Do I really know what Jesus is like?

Hunting Teacher

I was at my brother in law's church in Snellville this weekend and his pastor who had just come back from the Middle East had a "talk" with us, it wasn't really a sermon, that slapped me up side my head spiritually.
Do I really know Jesus? I don't mean do I love him and is he my savior. There is no question about that.
But do I know him? Do I really know and care what Jesus loves, what he detests?
If Jesus lived across the road from me would we have very much in common, would we hang out together? Would Jesus be way too radical for me to want to be with?
Today, 25,000 children will die of starvation. I feel like there's not much I can do about it because they are almost all on the other side of the world. Would that be Jesus reaction?
Just outside of Cairo,Egypt 1,000,000 people, mostly children, live in a giant garbage dump. Most of those children have been sexually abused. Does that knowledge affect me the same way it affects my Lord?
This year, 1.5 million children will be sold into sexual slavery. Should I be able to hear that number and be pretty much unaffected? Is that how Jesus would react to knowing?
What am I doing with my time here on earth? Am I really trying to get to know Jesus? Do I really want to be about his business?
Maybe it's time to spend some serious time in prayer and searching scripture. I think it's time that Jesus and I become a whole lot more alike. And we know which one of us needs to change!
Teach

Dana Young

Teach,
You are right we think we are about the fathers business and doing everything we can for GOD then we hear about this and that and think we don't want to get involved or theres nothing I can do about it. If we can do nothing else but pray and we don't then I think we are guilty of not being Christ like. I am including my self here. Remember when the diciples couldn't cast out the demons from a person and Jesus did and they asked him how he did it he said these kind only are cast out by prayer and fasting.(not exact quote).there are some things we can't physically change but remember prayer changes things.
GOD bless
Dana

FESTUSHAGGIN

dana said it all you can do is pray. everyone is guilty of being complacent when it comes to things that dont directly affect us. there are things all over the world that are horrible that you can do absolutely nothing about.. except pray.

PWalls

That whole WWJD thing got out of hand and abused I think by a lot of people, but the message that it asked was still very relevant. Jesus prayed continually.

WTM45

We have been instructed in God's Word not to be anxious or afraid. We should not worry. Is God in control? YES!Jesus slept on the boat while the disciples worried needlessly about the incoming storm. The disciples also worried over having enough food for the 5000. Jesus did not. We know how both situations worked out!
Of course, we do not have the ability to see God's plan, as Jesus did. But there are reassurances in God's Word that tells us to be vigiliant in our own affairs, and to put trust in God for all that is out of our control.
I do agree with more prayer, though. It is great spiritual therapy to cleanse the heart, and to give God thanks and praise!

StriperAddict

God forgive us for not drawing close to you...

in the good times as well as the bad.

::; ::; ::; ::;

gordon 2

I once new a women who thought she had a calling to go from Canada to Calcutta to help the poor, until a girlfriend pointed out to her that Calcutta was here. She meant Montreal. She said just look!

Maybe we personally can't go "out there" and rescue the poor from desperate conditions... But we can contribute to the well being of our own communities, to where from them, others, groups and individuals from our communities will act on our concerns for justice.