Does the DNR even care?

There’s people all over some of the FB hunting groups that are killing and posting does and the counties that they’re killing them in and the counties are not either sex yet. I talked to a man that owns and operates a deer processor and he said it’s unreal at the people that’s bringing in does with a confirmation number and it’s being tagged in counties that aren’t either sex yet. Yes I know you can kill does all season with archery equipment but when they’re posing with the deer and a rifle laid across it it’s kind of hard to claim archery kill. The man at the processor said that a lot of people don’t even have licenses when they bring the deer in so he shows them how to go online and buy them. Then he shows them how to register the deer to get the confirmation number and they mark modern firearms and anterless deer then mark a county that’s not even either sex yet.

Your going to be publicly stoned for even bringing this up….I tried a couple years back and almost got strung up….lol

To answer your question, no I don’t think they care.

Apparently, I should be a game warden or the HOA president. lol

Last edited:
My guess is there are way more people and area than they can cover and enforce with the man power they have. So they probably prioritize on level on severity. Unless some one calls them and complains and said individuals and gives them all the info for them to make a easy enforcement of it probly doesn’t get much attention.. kinda like traffic laws and the way people are driving today aren’t enough law people to enforce it. So they just have to wait till crap happens and then go work it

bonecollector123

Not enough officers to cover the areas. A few years ago I hunted a club where some guys were shooting 5-6 bucks and spotted deer it was bad so I called to turn them in the warden told me he knew where I was hunting but didnt know if he could get by there because he was the only warden for 9 counties. He told me some weeks he had to pay for his own gas in his truck. He suggested we throw them out of the club.

rugerfan

This is just sad to me. Look I get it that some people need the meat, but if they need it that bad I don't think they would be posting to social media, but of course we live in a different time these days.

I hope that people realize that overkilling will create hard times in the future. Yes, that is my opinion.

I hope in the future that the state's budget gets worked out we get more DNR officers, so that people can once again get their possessions confiscated for doing illegal activities. Why is it so hard to just do the right thing???

tr21

the problem is a few years ago the DNR made it's people choose to work either the law enforcement or the land/game management side instead of having them do both. have you noticed some DNR people who no longer carry weapons ? or noticed their trucks even some have just DNR emblems and a few have LAW ENFORCEMENT ? there's the problem.......

dang

DANG !!!
It’d be pretty easy for someone with entry level SQL to whip together a report for deer checked outside of the parameters of the seasons / county doe days / limits, etc. I’d be extremely surprised if you told me they don’t have something like that already built into a dashboard or some sort of daily / weekly reporting ???

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
It’d be pretty easy for someone with entry level SQL to whip together a report for deer checked outside of the parameters of the seasons / county doe days / limits, etc. I’d be extremely surprised if you told me they don’t have something like that already built into a dashboard or some sort of daily / weekly reporting ???

Yep, we've got that. While we still have to run the query to build a report for LE, I'm hoping to have it built into an instant report that all of our LEO's to access on the fly just searching by county. They do follow up on the majority of deer reported to Game Check outside the legal seasons.

dang

DANG !!!
Yep, we've got that. While we still have to run the query to build a report for LE, I'm hoping to have it built into an instant report that all of our LEO's to access on the fly just searching by county. They do follow up on the majority of deer reported to Game Check outside the legal seasons.
Love to hear that!

Resica

There’s people all over some of the FB hunting groups that are killing and posting does and the counties that they’re killing them in and the counties are not either sex yet. I talked to a man that owns and operates a deer processor and he said it’s unreal at the people that’s bringing in does with a confirmation number and it’s being tagged in counties that aren’t either sex yet. Yes I know you can kill does all season with archery equipment but when they’re posing with the deer and a rifle laid across it it’s kind of hard to claim archery kill. The man at the processor said that a lot of people don’t even have licenses when they bring the deer in so he shows them how to go online and buy them. Then he shows them how to register the deer to get the confirmation number and they mark modern firearms and anterless deer then mark a county that’s not even either sex yet.
Maybe the processor should call the warden instead of telling people how to buy a license after the fact. Ridiculous.

OwlRNothing

Your going to be publicly stoned for even bringing this up….I tried a couple years back and almost got strung up….lol

To answer your question, no I don’t think they care.
I think some of them care. I just think that the new, modern political climate we've allowed here in America keeps them from caring in some cases where they might care more. That's about all I'm gonna say on that here.
As for taking deer illegally:
1. I wouldn't do it unless it was a last resort.
2. In Biden era America with food prices (and everything else) skyrocketing with no end in sight, whether we're in "last resort" territory is probably up for debate. Who can say what kind of financial shape these people are in, and whether or not they really need to meat to feed their families? I'm sure most don't - but do they all just poach deer for "fun" or to get a jump on other hunters? All of them? Really??? Debatable. ( or not?!)
3. If I ever did decide to poach deer or fish, I sure as heck wouldn't be stupid enough to post about it on social media.
4. I have always said (despite being lambasted and slandered about it b/c some folks can't read) that the DNR/WRD is like any large organization. There are some really good people who choose that career and do a great job every day they put on the uniform. That said, I think the organization as a whole could be better, but that's easy enough to say about any organization. All that said, a little criticism doesn't mean anyone is saying that the DNR as an agency comprised of thousands of people, is evil or incompetent or needs to be shut down. Good people can only do so much and keep their jobs. You rock the boat too hard, and any company or org. will have you cleaning bathrooms in Macon. No offense to you good folk in Macon. ahem.

Last edited: