denser pattern of better penetrating shot at extended ranges.

The serious old timer hunters used to shoot anything from 7-1/2s to 2s, and didn't have a whole lot of options. If we are to believe the accounts of folks like Charlie Elliott, they used to do things like try 50 yd shots with #2s and full chokes, and didn't hesitate shooting at flying birds. Anything smaller than a 12 gauge was not a turkey gun, for good reason. Ammo and choke was the limiting factor for them.

The NWTF even started up their still target championships with one of the stated goals being the development of better ammunition and chokes for turkey hunting.

Guys who today shoot #6 or #4 lead, for example, originally chose that load because, at one time, they determined that it was the most effective load to use on turkeys with a particular gun.

But with the 12g/cc hevishot, HD, etc, and now the 15g/cc heavyweight and the 18g/cc shot that has been developed in recent years, those loads that once were determined "best" are now well down towards the back of the pack in terms of pattern integrity, penetration, and overall turkey load effectiveness in any measurable terms. Of course, there is always the sentimental attachment to those older loads and guns etc that is important for some.

But sentimentality aside, there is no serious person that will argue that #6 or #4 lead is the best load available to them today. Yet folks are proposing those kinds of patterns as being ideal, in recent months.

That brings us to discussions like this which will continue, I'm sure.

Originally Posted by hawglips:
#6 in 18g/cc shot???? For turkeys???

Yep, for turkeys...imagine that

I don't think anyone who is familiar with TSS would advise shot that large for turkeys, unless state laws prohibit anything smaller.

It would be like shooting lead BBs in terms of penetration, though you'd have a lot more pellets in the pattern. It might make a good body shooting load.

But it would be about like driving a Ferrari, and having a governor installed to keep you from going over 45 mph. It'll get you where you want to go, but is quite a waste.

Originally Posted by hawglips:
That would be a good coyote load.

Are you saying that 125 hits in a 10" circle at 40yrds is not enough for turkeys??

Mike

I'm saying that #9 TSS is more than enough for turkeys.

But if one is seeking to handicap themselves with their turkey loads by limiting their 10" circle hits at 40 yds, there are a lot of ways to do it.

One way to handicap down to that 10" count would be, instead of shooting a hard kicking 12 ga. 2 oz. load of lead #4s, one could shoot a 3/4 oz. load (in whatever gauge) of TSS 9s to achieve the same result.

For example, here's my 3/4 oz. .410 load pattern at 40 yds. I think this is about what you are looking for in the 100 - 125 hit range, and you could tote a lighter gun and would have very shooter friendly recoil that even a little kid could handle with no problem.

pattern4105-30-09.jpg

It would be difficult to get this kind of 3/4 oz. 40 yd pattern with adequate penetration, with something besides TSS.

Another way to handicap yourself down to 100-125 hits in the 10" circle at 40 yds would be to open up your choke.

The ONLY reason for turkey chokes is to increase pattern density and thus maximize the range of the ammo. That's why they were/are developed. No other reason. Just range. So, why bother with a lot of choke if one wants to limit the ammo and range?

You could shoot a skeet or cylinder choke with a TSS load, and have a 3 to 4 foot killing pattern at 40 yds. That might be one way to eliminate those misses close in we read about every year, while still giving you "good enough" at 40 yds. And that would be very difficult to do with something besides TSS.

And as I've pointed out, with TSS, you can have your cake and eat it to with the range thing. (refer back to my "CM" load comments.) That would be much more difficult with less dense shot.

hawglips

Banned
Hal, if you could, in another thread, please state the benefits of TSS at ranges 40yds and in.

Refer to post #68 in the tom vs hen thread, and the above post in this one.

MKW

Hal,
I'll tell you the same thing that I tell telemarketers that call the house...NOT INTERESTED!! :banginghe

Mike

'Lips, my statements regarding lead were that I have no problem killing birds with lead as long as they are 40yds and in. I have no reason not to believe you stay within those yardage ranges however I suspect the main appeal to others is the possibilty of taking birds at 50, 60yds and out. I can't remeber where you posted it but I remeber reading that there were some confirmed very long range kills, somewhere in the 70-80yd range if I remeber correctly. At those ranges one might as well be using a rifle.

hawglips

Banned
Hal,
I'll tell you the same thing that I tell telemarketers that call the house...NOT INTERESTED!! :banginghe

Mike

You ask me questions, I answer those questions you asked of me, and then you pretend you didn't solicit the response from me?

