Dodge, Telfair, Wheeler counties

Donkeytoe

MBD,
Invite - I don't recall a hunting invite :D - just a place to get away from the loud noise and those musket shooters. Heck - I have barely gotten any hunting in so far this season with working at the camp and running from hurricanes! Kevin went up this morning to bowhunt before those guns start popping. However I have no shame, won't think twice about using the 270 during the rut. Guess I will go the next wo weekends in a row. REALLY ought to be good after Jeanne dumped more rain. May need to mow the plots soon in some deer don't show up and trim them down! Good luck next week i won't be going up until friday. HC when you do make it up there you need to come over to Chauncey and pay us a visit at camp. Don't be a stranger. We tell good lies at our campfire!

horsecreek

sounds great. will get with ya on directions from milan.

Donkeytoe

dodge update

Well, I didn't go this weekend but Kevin did. He saw 2 does on Friday evening, a bobcat under his stand on Saturday evening and three does on Sunday morning. Also said Saturday night had two coyotes right out on the woodpile by camp. No rifle though. We may have to have coyote hunting weekend this year. Think they scared him because he said he went and sat in the truck. :bounce: :bounce:

Looks like the weather will be nice this weekend. It's really wet up there after Jeanne according to Kevin

Mrbowdeadly

I will be going up on Wed. or Thurs. to hunt through the weekend. Hoping since I will have five hundred acres to myself for two days, I might get lucky. Good luck to yall this weekend.

MBD

Bowhunter24

Well im deffinitly ready to hunt this weekend, it will be nice to have the boomstick in my hand this time. It was my meatgetter last year as i killed 3 does with my smokepole. I have about 3 places i have confidence in so i will see how it pans out, hopefully our cameras didnt mess up and we have some decent pics. Hey Cameltoe, i mean donkeytoe :bounce: :bounce: just playing, i remeber u saying something about some 37 acres that had alot of ducks on it, is that the place, and if it is do u think there are any odds we could lease that to duck hunt??? Im heading up fri afternoon and gonna hunt sat thru mon or tues moring depeneds on how the deer are moving. Ill swing by sat see if yall might go to carrs who is coming up on yalls lease, let me know something about the duck place if u get a chance, thanks

Donkeytoe

The property I talked about is about 130 acres. It's a planted field adjacent to a pond which held a good number of ducks two years ago. Don't know what the rain has done to it. I can contact the guy who can put us in touch with the land owner. It is a good piece of deer property as well. Saw a picture that was about 20 years old of a deer shot off that land that was easy 150 class deer with huge drop tine. I need to pay those people a visit anyway - he's a good person to know and very helpful. Maybe we can run by there after Carrs - it's not far.

Looks like this weekend it will be me and Brian again. Next weekend we will have a full house. Am tihnking about taking off an extra day next week but will have to see how the week pans out. Geet that dog rested - it's going to work hard this weekend - I hope

Bowhunter24

That would be cool if we could get in touch with the guy, that is if ur all for it also, i would love to have a place close by our camps to shot at some ducks in dec, and jan in the morings, notcie i said shoot at not kill LOL. After i get done cleaning my 140 class 10 pt sat morning i will swing by see if yall wanna get some lunch, although i dont think carrs is closed for lunch may have to go there for dinner, if theres no deer to be tracked. The fat sausage beagle is ready to track this weekened, so lets go ahead and give her something track, sounds like a plan?? :clap: :clap:

Donkeytoe

I hope that dog needs to sleep the whole way back to Florida. I would love to get her some work over our way. I really want to drop one with the bow this year and would like to do it this weekend. Obviously I hope it's a big one. Who all is going up to your place this weekend? You got the whole crew again? Just stop on by when you get a chance this weekend and we'll go talk to Eddie about that property. He knows lot of people around thereand has 200 acres of good land that they rake straw on. If not it would be really good. We will be up on Friday night late. See ya then. Gotta be a good weekend since went to BPS and got new boots this past weekend. now to test them!

Donkeytoe

PS- oh yeah - got some more thermacell refills as well :D :D :D :D

Did you see the weather forcast for next weekend. Opening gun should be dynamite!

Bowhunter24

I think it will be all of us again, MBD is leaving tomm moring, and me and my grandpa are headin up fri midafternoon sometime, and my uncle and the fawnslayer should be up fri night. I hope we get to bring the dog and help yall out, I will swing by sat around late morn or midday and we can go see that guy, that is if were not trackin deer which i hope we are ::; i have plenty of thermacell refills, i wouldnt even go hunting if i didnt have a thermacell them mosquitos are awfull

horsecreek

going up the 15th, that night after girls softball game- prob wont arrive till 2am but will be up and ready by 4:30!!!!!
most likely stayin till after tues morn hunt. I have no idea how my plots came up ect and tossing up where I will sit opening morn. didnt get much info from other guys next to me on deer movment. think he "holdn back" for some reason as he wont answere that question. ::huh:

Mrbowdeadly

Howdy boys,
HOLY MOLEY were the deer movin on the lease. We saw alot of deer in the stands and alot of deer on the roads. Bowhunter24 blew the dust off of " meatgetter" (thats his smokepole). Got himself a fat doe. 120lbs. Nice double lung shot through a little hole in the brush. I got a punctured radiator helping him get her out. Bad luck is, I didn't realize it until we got back to camp. Now my new four wheeler goes "knock knock knock". Is that covered on warranty? No? Didn't think so.

