Deer Stories: What is the "dumbest" thing you have ever seen a deer do?

RamblinWreck88

Useles Billy ain’t got nothing on ME !
We as hunters certainly respect the game we chase, often remarking how "smart" the deer are. And perhaps some of this is due to an overestimation of our own intellect, which we have supposedly pitted against that of the deer, or maybe it's how some of us deal with sitting half of the season without seeing anything...

In any case, we also likely all have a story about nearly hitting a "stupid deer" on the highway, and some even have stories about stomping around in the woods and just happening upon their personal best buck.

I know some of y'all have got some good stories, so let's hear 'em... What are some of the "dumbest" things y'all have seen deer do?

RamblinWreck88

Useles Billy ain’t got nothing on ME !
I'll start with the first one off the top of my head: First buck I ever killed was killed because after all the noise I made banging around a raggedy office chair in a box stand as I tried to turn around, he came back out of the thick cover and looked right at me.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I spit bakker juice on one's back one time, and it turned around and licked it off. Then went back to eating akerns.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I couldn't tell you how many times I've shot a deer, and a few seconds later, three more come running up looking around to see what that noise was?

buckpasser

I saw a big mature buck get out of his bed and walk into archery range where my daughter smashed him with a rifle the other day. He came to my grunt call. Probably the least likely and “dumbest” move I’ve seen a mature buck make. I would have bet you anything he’d have J hooked us down wind, but he didn’t and he’s becoming a shoulder mount.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
My 10 year old shot at his 1st buck and missed. The deer looked away toward the bullet impact behind him and went back to feeding.
My son looked at me and said, "Is that that deer stupid?"

102304.jpg

GeorgiaBob

One spring morning I was driving a county road behind another car when a doe with fawn dashed across the road in front of the car ahead. That driver barely avoided hitting either animal but only because he pulled off the road as he braked. The doe had stopped in the middle of the road and turned around facing the car sitting in the grass. The fawn was on the other side of the road, unhurt.

I was stopped about 50 yards back and was stunned to see the doe charge the first car and head but the driver's side - several times. The doe then staggered unsteadily back to the fawn, who proceeded to suckle for several minutes.

Eventually the two animals left. The driver of the assaulted car got out and looked at his damage (minor). He waved me up just to ask if I saw what happened and then we both drove off. I have absolutely no idea what inspired the doe to attack.

Waddams

My first hunting experience of all time. I'd shot my 2nd doe of the afternoon out of a group of 3 standing in big food plot. The others jumped but didn't run, went back to eating. I walked out with my son to drag her to the stand. The 2 standing just watched us, 30 yards away. The down deer raised its head and starting grunting and trying to drag itself with front legs on the ground. So I put a pistol shot through it's ear. Then we drug it back to the stand to await a buddy's truck for pick up. All the while, those 2 and 9 or 10 more came out and just watched the entire thing.

I wonder how many I could have put down before they got the idea they should leave. Never seen anything like it since.

Edit - just reread - to clarify 1st doe shot was a few hours before out of another group in another direction. The 2nd doe shot described above was the single deer taken out of that group 3 that were out in front of us. Initially I was hesitant to shoot a 2nd but my son was urging me (Daddy, shoot another one!) and I figured when would I get the chance to do hunt again? This was circa 2015. I didn't start seriously trying to learn to hunt for real until 2-3 years later.

Last edited:

dang

DANG !!!
I climbed about 8 or 9ft high in a tiny tree and shot a buck. About 5 min later here comes what has got to be the dumbest deer I’ve ever seen. I have about 5 minutes of video of him circling that buck looking at it trying to figure out what’s goin on. It was pretty funny, and I wasn’t hid well at all. There were a few times where I could have cut my tether rope and fell on his back.630B910D-4714-4110-A2D8-27D03E3B6977.jpeg67B587E2-9037-491F-A048-446FF48700B8.jpegB7E0DFCF-2D06-4DBB-A960-5D0528CE9AC8.jpeg

Mars

Not sure if it was stupid but it sure was funny. I was driving home one evening and a doe was standing on the side of the road. When she saw me coming, she turned to run and ran right into somebody's mailbox. By far the funniest thing I've seen a deer do.

diamondback

I was headed to a local wma a few years back about 930 in the morning. A group of deer crossed in front of me. I slowed down in case there was another. I look over and saw one kicking on the ground in the edge of the right of way. Apparently this button buck hit the fence and broke his neck. I grabbed him and headed home.

Waddams

I climbed about 8 or 9ft high in a tiny tree and shot a buck. About 5 min later here comes what has got to be the dumbest deer I’ve ever seen. I have about 5 minutes of video of him circling that buck looking at it trying to figure out what’s goin on. It was pretty funny, and I wasn’t hid well at all. There were a few times where I could have cut my tether rope and fell on his back.View attachment 1193882View attachment 1193883View attachment 1193884

He was like "hey donnie, what's wrong? why are you just laid up like that?"