That's more than a little :crazy:

hawglips

Banned
'Lips, my statements regarding lead were that I have no problem killing birds with lead as long as they are 40yds and in. I have no reason not to believe you stay within those yardage ranges however I suspect the main appeal to others is the possibilty of taking birds at 50, 60yds and out. I can't remeber where you posted it but I remeber reading that there were some confirmed very long range kills, somewhere in the 70-80yd range if I remeber correctly. At those ranges one might as well be using a rifle.

I think I should try to clarify one thing here.

I DON'T CARE AT ALL what anybody thinks about how far I choose to kill a turkey. I seek NO ONE'S approval about how I hunt, what I shoot, what gun I tote, what calls I use, what socks I have on in the woods, whether I shave before the hunt, or anything else. I hope that is clear. I hunt turkeys for the rush that only turkey hunting gives me -- not your's or anyone else's approval.

Since developing the loads I currently shoot, I don't limit my shots to the 40 yd arbitrary, magic line out of any concern for what internet turkey whisperers might think. It's just my style that seems to drive that. It's how I was taught to hunt, and it's how I prefer to do it. I don't like to hunt fields, I don't like decoys, blinds, etc. I like to be in the woods, and don't mind thick woods. I try to set up so that the turkey comes looking for me, and once he's to where he can see me, and I him, he's in range. It's about hunting style, not some silly 40 yd limitation that means absolutely nothing other than the gun/ammo limitations that established it back in the day.

If I find myself in a situation where I have a 60 yd shot one day, I won't worry AT ALL about taking it if I feel like doing so. My gun/ammo set up is more than adequate to the task (unless I'm toting the .410 that day, and then I'll be back to an actual 40 yd limitation). And I will enjoy the hunt every bit as much as I did with the one that ended up in me taking the under 40 yd shot.

I turkey hunt because it's really fun to locate, set up, call in, and shoot a gobbler. Whether killing one at 40 yds or 41 yds or 50 yds -- it's still just as fun.

MKW

I'm not interested in hearing anything about how I should be shooting #9s at turkeys. I look for 125-150 hits consistantly in the 10" circle at 40yrds. As I said before, I want to achieve that with the BIGGEST shot size possible. My set-up at the moment has me completely satisfied.

Mike

nhancedsvt

Banned
I don't have a dog in this fight...anymore, but I'm going to give my opinion on the matter.

I wounded a bird last year with #9 TSS. Had it not been for the #5 Hevishot that I loaded behind it "just in case" that bird would not have had a humane death.

I couldn't figure it out. I loaded the shells to Hal's specs, shot them at paper at different ranges, and was more than pleased with the pattern of the shells. I had great numbers and an even pattern throughout from 20-40 yds. I thought I had found the ultimate hunting load.

My first opportunity at a bird with the shot was a bird that came out at 30 yds. There were no obstructions in my way and I had a clear shot. I squeezed the trigger and the bird hit the ground. I hit the bird solidly, but when I stood up to go claim my trophy, the bird got up and took off running full speed. I unloaded a Hevi 5 on it and dropped it in its tracks.

I came on here looking for answers and there was a variety of reasons why the TSS didn't work... my choke was too tight (even though it patterned fine), the load was wrong (even though it was loaded to the exact specs I was given), and a variety of other reasons. My point is, it seems like TSS was the best thing going until I actually had to use it. I'm not doubting that some are having great success with it but from my experience it's not adequate. I'm currently shooting Hevi 6s which is plenty out of my gun for any bird I encounter and I've been pleased so far. I've sold all of my reloading equipment and will continue using this until I find something better.

Shoot what you want, but I thought another side of the story should be told from someone with experience. This isn't a bashing post, just my experience. Take it for what it's worth...

hawglips

Banned
I'm not interested in hearing anything about how I should be shooting #9s at turkeys. I look for 125-150 hits consistantly in the 10" circle at 40yrds. As I said before, I want to achieve that with the BIGGEST shot size possible. My set-up at the moment has me completely satisfied.

Mike

No one is saying you should be doing anything, so please, quit pretending they are. You should expect your questions to get answered, and your statements to be responded to if someone cares about the subject you're speaking or asking about.

Forgive me for pointing this out, but if you seriously wanted to limit yourself to 125 hits in the 10" circle at 40 yds with the "biggest" shot possible, you wouldn't be shooting what you are shooting and what you shot before that. You're saying, "do as I say and not as I do." So, it's hard for me to take your words seriously here.

It seems like up until TSS came along and you no longer had the best 10" 40 yd 20 gauge pattern around, you were THE number one proponent of the highest 10" circle count as possible. Now, you're suddenly a proponent of large pellets and patterns with lots more empty space in them. It is curious to see such a 180 degree reversal in philosophy in so short a time.

I don't have a dog in this fight...anymore, but I'm going to give my opinion on the matter.

I wounded a bird last year with #9 TSS. Had it not been for the #5 Hevishot that I loaded behind it "just in case" that bird would not have had a humane death.

I couldn't figure it out. I loaded the shells to Hal's specs, shot them at paper at different ranges, and was more than pleased with the pattern of the shells. I had great numbers and an even pattern throughout from 20-40 yds. I thought I had found the ultimate hunting load.

My first opportunity at a bird with the shot was a bird that came out at 30 yds. There were no obstructions in my way and I had a clear shot. I squeezed the trigger and the bird hit the ground. I hit the bird solidly, but when I stood up to go claim my trophy, the bird got up and took off running full speed. I unloaded a Hevi 5 on it and dropped it in its tracks.

I came on here looking for answers and there was a variety of reasons why the TSS didn't work... my choke was too tight (even though it patterned fine), the load was wrong (even though it was loaded to the exact specs I was given), and a variety of other reasons. My point is, it seems like TSS was the best thing going until I actually had to use it. I'm not doubting that some are having great success with it but from my experience it's not adequate. I'm currently shooting Hevi 6s which is plenty out of my gun for any bird I encounter and I've been pleased so far. I've sold all of my reloading equipment and will continue using this until I find something better.

Shoot what you want, but I thought another side of the story should be told from someone with experience. This isn't a bashing post, just my experience. Take it for what it's worth...

Heck at that range I'm sure they had you believing you could mow through a century old oak and still kill that turkey. I'm not suprised they defered the blame for failure to you. I can't imagine stories such as yours are good for business.

MKW

As I told you before, I have grown out of the desire to put a bunch of tiny holes in paper. There is no point to it. I just want to kill turkeys. I don't know how I can put it in any simpler terms so you can understand it.
What I shoot now(Federal Hvyweight #7s) does everything that I want it to do. I quit shooting Nitros because they are not true to size and a lot of the shot is WAY smaller than #7, same with Hevi13s. I like that the Federals are uniform in size. I get denser patterns with both Nitros and Hevi13s, but I choose Federals for this reason. And they are consistantly in the 140s. These are the only 3 turkey loads that I have found that will do what I need, but I prefer the Federals. Since EnvironMetal screwed up the original Hevi13 #6 load, I haven't found a turkey load in #6 That will consistantly stay above 125.

I'm pretty sure that we are both waisting our time with this discussion. I believe our heads are of the same density.

Mike

hawglips

Banned
As I told you before, I have grown out of the desire to put a bunch of tiny holes in paper. There is no point to it. I just want to kill turkeys. I don't know how I can put it in any simpler terms so you can understand it.
What I shoot now(Federal Hvyweight #7s) does everything that I want it to do. I quit shooting Nitros because they are not true to size and a lot of the shot is WAY smaller than #7, same with Hevi13s. I like that the Federals are uniform in size. I get denser patterns with both Nitros and Hevi13s, but I choose Federals for this reason. And they are consistantly in the 140s. These are the only 3 turkey loads that I have found that will do what I need, but I prefer the Federals. Since EnvironMetal screwed up the original Hevi13 #6 load, I haven't found a turkey load in #6 That will consistantly stay above 125.

I'm pretty sure that we are both waisting our time with this discussion. I believe our heads are of the same density.

Mike

As I've said on here many times, all holes in paper are not equal. A 12g/cc Nitro #7 (actually there is no such thing, they are 7-1/2s, ranging down to size 9 shot) is not NEAR as effective a pellet as the 15g/cc Federal heavyweight #7. And much farther from a 18g/cc #7. And it's not about paper -- it's about what's happening out there with what you shooting. And there is no better way to determine the pattern than with the paper. And that's why I spent so much time and effort testing the penetration of the various pellets, in addition to the paper. Because all holes are not equal.

Your Federal heavyweight #7 is a much better penetrating pellet than Hevi-13 #6s, plus you get a lot more pellets in the shell also. So, you're kicking some serious Hevi-13 #6 butt with that load.

That's probably what I'd be shooting in 20 ga. if I couldn't load up the 18g/cc shot. But I'd prefer those 15g/cc pellets in #8 as that would be a better turkey shell.

Gaswamp

Hal is 100 in a ten inch circle adequate?

hawglips

Banned

Steve, NO WAY on God's green earth did you hit the bird solidly at 30 yds, or 60 yds, with that load and he would get up.

No way would you hit a coyote solidly with that load at 30 yds, and he would get up.

Sorry. You didn't hit the bird solidly. That I know. You hit the bird solidly with that shell, and he won't flop at 30 yds. You hit the bird solidly with that shell at 60 yds, and he's not going anywhere.

Steve, prior to this bird, how many turkeys had you "hit solidly" with any shotgun shell? How many had you seen killed at any range, with any shell, prior to this bird you "hit solidly" at 30 yds with a load that has killed three times that distance?

I came on here looking for answers and there was a variety of reasons why the TSS didn't work... my choke was too tight (even though it patterned fine), the load was wrong (even though it was loaded to the exact specs I was given), and a variety of other reasons. My point is, it seems like TSS was the best thing going until I actually had to use it. I'm not doubting that some are having great success with it but from my experience it's not adequate.

"Not adequate"???

:rofl:

It's "not adequate" for you at 30 yds, but it's adequate for other guys at 20 yds, 30 yds, 40 yds, 50 yds, 60 yds, 75 yds and 90 yds.??

How does one explain that?

The explanation is simple. Operator error. Rookie mistake.

You should have listened about the choke also. And you should have listened when I told you that you were making a big mistake getting rid of your reloading equipment based on this incident.

I'm currently shooting Hevi 6s which is plenty out of my gun for any bird I encounter and I've been pleased so far. I've sold all of my reloading equipment and will continue using this until I find something better.

As I told you at the time, you made a big mistake if you are concerned about shooting something better.

Last edited:

hawglips

Banned
Hal is 100 in a ten inch circle adequate?

It's a pretty good standard for comparisons, but it depends on what you are looking for.

I always count a 20" circle at 40 yds. for hunting patterns.

hawglips

Banned
Heck at that range I'm sure they had you believing you could mow through a century old oak and still kill that turkey. I'm not suprised they defered the blame for failure to you. I can't imagine stories such as yours are good for business.

Mzl, you should have heard Jamie's story about the cat he shot at the year before. That was way better than Steve's "hit solidly" at 30 yds but he got up and ran story.

Hey, does this mean you have settled on arguing that TSS is too weak and not enough range, instead of too strong and too much range that makes folks not want to work but take rifle shots?

Which end of the spectrum are you going to argue from? Is this saying "too weak" is your argument? Is that your final answer? You're just like TC was -- unable to make up the mind about which contradictory stance to take. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

hawglips

Banned
Hal, I think I made it clear why I don't like it.

Well, you made it clear that you don't like it. But you go back and forth from "it's microscopic too small not adequate bounces off" to "it's too strong long range makes people want to shoot 100 yds".

fRAnNKly, I have no idea which, if either, of the above positions is the one you are sincere about.

nhancedsvt

Banned
Mzl, you should have heard Jamie's story about the cat he shot at the year before. That was way better than Steve's "hit solidly" at 30 yds but he got up and ran story.

Hey, does this mean you have settled on arguing that TSS is too weak and not enough range, instead of too strong and too much range that makes folks not want to work but take rifle shots?

Which end of the spectrum are you going to argue from? Is this saying "too weak" is your argument? Is that your final answer? You're just like TC was -- unable to make up the mind about which contradictory stance to take. :rolleyes:

Not exactly sure what that means Hal. I assume that if a turkey hits the ground and starts flopping that they're "hit solidly."
I halfway expected the bashing, that's why I discussed this with you through PMs and never brought it up until now Hal. Just like when Jamie posted his experiences with it, you and others refuse to believe that TSS is not God's greatest gift to turkey hunting. It is not the end all, be all when it comes to ammo. I agree that its patterns are impressive but don't act so surprised when people have negative experiences with it. I wonder how many others have tried it with similar results... but I guess we'll never find that out.