Don't Be Afraid!

Jester896

Senior Clown
I saw a question in another forum that I participate in some and thought that I would share this here. Their question was about removing Molly coating from bullets they were thinking about picking up but were unsure of them being Molly coated.

I had seen where ammonia or BarKeeper's Friend would remove Molly coating from bullets so I ran a little test this morning. I have never really tried to remove it but do put it on my long range bullets.

For this test I used 1 TBS of BarKeeper'd Friend in 1C of warm water. I picked up the BarKeeper's Friend powder at Lowe's last night for $2.16 I think. I had a bottle of clear Publix's Ammonia already that I use to clean out my spray tank after using Round-Up...not sure of the cost...PG got it for me.

These were a box of older Nosler BT that I had picked up in a trade I made.
IMG_0540.jpg
IMG_0541.jpg

As you can see they may have been coated with an older method. Anyway I put enough ammonia in a Mason Jar to cover the bullets and the BarKeeper's Friend mix in another jar. I figured it was going to be the easiest way to keep my Ultrasonic fairly clean to make things go faster.

I let the ammonia ones soak while I started with the BarKeeper's Friend batch and let them soak while I ran the ammonia batch, both of them ran for a normal 180 cycle. I rinsed them both well and dried them on a paper towel. The molly continued to come off on the BarKeeper's Friend batch as evident from the black on the towel.

Here are the results.
Ammonia:
IMG_0542.jpg
Most of the molly is gone and it doesn't come off on the towel but are discolored.
BarKeeper's Friend:
IMG_0543.jpg
You can see much more came off and is still coming off on the paper towel.

Then I ran both batches through the corncob with Nu-Finish for 30 minutes each separately.
Ammoinia:
IMG_0548.jpg

BarKeeper's Friend:
IMG_0549.jpg

Either of these are still suitable for plinking or deer harvesting..IMO. I combined them and put them back in the Thumbler's Tumbler to see if they polish up any better.

All minimal effort really...no need to be afraid of them.

bullgator

I used to coat mine with Danzac, but I never tried to remove it.

Jester896

Senior Clown
What is the Molly coating hurting by being on there? Why remove it?

IMO nothing.
The question someone else had was how to remove it.
I just tried to show how easy it was to remove. I guess I didn’t do a good job.

rosewood

Nice detailed process. Good work!

bighonkinjeep

I'm no metallurgist but it's my understanding that moly acts similar to or may even be a PTFE that doesn't just coat, but impregnates itself into metals at the molecular level.

rosewood

I'm no metallurgist but it's my understanding that moly acts similar to or may even be a PTFE that doesn't just coat, but impregnates itself into metals at the molecular level.
That is probably why the bullets don't look like new uncoated bullets now.

Jester896

Senior Clown
That is probably why the bullets don't look like new uncoated bullets now.

They were probably done the old way with a glass jar and ball bearings in a tumbler. When we do them when we can't get them factory coated we do them with ceramic media in a Lyman tumbler.

After I finished all of this I put them back in the tumbler and they came out a lot better. I was just trying to show the how to and with minimal effort. They would still be good plinking or hunting bullets...don't know if I would try to shoot a .5MOA group at 1K with them.