DLST

Toliver

Ha! You 20th century cavemen still have clocks that require manual changing? Technology takes care of all that for us now.

::gone:

oldfella1962

On the subject, "they" claim that the reason behind DLST was because of some advantage to farmers. Let me stop "them" right there:
the entire PLANET has farmers. So why don't the other farmers in the rest of the world employ DLST? :unsure: Why just the farmers in America?

Toliver

On the subject, "they" claim that the reason behind DLST was because of some advantage to farmers. Let me stop "them" right there:
the entire PLANET has farmers. So why don't the other farmers in the rest of the world employ DLST? :unsure: Why just the farmers in America?
You, sir, need to stop thinking logically.

oldfella1962

You, sir, need to stop thinking logically.
And somehow - DLST being an American thing and all - it's RACIST! :stir:
I mean, isn't everything in America racist? :unsure:

Redbow

To each his own but I prefer EST and always will.

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
Which industries lobby for DLST?
Golf
Picnic
Are two of the largest who initially lobbied for it but all retail actually benefits as people tend to run errands when it is light outside.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
To each his own but I prefer EST and always will.
Not me. I hate when it's pitch black dark at 5:30 in the winter. It's always dark when I get up and leave in the morning, no matter what the time scheme is. It's nice to come home in the daylight, at least.

Redbow

Not me. I hate when it's pitch black dark at 5:30 in the winter. It's always dark when I get up and leave in the morning, no matter what the time scheme is. It's nice to come home in the daylight, at least.
Yep, different strokes for different folks.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member

Farmers don`t work by a clock. They work by the seasons.

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
I never went to school in the dark as a kid. Never rode a school bus either. It still baffles me when I see these school buses picking up kids in the pitch black dark.

Stonewall 2

I believe the farmer angle to DLST was so there would be more daylight when the kids got out of school during planting and harvest seasons.

oldfella1962

Farmers don`t work by a clock. They work by the seasons.
I was BAMBOOZLED! I bought into the Ben Franklin hype when I was younger, and never did my own research. :mad:

Benjamin Franklin, the Father of DST?​

Many sources also credit Benjamin Franklin for being the first to suggest seasonal time change. However, the idea voiced by the American inventor and politician in 1784 can hardly be described as fundamental for the development of modern DST. After all, it did not even involve turning the clocks. In a letter to the editor of the Journal of Paris, entitled “An Economical Project for Diminishing the Cost of Light,” Franklin simply suggested that Parisians could economize candle usage by getting people out of bed earlier in the morning. What's more: Franklin meant it as a joke.