I passed on a spike and a fork. Had a huge cow boxcar doe come in and mill under the oaks. She just wouldn't get in bow range until pitch black. Guess that if I was hunting with a muzzle loader that I would have a deer, but bowhunters don't have regrets.

Weather was awesome, breezy cool and not too many mosquitos. Got to eat at Carrs a couple of times, that takes the edge off of not getting any deer.

Well hope yall do well and keep us informed. When I get my other computer back I will post some pictures of Travis' doe.

Take care.
MBD

Donkeytoe

Donkeytoe reporting in.....

Just me and brian this weekend. I was bowhunting he was smoking. I sat the donut plot Saturday afternoon (first time) and only saw one deer. But what a deer. To take a page out of Travis' book....About 5 pm this beast walks out about 70 yards away and proceeds to destroy a few trees in front of me (broadside of course since I was hunting with a bow). Hearts pumping, i'm ready. He begins working towards me and the wind is perpendicular to me. Everything is perfect - even had my shot picked out. He gets to about 40 yards and winds me somehow (can't figure it out) and goes away. He was a solid 8 point (maybe 9) with at least an 18 inch spread. Very exciting. Brian saw a spike or 4 point walking to his stand on Sunday morning in the dark. Nothing else. Wish there were more acorn trees around. They haven't really gotten into the foodplots yet but they sure look good. REmind me again why I don't own a muzzleloader???? ::huh: ::huh: If so I would be posting some good pics right now. Am going back next weekend for some more abuse. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Mrbowdeadly

Oh yeah forgot to say....

While helping Travis retrieve his doe, I knocked a hole in my radiator on my bike. Didn't realize it until we got back to camp and it started to knockin....

Oh boy...

MBD

Bowhunter24

Well just got back home, i see MBD posted about my doe, i was very happy about that. Well the bad thing for mew was i missed a nice 8pt at about 40 yds last night, i had to try to shoot threw a tight hole and i think i just got excited and didnt make the shot. I have had not so good luck with the bucks so far this year hopes that changes. Man Karl i think that would be more of an incentive to have a muzzleloader we could lookin at pics of him now, well thats gotta be exciting to see a good one though. Our plots are doing ok, deer are on them a lil bit, not much they seem to be in the oaks now thats where i shot my doe, and before she came along i seen a 8pt a 4pt and 2 other does feeding on acorns but couldnt get a shot, so it was an exciting weekend saw 11 deer total, andf brought some meat home so cant complain, just wish i would have got that 8pt last night. We are not going back up till the foloowing weekend, prolly gonna leave on a wed early afternoon, thats my plan so far. Maybe by then i will have a smokepole or a rifle in MBD hands :bounce:

Donkeytoe

Well I am going up again this weekend as well as three others on our lease so should be a good weekend. Weather looks great! After last weekend I must be crazy to be going up on Thursday so I can try the old bow one more time before the booms start, but I am a glutton for punishment :bounce: :bounce: . Hope to see the tree killer again this weekend and punish him for the damage he has done to those poor defenseless trees. Going to hunt over on JD's place. Found some big oaks over there last weekend. Hope it pays off. Something WILL die this weekend! :shoot: :shoot: :shoot:

Mrbowdeadly

Travis the Doeslayer with his favorite smokepole "meatgetter"

MBD

Attachments

• travisresize.gif
    travisresize.gif
    62.1 KB · Views: 123

Mrbowdeadly

and again, get it boy get it.

Attachments

• travisdoefourwheeler.gif
    travisdoefourwheeler.gif
    71.2 KB · Views: 123

horsecreek

went up and dad got 2. 1 small button (I popped it up and he got head shot on it at 70yrds. chalk that up to bad luck.
then got doe that afternoon (sat). I had a very nice 8-10pt come in at 6pm but could only watch. I had nothing to shoot at it with :whip: :whip: :banginghe :banginghe
LONG STORY.........and it wasnt that I forgot gun at home. but I was going to the woods. I forgot camera as that was the plan to take it. I would of prob passed anyway as he was 2.5 maybee 3.5yr buck.Just not the buck I really want and have set to but never know until CRUNCH TIME... horns were not real heavy but very decent on hight. spread almost 2 ears but couldnt get real great view through the oak limbs as it was shady. I had taken a tarsal gland off a huge 245lb buck at processor and hung it up by stand. this buck was just eatin some acorns and stopped. and walked over to his rub (fresh) and stood there and let off a load..he was Like, Im fixing to get by tail whooped!!!
He left with no scare so that was good. Hopefully get another look at later in year but dont know when wil get back. maybee mid NOV and HOPEFULLY WITH A WEAPON!!!
That buck doenst know it but I shot him 50 times with my finger.... :eek: