Deer Hunting 101...Questions and Answers

DixieDeluxe

Im sure this has been answered but please dont hate me for not reading through 8 full pages.

As an avid hunter you would think Im used to calling, NO. Question:For a beginner with almost no calling experience except for rattling, what would you suggest for a person like me during the rut?
Type of call and even brand/model?

Thanks!

3pits

I am 42 and have never shot a deer, I have only recently gone hog and coyote hunting, but we have about 50 acres and supposidly lots of deer, I have seen 3-4 good rubs and one guy I let hunt here saw 12 does last Saturday morning. He found a place where a buck is kicking up almost baseball sized clumps of dirt and grass on the edge of one of our fields directly across from 2 trees that have been roughed up, about 200yds. what are some traditions when you take your first deer?, do you keep any special part (assuming it is not a good sized rack) drink blood, eat heart....

how do you determine the age of a buck or doe?, and how do you score a buck?

what is the best shot to take so as not to damage the meat, heart lung or neck shot? do you get any meat off of the neck? I am using either a 308 or 270.

can you move more if sitting in a tree stand or do deer look up?

DixieDeluxe

First Blood! When I killed mine, they smeared the blood on my cheeks. Some poeple eat the heart I have heard, not sure.

As far as age I usually go on size, but thats just me.

Stay still in a stand. About the only times I think I am somehwat ok to move around is when I am in a box and they cant see my lower body. Stay quiet, still and down wind.
More will chime in here soon enough.

Bradley_G

wow, great thread. Took me two days to read through it, finally finished.

Seems like there was little information returned on calls, when and what type to use, anyone have some advice to share on that aspect?

Also, how about the rattle "bags" vs. the actual "horns"? does the bag work just as well? it seems much smaller to carry in and out.

rex upshaw

Im sure this has been answered but please dont hate me for not reading through 8 full pages.

As an avid hunter you would think Im used to calling, NO. Question:For a beginner with almost no calling experience except for rattling, what would you suggest for a person like me during the rut?

Thanks!

i'd do some grunting and add some rattling every now and again. get an adjustable grunt call that can make mature grunts, as well as younger grunts. mix it up and one sequence use a young grunt and next time try the mature grunt. don't over do it. as for brands, i have an hs true talker that sounds good. flextone makes one that is easy to use as well and i just tried a knight and hale translator, that really sounded good.

bbettis

Hey everyone. Im 40 and I just killed my second deer in my life. First one when I was 16. Still dont know alot about it. What are the basics when it comes to hunting from the ground? I have access to some land to hunt. A lot of acorns and hardwoods. I found a trail at the bottom of the ridge and I have seen several deer on that trail but I cant seem to see them before they see or smell me. Any ideas on the best place to set up and any other advice would be greatfull!

rex upshaw

Hey everyone. Im 40 and I just killed my second deer in my life. First one when I was 16. Still dont know alot about it. What are the basics when it comes to hunting from the ground? I have access to some land to hunt. A lot of acorns and hardwoods. I found a trail at the bottom of the ridge and I have seen several deer on that trail but I cant seem to see them before they see or smell me. Any ideas on the best place to set up and any other advice would be greatfull!

set up above the trail and get against a large tree. cut down some brush and surround yourself with it, front, sides and back. make sure that you have some shooting lanes in all directions and make sure to get rid of all leaves where you will be sitting. play the wind and try to be as scent free as possible. you might have some swirling winds, that could aid in you getting scented, so be mindful of that. set up against a tree on the ground, or use an innertube or a seat.

bbettis

I also have a stand overlooking 3 food plots. That is where I got my doe the other day. I have been only able to hunt in the mornings there. Some co workers of mine have said that it is better to hunt plots in the evening, is this true?

bbrock1415

I have a question Is it illegal to hunt under powerlines??

Slug-Gunner

Hunting Power Lines = "Tricky Question"

I have a question Is it illegal to hunt under powerlines??

This is somewhat of a "Trick Question" in Georgia.

It kind of depends on WHO owns the property that the 'power line' passes through. If the 'power line' company has purchased an 'easement' from the property owner, the property owner can still use the property - for hunting, but CANNOT BUILD ANY STRUCTURES ON IT or make it impassable for utility vehicles to service the 'power line' equipment.

In some cases, the 'power line' utility company OWNS THE LAND IT RUNS ACROSS, and you must have WRITTEN PERMISSION TO USE THE PROPERTY FOR HUNTING. Many utilities DON'T GIVE PERMISSION (to non-employees) due to liability issues and not wanting their equipment damaged by 'stray bullets'.

In any case under Georgia Law, you CANNOT HUNT on property YOU OR YOUR FAMILY DO NOT OWN, unless you have WRITTEN PERMISSION ON YOUR PERSON WHILE HUNTING. Unfortunately, it seems that trespassers and poachers either DON'T CARE or CAN'T READ.

DixieDeluxe

I also have a stand overlooking 3 food plots. That is where I got my doe the other day. I have been only able to hunt in the mornings there. Some co workers of mine have said that it is better to hunt plots in the evening, is this true?

I dont know for sure (Im sure people here do) but I, personally, have had the best luck with food plots in the evening. I have hunted green firelds in the morning but havnt in a while because I dont have much luck with them.

mollman

i need a gun

i am looking for a gun to use to kill deer that is light weight, small and does not have to much recoil, and is semi auto. i know it is specific, any suggestions:shoot:

hoochfisher

Banned
does anyone know of any public land close to athens where i could go in any time of year and study deer and animal patterns and actions?

i'm thinking of just putting on the camo, using a cover scent, and finding a place to just sit and watch. no gun, no camera, nothing.

the 2010 season will be my first year of deer hunting, and i had the thought that doing something like that a few times this spring would help me become more succesfull in hunting and just gaining a better understanding of deer behavior in general.

is it even legal to do this on public land?

thanks,
hoochfisher

jimmy.444

Thanks!

my son killed a nice 10 pointer 2 years ago on a food plot in bleckley county. he was using "THE CAN". The one you put your thumb over the hole and turn it up. He was doing that about every 20 minutes from 430 pm and this deer stepped out at about 550 into the food plot 75yards away. He shot the deer the first week of december . He was using the smallest can they make.

coondog96

Thanks for the advice. I thought about setting up a blind but I'm not sure if it is the right time to do that.

in my opinion blinds are always good no certain time when or when not to use one but be mindful of the wind direction that is the whole key whether on the ground or in a stand.

Buck Nasty

i am looking for a gun to use to kill deer that is light weight, small and does not have to much recoil, and is semi auto. i know it is specific, any suggestions:shoot:

Semiauto's will limit your search since only a few make them. Browning and Remington are the only two that I know of, and both make em in .243 and .308 which are at the lower end on recoil.

I'm 17 and i'm huntin the extended bow season in forsyth county, i got permision to hunt back in the woods near a neighborhood so heres were i need help.....

My stand is set up under 3 huge acorn trees, and a bunch of scrapes from the rut, i cleared out a bunch of brush right next to one of the trees and a scrape, last week i saw a pretty 10 point about 30 yards out and i screwed up took the shot and missed right over his back as he ducked, he ran off then stopped ate at the other acorn and i hadn seen him since, i hunted mornin and night this whole weekend and didn see him, only doe and a 4 point, it snowed and i looked around for his tracks and didn see any one, my question is will he be back? What should i do? should i move my stand, or scout for him? The weather is suposed to reach the 50's next weekend, will that help?

Thanks