Deer Stories: What is the "dumbest" thing you have ever seen a deer do?

jmac7469

So I wouldnt call it dumb but definitely the most clumsy thing ive ever seen. Sittting in a river bottom with a main trail that runs down the side of the river. Its a fairly steep drop off 10-12 feet. Im watching a young 6 point eat acorns and just kind of hang out. He starts on the trail down the bank. About 60 yards from the stand he looks up while walking and legit walks off the drop and falls about 10 feet into the river, the deer panics starts thrashing about then starts to swim, he swims to a lower bank section were he gets out and promptly runs right to the closest brush and beds down. To this day the funniest thing ive seen happen involving a deer.

greg j

Had a friend in our club who was a heavy heavy smoker. He was in a blind about 200 yrds from camp and we could hear him hacking and coughing so loud . Then, we heard a shot and he starting whooping and hollering. He had just shot a 10 pointer ....guess all the coughing and hacking brought him in. Dumb Deer.

Gator89

Sitting at my camp last night about 8 pm waiting for the charcoal to burn out while my wife showered, a buck walked by at 15 steps. Little feller acted like he owned the place. I hope comes back in the daylight in a couple years.

Last edited:
Me and my dad were driving down a dirt road back in the early 80’s. Deer ran outta the woods seen us and started running down The ditch reckon he couldn’t out run the ole station wagon and figured it would just try and jump over the top of it.. smashed right into the top of it tumbled flipped over and got up and ran in the woods.. pretty toopid

dixiecutter

Eye Devour ReeB
I had a little buck jump out in the field in front of me while I was walking in. He ran a giant half circle around me in the field, stopped 30 feet from the back if my truck, leaving me no choice

nc dawg

My wife and me was running a wood splitter,as I was putting another block on i looked up and two lil spotted fawns was running right at us and stopped about twenty feet away and just stood there and looked at us. They watched us for about 2 or 3 minutes,then went back the way they come.
Crazy

spencer12

Saw three deer about to cross the road in front of me on the highway. A doe with a doe fawn and button buck fawn. I came to a complete stop. The doe and doe fawn make two beautiful bounds and crossed the highway. The button buck? He runs square into the center of my drivers side door.

Spun a complete 360, slipped on the pavement, finally got his bearings and chased after momma. It was pretty humorous to me. Poor fella.

Havana Dude

Rode a 4- wheeler right up to a spike one time. He just stood there in the edge of the woods, and at one point walked almost within reach. After a bit, he just wondered off.

Bkeepr

driving down the road and they smack into the side of the moving vehicle!

Buckshot

I saw a deer one night running full speed ahead and it ran right into a speed limit sign post. It was the craziest thing. The deer flipped over end over end and the sign was bent alittle and left shaking. Another time my old pal JR (German sheperd) and I was walking through some woods late season bottle hunting. I heard him way down in the bottom barking like crazy. He only barked like that if there was something that really bothered him like an armadillo in a hole or something like that. So I went to investigate and there he was and there they were. It was two bucks tied together at the horns by some orange silt fence. I guess one had gotten some silt fence wrapped up in its horns and started fighting another and got all tangled up. Any way one was trying to run one way the other the other way and JR right in the middle of them going for their necks. I don't see how one of the deer didn't get a broke neck. They would wrap around trees one would be dragging the other and Jr wasnt budging. I didn't have a knife ,gun,or anything on me. So I headed for the truck to get something and by the time I got to the truck and was half way back to where they were Jr met me. We went back down there and they were gone. I guess they got untied. I'll never forget that. Nor will I ever forget Jr. RIP.

Jim Boyd

Deer are pretty dumb in general.

They do the very same things - over and over and over again - that get about 1/3 of them killed every year.

They are so predictable that they are predictably killed.

Reactive as all get out but not very smart.

Latest posts