Determining trailer hub???

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
Is there anyway to determine what kind of trailer hub ( tracker boat trailer)I need without taking the wheel and hub off and apart to get at the bearings serial numbers?

I am wanting to buy a spare and there isn't a part number on the hub anywhere and I am not wanting to tear it all the way down right now.

Last edited:

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
As long as the bearings fit the axle size, and the bearings fit the hub correctly, it ain't gotta be exactly the same one...

I ran some that were slightly different for years...

But I would think you could just order a perfect match from Tracker/BPS.

I also bet any ol boat place could just hand you a complete set up that will work fine.

ribber

Is there anyway to determine what kind of trailer hub ( tracker boat trailer)I need without taking the wheel and hub off and apart to get at the bearings serial numbers?

I am wanting to buy a spare and there isn't a part number on the hub anywhere and I am not wanting to tear it all the way down right now.

I wanted to do the same thing a couple of years ago. I have a Shorelander trailer and I found the spindle dimensions on their website by entering my trailer ID. I bought the assembled hub kit from Academy and keep in my truck.

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
Called BPS and found out the current hubs (Super Lubes) have been discontinued... The boat is only 9 years old.

Anyway, BPS is ordering me a hub. Should be here next week.

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
Jacked the tralier up today and checked the hubs, no excessive movement or loud noises while spinning the tires, so the 9 year old hubs are still good. Hit it with some fresh Quicksilver 2-4-C (was using Quicksilver Extreme).

Headed to the lake next week feeling better about the hubs.

GTMODawg

BANNED
For others it is usually possible, if the bearings ain't exploded, to get the size off the bearing itself and that will correspond with the right shaft and seal. All that is needed then is the lug nut number and pattern. Bunch of info on the googlenets about lug nut numbers and patterns but if it ain't a 5 lug all you will need unless it is pretty old is the number of studs. If it is a 5 lug hub there are about 6 patterns it could be and again google has loads of info for determining the right one. If that ain't an option a cheap micrometer and some youtube will give you what you need. Alternatively a good auto parts store should be able to do this if you ain't comfortable with it. Make a note of the size and it will be the same if needed again. If you can get the info yourself its far cheaper online than a marine dealership and an auto parts store is also cheaper than a marine dealership. I do everything I can from buying anything at a marina or a RV dealership because they are usually twice what an auto parts store is for the same item and even worse than buying online.

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
Its a 5 lug 5x4.5 hole pattern 2200lb trailer.

The hubs are good (jacked them up checked for wobble and noise while spinning, regreased as I do every year). I could break it down and measure the spindle (and determine if it is a straight or tapered) but after 28 years in maintenance I have learned if its running good, don't take it apart just for fun.

I guess the spindle issue is the biggest thing as far I can determine it might be a 1 1/16 straight or 1 3/8-1 1/16 tapered.

All this to just get a spare hub for "just in case". Every part I replace at work has a serial # and or part # on it that is easy to find...hub manufacturers gotta be difficult.

Latest posts