Early, Miller and Seminole counties Ga

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
So far my season isn't been so good. The old back has been bad, two shots and it's still no better. Would love to get a doe or two for the meat before the season goes out. I've been a few times, seen some does and young bucks. But with back pain, I've just watched them, knowing what a job it is to butcher one. Only thing that relieves the pain is cold, a cold pack. But can't keep cold on all the time. The club hasn't had much hunter or deer activity so far. Maybe when people start coming hunting, I can get help with loading and butchering. Knowing some of them will do so. It's the golden years, at 81 plus, the gold goes to the medical profession. If you have any.....lol
I haven't seen a mature buck yet. Guess going more often and remaining awake would help.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Drought plus warm weather has the deer almost completely shut down in our woods in Miller Co. Four cell cams have gotten only two mature bucks in the last month. Hope I get to go soon, still favoring the old back. Weather changes doesn't help it much. But I have a plan. A small cooler to take some hot bean bags to the stand with me for the back. And a buddy heater to make it comfortable enough to take a nap in the elevated blinds I've installed over the years. It's all about comfort for me these days.

HIGH COUNTRY

Same here, not any mature or even semi mature bucks on cells in last ten days. Need rain as much as cooler weather... Snakes prob stll crawling, be careful!

Reactions: Son

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
My bad luck continues. Finally got the old back managed so it's not too bad and my truck quit a week ago. I gave my Ford Explorer to a stepson last year. Bad timing. I intended on buying another Nissan pickup but didn't find anything I liked. Then the prices went through the roof. Here I sit. But at least I can still enjoy the photo's my cell cams send. Might not be missing much, the cams haven't gotten a mature buck since bow season. And then I only got one mature buck. The club manages, lets young bucks walk, but for two seasons now, we're seeing less mature bucks. Has me wondering if night hunting hogs or crop depredation permits could be select shooting?? It's never been this bad, and the club sure are not taking them out. We've been having problems with trespassers coming across the line. My club gets the blame for trespassing, but it's not us. Somebody at night is running all over the area. Our gate chain has been cut several times, I called the SO, and they came out and said get their tag number. We tried but at night the tail light glare washes out their tag number. But we know they went out through 3D cattle company to the north of us. They have gates along our property line. We have installed a chain they can't cut now, but bet they can cut the locks. When my truck is repaired, I will be doing all I can to catch them if I have to sit in the woods all night.

twtabb

Not sure what is going on at our place in Miller. Been twice and haven’t seen a deer. Usually see several every time I go for the last several years.

Warm weather and lack of rain plus I think they have a new food source.

Still got a lot of season left. Freezer is empty and ready for some deer meat.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Not sure what is going on at our place in Miller. Been twice and haven’t seen a deer. Usually see several every time I go for the last several years.

Warm weather and lack of rain plus I think they have a new food source.

Still got a lot of season left. Freezer is empty and ready for some deer meat.
Hang in there, it's all we can do. I have four cell camera's going and they're not getting much deer movement, especially with bucks. I wish DNR would outlaw night hunting hogs with night vision. I'm thinking many good bucks don't make it to deer season, could be ya know.

oldways

I haven’t been over there in a year now I usually hunt the WMA and see good deer but last time I went the folks came in on Friday and partying all weekend told my son I wasn’t going back until the DNR put some regulation on it. It’s ridiculous smoking dope drinking and raising cane all night long no quiet times. I wish they close it for a couple years or close the doe days out. Get it back like it was

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
I've missed most of the season, medical reasons, truck down etc. I'm hoping the meds doc called in today will get me back in the woods. H. Pylori, first contacted in the Navy years ago, flares up now and then. Very painful in the intestines. I better get over it soon, and get a couple deer before the season goes out. All I've been able to do is sit home and look at cell cam photo's. Batteries dead in a couple, I need to get up to change them. Each year seems to get tougher for this old fellow. I'll be 82 in March. Cams show lots of hogs, some young bucks and does. No trophies yet.

HIGH COUNTRY

Im beginning to see some aditional challenges at 68, knee/rotator cuff injuries and to top it off I have been bow only and still hunt 18 to 20 feet mostly loc ons, I def get help dragging one out. I do still carry 50 lb bags corn, and relocate stick ladders all the time. Went to trad archery recurve this year and loving it, verdict is stil out can I really pull it off on a great buck or not. I will adapt as I have to, even moving to hunting to ground and even afternoons as I have to - those cold mornings seem colder now than they used to. Three am's in the row, even with naps and going to bed early and skipping some afternoons is my limit. All I can say is that we just have to be thankful and enjoy each and every day, I learn that more every day! Look up what Clint Eastwood had to say about "not letting the old man in" - he is a tough son of a gun.

jcbcpa

Bucks have really been moving up her in Clay/Early Co. since Thanksgiving. This past Monday my wife and I were coming home from a trip to Carrabelle and between Blakely and Ft. Gaines we counted 5 different bucks side of the road. It was about 7:00 pm or so. 3 were small bucks but 2 of them had good racks. All were big bodied deer.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Still haven't made it to the woods, Still taking meds for H. Pylori, it's been rough. Feeling some better today. Grandson came up from south Florida and put a fuel pump in the truck. Missing the woods, that's for sure. Still have some cell cams going and not seeing any mature bucks roaming yet, so Maybe I'm not missing much.

talisman

Still haven't made it to the woods, Still taking meds for H. Pylori, it's been rough. Feeling some better today. Grandson came up from south Florida and put a fuel pump in the truck. Missing the woods, that's for sure. Still have some cell cams going and not seeing any mature bucks roaming yet, so Maybe I'm not missing much.
Just take it easy and get well

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
Son hope to hear that you’re much better real soon. When they announce commence ship’s work, I want you to turn to. We all need to hear of your new adventures.

Reactions: Son

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Son hope to hear that you’re much better real soon. When they announce commence ship’s work, I want you to turn to. We all need to hear of your new adventures.
I finally convinced the doc to prescribe antibiotics. Belly pain is gone, but I have 12 more days of two pills twice a day. I've been dealing with this stuff off and on since Navy days 1964. It shows up about every four years or so, it never goes away evidently. So says my druggist I'm missing deer season and being with my friends in the woods. They haven't killed much, I think 3 bucks and some does. Maybe I'm not missing much on hunting, but I'm saving on fuel by not traveling. I'm almost 84, and this year hasn't been friendly. Thanks for the comments.

HIGH COUNTRY

Last week lots activity thrusday pm and friday, then the cold front - thought it would be on fire but it actually died - like cutting off light switch. Similar stories from others in the area and even neighboring county.

HIGH COUNTRY

Deer hitting corn feeders really heavy, big bucks are nocturnal mostly around the feeders... This will be the first extended season to late January for us bowhunters, wonder how much it will change over the next four weeks - I predict that they will hit the corn even more. Just not sure about not being nocturnal, I guess after guns quit going off on the 15th then they may have less intrusion and noise and could settle down some into more daylight activity. I know one thing for sure, 40 degrees in January is much colder than 40 degress in November - not to mention 29-31 range. Geez!!!